It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: once fired hulls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:04 pm 
Field Grade

Just wondering how you can tell a hull has been fired once or if reloaded multiple times?

Post subject: Re: once fired hulls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I only load Remington STS and AA's. When they are newer, you can tell by looking at the primer. The factory loaded primer is different that the primers I used to load with. After more than a couple loadings, the hulls start getting black at the mouth and they are obviously used.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I just look at the mouth. If I can't tell the difference between once fired and fired a couple of times, I don't care.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The key to differentiating between a hull that is once fired or has been reloaded (and thus discarded by the one who did the reloading) is by looking at the primer. The OEM primers typically are monotone while the aftermarket primers used by reloaders are multi-colored. I think. Or maybe it's the other way around.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

About the only once fired I can identify via primer is Remington. Remington primers are all brass (or brass color) - the cup and the flange. You CAN buy the same primers Remington uses in factory shells. BUT, they are so darned expensive, almost no one does. If you find a fired Rem hull with a Rem primer it is PROBABLY once fired, or loaded once by someone new to reloading who has not yet realized there are much cheaper alternatives that work just as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Instead of trying to figure out what primer is what, look at the crimp end. A once fired hull is very clean with little or no powder residue. The crimp folds are usually lightly defined.

The difference between a once fired and twice fired hull is fairly obvious. We taught part time help, high school kids the difference in about 15 minutes.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 am 
Diamond Grade

In some cases, if the factory primer and reload primer are the same, you can’t tell if they are once, twice or...... fired.
The crimp deteriorates with each firing but it’s not an exact science or not the exact same with every Hull.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:45 pm 

albatros wrote:
About the only once fired I can identify via primer is Remington. Remington primers are all brass (or brass color) - the cup and the flange. You CAN buy the same primers Remington uses in factory shells. BUT, they are so darned expensive, almost no one does. If you find a fired Rem hull with a Rem primer it is PROBABLY once fired, or loaded once by someone new to reloading who has not yet realized there are much cheaper alternatives that work just as well.

That apparently works on the Remingtons that you are finding. They have at least one line of shells that use a primer that has a nickel strike surface surrounded by a copper-colored ring.
These are a smidge larger than the others and domestic primers can be placed by thumb pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:03 pm 
Crown Grade

The inside is typically as clean as the outside as well.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Curly-Nohair wrote:
albatros wrote:

That apparently works on the Remingtons that you are finding. They have at least one line of shells that use a primer that has a nickel strike surface surrounded by a copper-colored ring.
These are a smidge larger than the others and domestic primers can be placed by thumb pressure.

Damn! They do this crap just to mess with me. I'll be on the lookout.