It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:54 am 
Utility Grade

I have been reading post on this forum for a while now. I really would like input on reloading. I will be reloading 28 ga and 410 ga. I have several times figured the cost from different companies and it seems as if I would save money but because I only use them for hunting I am unsure. Skeet shooting here is not an easy thing. I realize this is a topic that is debated a lot and I have spoken with different people about this and I always get a different answer. I am going to use the Lyman reloading manual if I start. While I cant stand sitting around or watching TV I still have to think of cost when doing something new. Thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: Reloading
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 am 
Diamond Grade

You won't save money, you'll just end up shooting more.
Lyman's shotshell reloading manual is a great how to read but actual loading data is available on line from Alliant, Hodgdon, and other powder distributors for free.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

You can save considerable amount per box loading for 410 and 28. But whether you can save enough with the volumes you use for hunting to pay for a loader and scale is debatable. You'll have to do your homework to find how long it will take to pay for a loader and scale.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:59 pm 
Field Grade

The savings when loading those two gauges really shines through with quality hunting loads. In my area a premium hunting load for either will upwards of $18. You can probably load them for $ 4 or even less. So if you shoot a lot of hunting loads it doesnt take long.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

How many boxes of 28s and 410s do you think you will shoot each year?
Where are you located?
The economics depend on the volume you shoot and sourcing components. If you decide to reload you must buy a loader. Low volume shooters would be happy with MEC 600's which you may find used for $50-75 each. Then you need to source the components at reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Used Mec (Ebay) is the way to go. One thing nobody mentions very often is reloading's fun and relaxing. Makes a great winter after the season hobby. 16,28,and .410 are very cost efficient. Especially .410. You can always recoup part of the cost be reselling the equipment if you don't like it. Another big thing is you can build loads unavailable on the market. I say go for it and enjoy. A pound of powder and 25 lbs. of shot can go a long long way loading .410 and 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Find someone in your area that already reloads and work out a deal. If you only need a few boxes each year it would be hard to justify buying a loader and if you really want to save you need to buy wads and primers by the case and powder in 4 or 8 lb containers.

Post subject: Reloading
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My buddy does not reload, I do. I reload his .410 and 28 ga target loads and he gives me a box of new factory 20 ga in exchange for each box that I reload. We are both happy.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:18 pm 
Field Grade

I have saved a huge amount of money since I started reloading 30 yrs ago.....said No One Ever :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
You can save considerable amount per box loading for 410 and 28. But whether you can save enough with the volumes you use for hunting to pay for a loader and scale is debatable. You'll have to do your homework to find how long it will take to pay for a loader and scale.

There's the option of selling your once-fired hulls too. In the preferred hulls, for reloading that's ~15 cents each or ~$4 per box in 28 and 410. But will hunting provide enough volume of clean desirable hulls is another question.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I live in Arkansas ( not my fault) shells for the 410 usually run about 17 to 18.00 a box and about the same to buy online for the 28. One of the reason I considered reloading was the difficult time i have finding good ammo, I usually order it online, simply to save money and not have to go to Walmart. I was also considering reloading rifle and 44, my math on the 44 comes out to about the same for ammo, but the 28 and 410 and much less than factory. I do appreciate everyone's information and thoughts on this. i look forward to reading more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Just a heads up -

Loading hunting size shot in 410s is burdensome.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

You've received some good info. How many boxes of each are you going to shoot in a year?

If you shoot 10 boxes of 28 gauge a year consider buying a flat of the AAHS when Winchester has their $2 per box rebate in the summer. Academy Stores sell Winchester 28's for $9 a box. Get the $2 rebate from Winchester. Sell the hulls for $3 a box. Presto you have a cost of $4 a box without the hassle of reloading. Not all hulls are worth selling but the Win AAHS in 28 and 410 sure are.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jinglebam, just wish you were a local to me. I have a Hornady 366 28ga. reloader, about 1K once fired compression formed hulls and a case of the origional pink wads I no longer use. It's just collecting dust and I would sell cheap but I don't want to ship.

TM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:10 am 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
Just a heads up -

Not if you are reloading on a PW. Hence I can drop up to #2 shot in 410 without bridging problems. The PW 410 shot drop tube is not that of one which goes inside the wad, but seal around the outside of the hull, with a much wider shot drop tube upper tube section instead. Also, with my 800 tweaked for 410, it reloads just as fast as my other machines set up in the other gauges at the rate of 2~3 flats a hour at a slower pace as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:01 am 
Crown Grade

Dano523 wrote:
ShowMe wrote:
Just a heads up -

Not if you are reloading on a PW.

Buying a P-W to load hunting loads is burdensome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:08 am 
Crown Grade

jinglebam wrote:
I really would like input on reloading. I will be reloading 28 ga and 410 ga.

Why load both? 28 gauge loads and 3" 410 loads are essentially equal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 am 
Diamond Grade

As Ohio Mike stated, reloading is fun and can be a hobby, one that also saves you money. A used Mec 600 is the cheapest way to go, and if the larger size shot bridging the drop tube is a problem with the 28 or 410, then a cheap set of plastic Lee shot/powder dippers could be used for measuring shot, and do that part by hand. What's also nice is over the years you'll accumulate enough different components that whenever you get the felling to try a different load you can just make it yourself, not try to find it, pay the high price, and wait to get it. Bingo - you win !!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:37 am 
Diamond Grade

First only buy Win 28 gauge ammo they are all HS hulls. Buy them by the flat AA288HS is what I get. Same for the 410 only win hulls. Since your hunting get the 3"hulls and load what you need for shot size. I buy Win Super-X #7.5 flats and reload them with #8 shot.

Here are two 28 gauge loads for the AA28HS hulls. Win209 primer, 13.0 grs 20/28, AA28HS wad, 3/4 ounce of Mag Shot (1200fps). Next listed amount of Lilgun with a SG28II wad and 7/8 ounce of Mag shot (1200 to 1300fps).

For the 410 HS hulls, win209, 17.0 grs of 300MP, SP410 or CB5050HS wad, 11/16 ounce of mag shot (1225fps @ 9,200psi). This will not equal the 28 gauge but this load comes close but with a smaller useful pattern. I use #8 shot and just buy ammo in #5 for rabbits.

Read the lyman manual lots of good information, but get the loads from Alliant and Hodgdon.

I can afford to shoot because I invested in reloading.