It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with a MEC adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just installed an EZ Primer Feed on a 20ga 600 Mk.5. Had to take apart the sizing due to get the primer feed on. This included taking off the primer punch. Gonna have to do this again once I get my Ultimate Knockout in the mail. I don’t think I’m re-installing and adjusting the Primer punch properly and the MEC instructions aren’t very clear to me. Anyone have any tips or guidelines they follow for adjusting/setting up the primer punch.

Post subject: Re: Need help with a MEC adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bigrobbierob wrote:
I don’t think I’m re-installing and adjusting the Primer punch properly and the MEC instructions aren’t very clear to me.

The primer punch should be adjusted so it knocks the primer out when the handle is at full stroke down with a little extra to spare.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Like Steve says, but keep in mind: not all primers are exactly the same. W209 are kind of two diameters. Push them out about half way and they drop. The punch might be working great on W209. Go to sonething like Fiocchi and you might have to drop it down a bit in order to get them to drop. NOT a big deal- just keep in mind that you MIGHT have to readjust a tad. If your punch is knocking euro primers out of steel head hulls dependably then it will probably be fine with all combos.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:19 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

With the handle fully down, tip of primer punch should be slightly below the top of the frame hole it works through.

DLM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:06 am 

D L Marcum wrote:
With the handle fully down, tip of primer punch should be slightly below the top of the frame hole it works through.

DLM

When you absolutely, positively want it to work right. There is no better answer. This setting should also apply with a hull in the crimp station to offset any linkage wear that is not evident with an empty platen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

Curly N wrote:
D L Marcum wrote:

DLM

When you absolutely, positively want it to work right. There is no better answer. This setting should also apply with a hull in the crimp station to offset any linkage wear that is not evident with an empty platen.

Yep. The punch doesn't have to stick out a long ways,, it just needs to stick out SOME, this insures that there is no way that a primer isn't pushed out completely.

It's not a terribly difficult or "fine" adjustment to make.

Works the same in metallic tools too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Roger on all. Guess I’m running it a little long after putting it back together. It sticks a tad out the bottom of the frame hole.