It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I was a little boy, my Daddy raised a few hogs, in addition to his dairy operation, which was his primary way of making a living. As I got older, I started reading his farm magazines that said a modern farmer should cost everything out, and treat farming like a business.

So I asked my Daddy, if his hogs made him any money, if he factored in his time, what his corn and milo he raised could sell for, and the rate of return on his ten acres where he kept his hogs.

He thought a bit, and said son, our family has owned that ten acres since 1876 so it's been paid for a long time, and I guess it doesn't matter too much what return per acre we get off that little piece of land. We aren't going to sell it, anyway, and it's not big enough to do anything other than pasture a few horses or raise a few hogs. As for the cost of their feed, I have to go to town about every day to get feed ground, anyway, and the place usually raises enough to feed the dairy cows and the hogs, and they don't pay me very much at all for corn or milo when I sell it, anyway. And I have to milk the cows twice a day, so feeding the hogs isn't much trouble at all.

But, he said, I've read those magazines too, and I suppose if you put a pencil to it, those hogs may not be making me any money. But the way I do it, if they don't make me a profit, at least when I sell a load of hogs I get a good chunk of money at one time, and they bunch money, sort of like a savings account.

And then he said, besides that, my folks had to put up all that hog wire fence during the Second World War to raise hogs, because hogs were high, during the war. We need to get some good out of all that hog wire fence, don't we?

I thought Daddy just liked to raise hogs, about the same way I like to reload shotgun shells.

If it doesn't pencil out, at least I have the makings for a whole bunch of shotgun shells, and I'm getting some good out of my big RCBS Grand reloader.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
DEG wrote:
casonet wrote:
I’ve never quite figured out why people hyperventilate over the cost for reloading after spending $10,000 for a Shotgun, $3000 for reloading equipment and components, monthly club dues, the cost of transportation to and from events together with range fees, clothing, ear protection, glasses and the list goes on and on. The pennies saved by reloading or buying new is absolutely trivial. I cannot figure out for the life of me why people are so obsessed over this. It’s nothing in the big picture. I reload because it’s a hobby that I happen to enjoy. I couldn’t care less about saving a penny a shell. It’s so small that it disappears in the noise level.

It is not possible for you to figure it out, because can't possibly understand the value other people place on their time or how much recreational value other people place on reloading. You also may not understand that many people who are able to afford all the things you mentioned do so because they developed a habit of not wasting time or money.

People who think their "time" carries "value" when no-one is paying them, when their 'time' pays them the same sitting in front of the TV, the loading bench, or the BBQ grill making dinner have an over-inflated sense of the "value" of their 'time'.

The value of time has very little to do with how many $$ a person receives from their time. There are people who would get a greater value spending a couple of hours watching a movie with the kids than they would spending that same time sitting at the reloading bench. It's pretty arrogant to say they have an "over-inflated sense of value of their time" just because they may not value the same things you value.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m not getting into this senseless debate. I’ve stated my opinion and several posters agree. I stand by my opinion. Of course, you may disagree as you have.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:00 pm 
Crown Grade

DEG wrote:
The value of time has very little to do with how many $$ a person receives from their time. There are people who would get a greater value spending a couple of hours watching a movie with the kids than they would spending that same time sitting at the reloading bench. It's pretty arrogant to say they have an "over-inflated sense of value of their time" just because they may not value the same things you value.

Having a feeling of where your time is "more important to you" is one thing.

The people who stick a dollar figure, on the "time" they spend loading ammunition, so as to add it into their imagination of a "cost of reloading", is "an over-inflated sense of value of their time", unless they are turning down pay to do that loading.
"I'll pay you $50 to come mow my yard,, will take about 2 hours. Naw, thanks, I need to make some shells for those couple hours."
THAT'S $25 Labor/Time Cost in your reloaded ammunition.

The time I spend on a Sunday (like today), cleaning the BAR and LR308 (just finished), loading ammunition, or splitting firewood is NOT "worth" the $60 an hour that it would be worth if I were at work tonight (won't be).
My "time" spent doing those things is calculable at $0/hour, because no-one is offering to pay me that if I refuse to do the things I am doing.

I did not clean those rifles last night because I decided THEN that the time was "more worth used" ("more valuable"???) grilling dinner, and eating dinner while watching Iron Chef Gauntlet with my wife.
The "monetary value" of that time last night, was still $0/hour.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This whole business of trying to assign a $/hr to the time devoted to reloading is nonsense. Nobody who reloads is doing so at a time when they could do doing something else that someone was willing to pay them to do. This is the quintessential definition of "spare" time. It is a time most people cherish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:30 am 
Crown Grade

Nebs has it right! How many $$ do you "earn" for each hour spent hunting or watching TV, or on the internet, or any other activity? If you don't figure THAT, then why try to assign it as a "cost" of reloading??!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 am 
Field Grade

I have never saved a penny reloading and if I have I'm still waiting on the check.
I do it for the relaxation and fun of it - but I'm a little touched.
I cast, wildcat, muzzle load and have done shotshells since I was 10.
For people who don't understand - you never will.
I ALLMOST like reloading more than shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:00 am 
Diamond Grade

750k2 wrote:
I have never saved a penny reloading and if I have I'm still waiting on the check.
I do it for the relaxation and fun of it - but I'm a little touched.
I cast, wildcat, muzzle load and have done shotshells since I was 10.
For people who don't understand - you never will.
I ALLMOST like reloading more than shooting.

Bizzactly {hs# {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like to reload.

I am saving money on components to reload my hunting ammunition compared to buying hunting ammo especially since it is 16 Gauge.

I am probably breaking even on components to reload 12 gauge target ammunition, if I compare it to Top Gun, Gun Club etc. which is not an apples to apples comparison. My reloads perform more like the true target ammunition than the Wallly World cheap stuff. (It isn't very difficult to do if you use Lawrence or West Coast magnum shot.)

The cost of components are the cost of my reloads. I don't include my time because..........

I like to reload.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am 
Diamond Grade

0026, I don't have to wait till I shoot it [ promo ] - I've been shooting it for years. I know what it's like to shoot black powder. Have you ever shot 150 rounds of it in one day ? It takes a whole 20 minutes to clean my old SxS when I do use it at SxS events. If guys like you don't think you're saving money or don't look at reloading more as a hobby then there's always other forums you can post on. I do it because I enjoy it, make it cheaper, can make about any load I want, and feel they're just as good as any factory load using Promo and Lawrence shot. Different people use different powders for various reasons. Any of our powders used in the correct application work as good as factory powders. Hard shot is hard shot. So what makes factory ammo better ? The wads or primers ? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Nebs wrote:
This whole business of trying to assign a $/hr to the time devoted to reloading is nonsense. Nobody who reloads is doing so at a time when they could do doing something else that someone was willing to pay them to do. This is the quintessential definition of "spare" time. It is a time most people cherish.

Exactly, because value often has nothing to do with currency.

That's exactly why someone with a $10,000 shotgun may decide not to load 12 gauge because the cost leads to minimal savings and they value another activity over spending time at the reloading bench. If the savings were greater, the value they see in spending time reloading increases. People who only see value in dollars and cents will have difficulty understanding why someone who drives a $60,000 and shoots a $10,000 shotgun might not value spending time at the reloading bench just to save a dollar a box.