It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buffer leaked out of Federal 4 buck -- Safe to shoot?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I've had some 3" Federal plated 41 pellet 4 buck parked for a while because after having them in and out of the gun so many times without firing them (predator control) most of the buffer has spilled out of some and all of the buffer has spilled out of others.

Although Federal customer service tells me they are safe to shoot, that they just won't pattern as well, I still feel weird about firing a lighter payload with the same powder charge. I also don't like the idea of having the shot laying across the bottom of shell with air on top.

Do any of you reloaders believe that these could be unsafe? I know Federal says they are safe and all, but Remington also tells me it's fine that primers are blowing out of their newer 22 Hornet ammo...so I'm a little skeptical of the manufacturers opinions these days despite the common perception that they will always give a "cover your legals" answer.

Post subject: Re: Buffer leaked out of Federal 4 buck -- Safe to shoot?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Buffer increases pressure in buckshot loads; you just decreased the pressure of these shells by losing all the buffer, so they'll certainly be safe to shoot. It's not a huge effect, so you won't suddenly have a bunch of squibs, either. Whether they'll have the same performance or not is another matter entirely. I suspect the velocity will be about the same, but pellet deformation will increase and widen the patterns significantly (just like the nice folks at Federal already said.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The pellets are not just laying in the bottom of the shotcup, because the pellets were not laying on a bed of buffer. The buffer fills in the spaces between the pellets, which gives the pellets no space to deform into.

The weight of the buffer is irrelavant to payload weight and to increasing chamber pressure. However the buffer raises the pressure because the shot and buffer basically makes the payload a solid mass, which is more difficult for the expanding gases to move, which raises the chamber pressure.

Bottom line is listen to Federal.

aka Mr. Tactful

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the explanations, exactly what I was looking for!

When I was worried about "the shot laying across the bottom of shell" I meant in firing position which would otherwise be the side of the shell. When I shook the shell it would rattle and when I turned it sideways it didn't rattle as much...or rattled differently...so I cut one open and the pellets have enough room to add a layer to the gravity side and kind of avalanche leaving an air pocket sky-side...I never leave any air in my load with my flintlock/fowler so was worried this would be the same thing.

Maybe I'll see if I can get any constancy with them...otherwise it's a quick trim and into the black powder bin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Shoot the things.

Some things merit worrying about, this isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:39 am 
Diamond Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
Shoot the things.

Some things merit worrying about, this isn't one of them.
100% agree. Your worrying needlessly CJ about something that warrants no worry at all.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”