It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eagle Brand Shot-DRY-No graphite in it- Is this normal?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been out of reloading for 2 years and recently purchased three bags (locally) of Eagle Magnum Lead Shot and it is clean as a whistle. It has not graphite residue on it at all. Looked at some old Lawrence shot I have and when I handle it leaves gray dust on my hand. The Star shot does not leave any residue. Its bright and shiny. I am having trouble loading with it in my PW 850+. The charge bar gets very stiff and is causing havoc with the PW indexing correctly. When I drain the shot reservoir , all is good.
Should I go buy some graphite somewhere(?) or return the shot?

Post subject: Re: Eagle Brand Shot-DRY-No graphite in it- Is this normal?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought some Eagle brand shot from Gamaliel's and noticed that too. It doesn't cause any problems in my MEC 650 so I ignore it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I typically use 10-20 bags of Eagle a year. If I cannot find Lawrence, it might be 30-40 bags. I don't actually know if it has graphite on it. I never worried about it. The Eagle has always loaded fine- not a bit of problems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 am 
Presentation Grade

I have mixed shot of no graphite, with shot with that had graphite and seamed to work okay.

Last edited by chips&clays on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:38 am 
Crown Grade

Whats a PW 850 plus? Do you mean a PW 950 plus instead.

As for problems with the PW top end, when was the last time you did a good cleaning on it, and does it still have the plastic hopper plate?

When you do a good cleaning on the top end, you have to get the crap that can get under the shut off plates out of the machine. The easy way to do this is with the bushing carrier removed, use a air nozzle with an air compressor to shoot air under the shut off plates as you are moving the shut off levers from side to side as you slightly pull them up. This will lift the shut off plates far enough upwards to get under them with air, while at the same time not living the plates too high to loose the detent balls and springs.

As for the plastic hopper plates, they sucked from the beginning, since over time they will warp, and allow shot to get between the plate bottom and carrier; to migrate shot/shear shot to cause a mess in the carrier bushing housing.

If you still have the plastic top plate, upgrade it with the aluminum plate.
https://www.reloaders.com/collections/m ... e-aluminum

One last thing, and with the machine clears and the hopper removed (top plate still on the carrier housing), the hull insertion post and the primer assembly removed, lever the handle all the way up and back, and look through the powder funnel of the hopper plate, and make sure that the powder bushing/shot bushing is centered in the funnel channel.

The way the center post indexing machine's work, is on the back/bottom of the cross plate, there is a detent that should be coming down to max out on the top of the limiting post on the back of the base plate below the cross plate detent (this sets the above bushing timing to the hopper plate funnel channels). What happens since the machine is factory timed to this, someone will come back after the fact and either set the shell insertion post, or the primer assembly too high, and instead to the cross plate detent to the top of the limiting post setting the handle all the way up and back position, the two tools listed set too high will limit the handles all the way back position instead (which now no longer has the powder and shot bushing centering on the hopper plate funnel channels as you handle up and all the way back).

So again, the cross plate detent to the top of the limiting post is always the handle back up and back limiter, and when you are adjust the hull insertion post and primer assembly, you have to make sure that they are set to that detent against the limiting post position; not set higher to become the new limiting stops isntead.

As for back to the eagle shot, it has been graphite enough for a PW machine, but not to the point that the shot is swimming in graphite to make a mess of things instead.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Eagle shot is fine and has enough graphite on it. A little graphite goes a long way. If there is enough graphite to leave a coating of graphite on the machine......that is too much.

DO NOT use WD40 on shot. that will wash off the graphite and it could/may seep down into the powder charge.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry for the wrong model, it is an 800 +. I removed cleaned under the shut Off plates. And verified timing as Dano523 suggested. Seems to be smoother and so far is running fine. Thanks as always for the great advise.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

I ran across this last week too when dumping some additional bags into my 5 gallon dipping bucket. It didn't look near as shiny as previous bags. I had thinks all set up loading 30 gram loads (1-1/16 oz) and bored my 1 oz bar out to accommodate. Spot checked on first thousand or so loads, spot on at 460+/- a few grains. WTF, now it dropped off to barely 440, and mostly on the low side of that. A true 1 oz load. The volume would still be dropping what the previously verified 30 gram weight showed, but now it weighs an ounce. I understand the changes in weights from varying hardnesses, but this is the same shot, just different bags. Oh, and by the way, it was also more powdery looking, (like the OP said) and I get a little puff of dust often when the shot tube comes up. I can't imagine this shot being that oxidized, but what makes the wt/density change like it did?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm 
Crown Grade

CMT1 wrote:
Sorry for the wrong model, it is an 800 +. I removed cleaned under the shut Off plates. And verified timing as Dano523 suggested. Seems to be smoother and so far is running fine. Thanks as always for the great advise.

The 800 times a little differently than the 900 machine, where at the height of the limiting post is adjusted to center the shot and powder bushings on the funnels with the cross plate dentet hard against the top of it, while on the 800, its the cam place assembly in the same location on the machine, with the cross plate detent pushing the cam plate all the way down in the assembly housing instead.

Hence both have bolts with lock nuts on the bottom of them, and when either machines are first adjusted, the height of either the limiting post, or cam plate assembly are set so it limits the handle all the way up and back so the bushings are centered in the hopper plate funnel channels. Once this adjustment has been made, then the hull insertion post and primer assembly are adjusted to the handle/cross plate to top of limiting post/ top of cam plate forced all the way down in its housing via the cross plate detent.