It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New vs "old" Clays
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:17 pm 
Limited Edition

I will soon be returning to Clays powder for my 12ga loading, after using Alliant powders due to the nonavailability of Clays.
It seems to me that there was a problem with the new Clays that was mfg'd in Canada at the start, and I understand that the problem has been corrected ?
Is there a way for me to ID the problem powder, as lots of times powder can set on a dealers shelf for a long time.
What was the problem with the early production Clays ?
How can I be sure that I get the current Clays ?
How does the new powder load and shoot compared to the old "Austraila" Clays ? Is it as clean as the old powder, and does it meter as well ?

Post subject: Re: New vs "old" Clays
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As I recall the 'new' Clays is a lot denser then the old. So weigh your drops at the beginning of each bottle and adjust your bushing accordingly and you wont have any problems.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

You can also use Clay Dot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 8 lb jug of "new" clays was purchased this summer. I see no difference in it and in old clays. The same or within 1 bushing. Very clean in the bore. Meters about the same. Nothing meters really well for me. I used a jug of Claydot in between the old and new Clays. Did not like the Claydot as well as the Clays. The density was lowert and it left more residue in the bore. Maybe I underloaded it.

Clays sold so fast when they started back with it that I do not think you are in danger of getting one that has been sitting for a while if you go with a major distributor like Grafs or Gamiel. Maybe some local gun store has one he could not sell but I doubt it.

Last edited by Bill M. on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There should be a code imprinted on the container that will allow you to decipher the date of bottling. The first part of the code will tell you the size of the container. The rest of the code is the bottling date. The later the bottling date the better as my impression of the board traffic on Clays density issue is that they have gotten a handle on it. But, as always, weigh your powder drops whenever you open a new keg from a different lot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I couldn't be happier with getting back on board with Clays.
That being said, I can't comment on old vs new. Just that it's funny that they're Made on Canada, packaged in the USA and sold back to me in Canada.
It burns as clean as it ever did for me and the stack height is perfect.
I found that I had to move DOWN two bushing sizes from published MEC numbers fwiw.
Perhaps confirming SteveY comments.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use universal clays, both the old and new and after adjusting for the more dense new, shoots great in my .40 and 16ga.

16 ga Browning A-5 1929
16 ga H&R 1908
16 ga Bridge GunCo
16 ga Western Auto Revelation
16 ga 2 Intrac O/U
16 ga Lefever nitro special 1925
16 ga Marlin 90 1939
16 ga Iver Johnson Champion