It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm thinking about going to Graf and Sons and stocking up on reloading components.

I like Winchester 209 primers, which are currently $138 per 5,000, or 2.8 cents each.

The Windjammer wads are $83 per 5,000 which is 1.7 cents each.

Promo powder is 124 per eight pound jug, and that makes 3,200 17.5 grain loads, 3.9 cents each.

You spill some, you waste a few, so let's say the cost of primers is three cents, wads two cents, and powder four cents. If you shot a twenty gauge, you'd use less powder, but the powder would cost more, so it's all nearly the same. It's about nine cents to get ready to put lead on top.

The price of lead varies a lot. Grafs may have some bargain bags of old chilled shot, that cost only $33 per bag, but they might just have the magnum shot that costs $40 a bag.

At $33 a bag, and shooting 1 1/8 ounce of shot, there are about 355 shots per bag, so it's roughly nine cents per shot for lead.

At $40 per bag, and 1 1/8 ounces of shot, the cost goes up to about eleven cents a shot.

The cheapest you can get off loading standard 12 gauge trap and skeet loads is about 18 cents a shell, or $4.50 a box. Using the good, hard lead shot makes that $5 a box.

Loading only one ounce, drops the cost a penny a shell for the lead, more or less. Just over eight cents for cheap lead, and ten cents for hard, magnum shot. $4.25 or $4.75 a box.

Loading 7/8 ounce results in a lead cost of just under seven cents for cheap lead, eight cents for the good stuff. $4 or $4.25 a box, roughly.

The only way to save real money reloading for twelve or twenty gauge shells is to pretend you are getting $8 or $9 a box shells at a about half price.

That ain't true. Your shell factory in your reloading room doesn't have the quality control of the big factories that reload shells.

When the big box stores run specials on 12 and 20 gauge loads for fifty dollars a flat, you are better off money wise just buying a bunch of them, because the most you could save would be about a dollar, and you likely are not saving anything.

Still yet, reloading shells is all part of the game of shooting trap and skeet, and I'll keep doing it. I need to justify all these reloaders I have, I suppose, and if you load 28 gauge and .410 there are some real savings in reloading those.

Besides, we'd never get any use out of the wooden rod we keep to knock out the wads from our squib loads, otherwise.

Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 am 
Crown Grade

I think guys reload 12 gauge because they like to reload. I started reloading after buying my first 16. At first it was as much about having ammo as it was about saving money. Then I discovered Herter’s and the availability issue disappeared. Collecting Auto-5’s gave me the opportunity to save real money by reloading for the short chambered guns. I’m guessing I save about $10/box.

So, if you want to save big money, buy a pre-war Sweet Sixteen.

Last edited by Rudolph31 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don’t forget, you have Missouri state sales tax and the expense of driving to Grafs and back

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve never quite figured out why people hyperventilate over the cost for reloading after spending $10,000 for a Shotgun, $3000 for reloading equipment and components, monthly club dues, the cost of transportation to and from events together with range fees, clothing, ear protection, glasses and the list goes on and on. The pennies saved by reloading or buying new is absolutely trivial. I cannot figure out for the life of me why people are so obsessed over this. It’s nothing in the big picture. I reload because it’s a hobby that I happen to enjoy. I couldn’t care less about saving a penny a shell. It’s so small that it disappears in the noise level.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Last edited by casonet on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

No, no money saved on 12, but like Casonet said, it's a hobby and I enjoy it. Even my wife visits me and helps and enjoys it: reload together, shoot together and STAY TOGETHER, that is were the real cost savings is!
Keep the magic regardless of the cost is a win win!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
I’ve never quite figured out why people hyperventilate over the cost for reloading after spending $10,000 for a Shotgun, $3000 for reloading equipment and components, monthly club dues, the cost of transportation to and from events together with range fees, clothing, ear protection, glasses and the list goes on and on. The pennies saved by reloading or buying new is absolutely trivial. I cannot figure out for the life of me why people are so obsessed over this. It’s nothing in the big picture. I reload because it’s a hobby that I happen to enjoy. I couldn’t care less about saving a penny a shell. It’s so small that it disappears in the noise level.

Amen to this.
I started reloading in 1965, 12 ga.
And now load 28,20,16, and 12.
I enjoy reloading, a lot and never plan to quit, regardless if it costs a fraction of a cent more or less than a factory load.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:16 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:

And they drive a $60,000 dual wheel pickup to the trap range that gets 15 miles to the gallon and sign up for ALL the options on each event. If money is so important that you have to worry about $1-2.00 a box of shells then you really should not be trap shooting. Guys reload for lots of good reasons but if they think cost savings is high up on that list the are delusional. I reload for the same reason that I tied flies when I used to fish and made arrows when I was into archery.

This whole reloading thing is kind of like they guy that saves $1000 a year with a wood stove. Skipping (over of course) the coast of a chain saw, the log splitter, the pickup to haul it the wood, and the time spent. But hey, look how much you saved on fuel, or the guy that gets "free meat" by hunting.

I'm thinking maybe I need to buy a 28 gauge and a 410 and take up skeet. Cause, once I buy a press and components, I can save a ton on loading these gauges.

Last edited by albatros on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Went out and bought 10 flats on Black Friday for just under $50 bucks each. I can't load them for that if I figure my time is worth anything.

I have a bunch of stuff to reload 12ga with, and some of the old Lee Loader hand kits for 10ga, 20ga, and 28ga. (don't own a 28ga, just couldn't pass up an auction deal).

Once I get out of the apartment and into a house in the near future I'll probably set it all up and load stuff up during the winter. Not for any money savings, but just to wile away the long cold nights. I'd like to load some non-tox and low pressure stuff for the antiques, but I don't need all that much of that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

Looked at as a hobby in itself, reloading can be quite rewarding. Even though I only do 28ga, I really enjoy the process. So even though in my case there are real savings to be had, it simply does not matter to me. I would do it in any case.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I reload for about 5 bucks a box. But I get exactly what I want, when I want it. That is 1 ounce of Lawrence Magnum 7.5 or 8's at 1235 fps. I don't see that on sale for 5 bucks a box. It may be out there from time to time but I don't have to worry about trying to find it at regular intervals or spending a grand at the time buying it in big quantities.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I started reloading to save money on shells and for many years, I did save, even though I shot more. Back then I got my shot for free and most of my powder for free, so shells didn't cost me much. Some factory shells didn't cost much back then either. I could buy 12 gauge shells for $38 a case (that is a 20 box case, not a 10 box flat).

Now, I have to pay for my components and I probably don't save much if anything. However, I enjoy loading and I can get exactly the load I want. I could probably find what I want in factory loads but they wouldn't be the discount $5 a box loads.

One thing I've realized is that I need to shoot more. I'm at the age when some of my friends are passing away and I've been the recipient of kegs of powder, flats of bismuth shells and I don't know how many boxes of factory steel loads. I need to shoot that stuff up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't forget the tax?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I read over and over here that there is money to be saved only by reloading 28 ga and .410. That really isn’t true. You can save a lot by reloading your 12 ga field and hunting loads. Go check out what a box of heavy field loads costs these days. You will be shocked. Those can be reloaded for just a little more than what a target load costs; big savings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

Various phases.....

Thinking about reloading

Researching reloading

Reading about reloading

Shopping for things you really don't need for reloading

Justifying it to your wife....like she believes that

Buying more reloading things you do need in bulk that you will never ever use all of it in reloading

Having so much gunpowder that if you actually if there was a spark you could see the fireball from space

The bullets and lead you store has shelves built with 6x6 beams to support the weight

That extra reloader you really don't need but your buddy is letting it go cheap (compared to a BMW it's cheap)

Saying No to the just one additional reloading item is just not going to happen in this lifetime

The hours and hours you spend reloading is priceless.
Actually paying for therapy would be cheaper but this is more fun..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:29 pm 
Crown Grade

CrowCaller wrote:
Various phases.....

Thinking about reloading

Researching reloading

Reading about reloading

Shopping for things you really don't need for reloading

Justifying it to your wife....like she believes that

Buying more reloading things you do need in bulk that you will never ever use all of it in reloading

Having so much gunpowder that if you actually if there was a spark you could see the fireball from space

The bullets and lead you store has shelves built with 6x6 beams to support the weight

That extra reloader you really don't need but your buddy is letting it go cheap (compared to a BMW it's cheap)

Saying No to the just one additional reloading item is just not going to happen in this lifetime

The hours and hours you spend reloading is priceless.
Actually paying for therapy would be cheaper but this is more fun..... :mrgreen:

Well OKAY, now ther's a guy with some insight. A big plus 1 on the fireball from space. My shelves are still hanging in there with 4x4 posts but I can see reinforcing in the future. I see these discussions about storing hulls in 5 gal buckets and kitty litter buckets. I don't need no stinkin buckets. I need 55 gallon drums. I remember in times past Republican made a post about how many 25# bags of shot you could stack on your garage floor between the vehicle wheels. Now that's what I'm talking about! When I have a truck with a forklift delivering shot to my house, I will think of myself as a serious reloader. Till then- just dabbling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

....fireball from space.....

ROTFLMAO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

I load 3/4oz 12ga [ something I'd have trouble buying for a decent price ] because I don't like recoil for about 3.45/box. Don't tell me I'm not saving money reloading 12ga.
I do it because I enjoy it.
Can't buy 2 5/8" 10ga shells for my old SxS's, but sure as hell can reload em cheap.
Where can you buy black powder loads for around $10/box ?
Don't have to shop around for sales on special loads - make em myself.
I enjoy it - it's price less.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I load what I consider premium target loads for 4.25 to 4.60 depending on shot load. I can't buy premium loads for that. I can definitely save money on my hunting loads.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:

Exact same here.

IF the only thing I loaded and shot was clay target ammo, maybe I'd have some slight concerns over chasing the cost of el-supremo-cheapo factory-loaded shells.

I hunt, my hunting shotshells cost HALF (or even less) than what I'd have to pay for them.
Lead, or steel, and I am not buying #50 of powder and a pallet of shot at a time.

Every handgun load I load (5 different common calibers) is AT MINIMUM, 1/2 the cost of el-cheapo factory similar.
The "Social-Use" hollow-point loadings,,,,,,,even with THE SAME premium bullets,,,, 1/3rd the cost Over The Counter (if not less).

Rifle ammunition, I just finished working up a load for Hog's Bane (the Counter-Swine rifle I built last spring).
20 rounds of Barnes VOR-TX .308W, $44 at Cabellas $220/100
50 rounds of the same thing using the non-tipped TSX from my bench: $43 $86/100

Hornady American Whitetail deer load, 150gr .308 Interlock: $16 for 20 $80/100
100 rounds of the same thing from my bench: $33

It's a hobby I enjoy, I ALSO get to shoot a LOT more than I would if I was paying for factory ammo.

If I nickeled and dimed every hobby I enjoy, I'd have to quit them.
Camping.
Boating (especially when the boat being run is a late 70's big block jetboat).

"cost of time" is just simply, a stupid and pointless 'calculation'.

IF, it's a big 'if', IF someone is offering to pay you for the time that you spend loading ammo, THEN you have a 'cost of time'.
If you are not refusing to do paid work for the time you spend loading ammo, your "cost of your time" is "$0/hour".
I load ammo on my own time, days and weekends when I am not being offered paid work to do, that time is, by it's very definition "free", it has no 'value' in any monetary manner. It's only value is in that it exists unencumbered by other constraints of places I need to be instead doing other things instead.
Same as mowing my yard or shoveling off the front steps. These are only "expenses" if I am refusing to be paid by someone during that time to do something else.
If I can't get out of the driveway to go to work until I shovel it, that day spent "costs me" money (unless they are still paying me for leave time spent because I am not there).
If they are not paying me until I get there, that shoveling is costing me over $30 every hour I spend.
If it's Sunday and I am shoveling so I can get there Monday, that shoveling isn't costing me a nickel. same as loading ammo that same Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 pm 
Crown Grade

creeker wrote:
Don't forget the tax?

Right. The value added to your components by your work of assembling them into shotshells is essentially tax free income.
The same if you mow your own lawn instead of paying someone else to do it. The improvement and value added to your lawn causes no money to be sent to the government. But if you pay someone, you have to pay taxes on the money you earned in order to pay that person to mow your lawn, and the person who mowed that lawn has to pay taxes on that income.

DIY is the ultimate tax dodge.