It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am
Posts: 2951
Location: Newton Kansas
BTW............ We have 3 chainsaws, and a splitter, and, right next to the HVAC unit, a wood-fired furnace, attached to the Central Air ductwork.

For the sake of about 4 16-foot trailer-fulls of tree trunk sections that Westar Energy GAVE me (dropped off at the local zoo, free pick-up), so........ call it 50 gal. of gasoline driving, then about 4 gallons through the splitter (and some healthy exercise), I have next winter's heat stacked up in the wood pile right now curing.

Spent a decent bit of this past summer just cleaning up dead stuff from past cutting (power company again) that was left lay or broken over hedgerow trees within 1/4 mile of the house, dragged to the house, cut up, stacked in the basement bunker.

The house is whatever temperature I wish, for the cost of running 2 550cfm 110vac squirrelcage blower fans on the furnace.
Cooking a meal in the kitchen probably costs more in electricity a day than heating the house does.



_________________
I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:56 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:57 pm
Posts: 11
OK, let me weigh in on the side of those that enjoy reloading even if it doesn't pencil out against promo loads or other good discount shell buys. I reload 28ga and 12ga because I have those machines in progressive models. I view reloading as similar to tying flys for fishing. It connects you with the sport. My reloads perform about as well as factory loads now that I have many years of experience in working with the many recipes available and tweaking things to my liking. Yes, if I was shooting only tournament or competition clays, I would choose high end factory loads for their incredible consistency. My reloads are close, but not quite as good, as factory premium. But relaoding is fun, if you enjoy the time spent. Don't reload if the only reason is to save a few pennies per box. Reload for the sheer fun of it. At best you will do a little better than factory loads. But you might have some good fun making your own loads that you enjoy shooting and take pride in creating.
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Grayling, MI
I can afford to shot because I invested in reloading equipment. I save lots of money in gas and shipping cost because I buy in bulk from my club. Started reloading for 28 gauge and 410 (2 1/2 & 3") In the case of the 3" 410 I have a load better than any thing you can buy period. Now the 28 is all win components except powder. Shot is STS equal with win"s shot or I use Lawrance Hard Mag shot. At $4.24 a box its far cheaper and on par with OEM ammo. With just a wad and powder change I can load up in 28 gauge to 7/8 ounce, or 1 ounce in 20 gauge. Way cheaper than premium field loads. And it is a hobby as well a win win all around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:05 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 3685
SuperXOne wrote:
The cheapest you can get off loading standard 12 gauge trap and skeet loads is about 18 cents a shell, or $4.50 a box. Using the good, hard lead shot makes that $5 a box.


The only way to save real money reloading for twelve or twenty gauge shells is to pretend you are getting $8 or $9 a box shells at a about half price.


Everyday price for AAs at Academy is $7.99 ($5.99 net during rebate) with free shipping and no sales tax.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 184
Location: Ohio
For the last 8 years I’ve shoot nothing put 28 gauge and have saved over $5K. If and when I need empties I order a few flats from Academy and shoot them up, then reload them.

I would rather shoot my reloads than factory. They pattern better and my scores on skeet and Sporting Clays are better. That’s just me of course. Your shotgun may be different.

_________________
Bird dog guy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:42 pm
Posts: 24408
Location: Missouri
This afternoon, I'll drive to Grafs and pick up 15 bags of Eagle Brand Magnum #8 shot, one jug of Promo (I already have one jug), a case of five thousand Windjammer 1 1/8 ounce wads, and a sleeve of five thousand Winchester 109 primers. Our local club qualifies for a Graf's discount, if we pick up at Graf's.

To make a long story short, I'll have enough lead, powder, and wads to load five thousand rounds, twenty flats, of 1 1/8 ounce target load 12 gauge shotgun shells using magnum shot. With the discounts, and not counting my gas, since my wife wants to go to Montgomery City afterwards and pick up some glass doors for her garden, I'll have almost exactly 18 cents a shell, sales tax included, after I load these up. That's $4.50 a box, not counting the hulls.

I'll just pretend I'm saving three dollars a box on brand new AA's, which Grafs also sells.

That's a savings of six hundred dollars, not to mention all the fun there is loading them all up.:)

_________________
I have never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as a reason for withdrawing from a friend. Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 am
Posts: 10634
Location: Covington, WA USA
SuperXOne wrote:
This afternoon, I'll drive to Grafs and pick up 15 bags of Eagle Brand Magnum #8 shot, one jug of Promo (I already have one jug),

Instead of picking up the Promo, pick up a few bottles of Vectan 'AS' instead, - you'll thank me later for that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:51 am
Posts: 784
Nothing wrong with Promo....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 5098
Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
I don't know where you find 7/8 oz 12 ga Gun Club shells, but they're fairly rare beasts around here. :( So I reload 12 gauge because I can't purchase what I like to shoot. Cost, BFD.

_________________
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.

- Ben Franklin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 3592
You can't reload a premium shell with cheap components. Cheap components=Promo shell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1423
Location: KS
Unless one is doing 28 and/or .410, there probably isn't a good cost saving reason to reload. However as others have said, you can build stuff that you cannot buy, and many (most?) of us that reload simply enjoy the process. I don't need to be paid for everything that I do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 6:25 pm
Posts: 1961
Location: On the wrong side of the river, Austin TX
lt0026 wrote:
You can't reload a premium shell with cheap components. Cheap components=Promo shell.


I don't regard Lawrence magnum shot, W209 primers, Alliant e3 powder, and CB 1118-12 wads as "cheap" (sub-standard) components. I shop for deals on quality components, not try to scrimp with sub standard components.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:08 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 3592
Promo powder and Eagle shot = Promo load. It doesn't compare to STS or AA. If you want value fine, don't compare cheap components in a reload to a premium factory shell. If you could get all your shells for the same price what would you buy?
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/whe ... ls.476649/ Quality components = quality reload.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:32 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:34 am
Posts: 29
Location: Blairsville, GA
Quote:
SuperXOne wrote:
I'll just pretend I'm saving three dollars a box on brand new AA's, which Grafs also sells.


Why pretend. You are saving 3 dollars a box. I reload 12 gauge because I like the hobby and I feel that I've learned a lot about the ballistics of what I shoot. Premium components equal premium reloads. I save a dollar a box when AA's are on sale and 3 dollars a box when they aren't. I don't consider those numbers peanuts and of course, my time is free but I enjoy the process. A hobby that pays for itself. Priceless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 7687
Location: Kansas
For those of us who shoot Annie Oakley Trap with 1 1/4 oz of #6 hard Magnum shot at 1350 fps the savings are substantial. Last time I checked boxes of those were from $15 to $25 each!

_________________
"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:25 pm
Posts: 1295
Location: Attica, Mi
Show me where using Promo and Lawrence magnum shot equals sub standard shells. It0026, you show a thread that doesn't back up what you say about Promo. I've used it for years with no problems or feel I'm at a handicap for using it. Just because it's cheap to buy doesn't mean it's cheap or substandard in performance.

_________________
Venue shotgun chairman of the LCSC and the LPSXSA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 3592
bladesmith wrote:
Show me where using Promo and Lawrence magnum shot equals sub standard shells. It0026, you show a thread that doesn't back up what you say about Promo. I've used it for years with no problems or feel I'm at a handicap for using it. Just because it's cheap to buy doesn't mean it's cheap or substandard in performance.


You get what you pay for. Promo varies so much from lot to lot. Your basically getting sloppy leftovers. Blended leftovers. Promo is the floor sweepings. Look at it. You will see ten different size powder flakes in it. Wait till you shoot it. You will think it has fuel oil, coal, and black powder mixed in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:33 pm
Posts: 5755
Location: Mascoutah IL
casonet wrote:
I’ve never quite figured out why people hyperventilate over the cost for reloading after spending $10,000 for a Shotgun, $3000 for reloading equipment and components, monthly club dues, the cost of transportation to and from events together with range fees, clothing, ear protection, glasses and the list goes on and on. The pennies saved by reloading or buying new is absolutely trivial. I cannot figure out for the life of me why people are so obsessed over this. It’s nothing in the big picture. I reload because it’s a hobby that I happen to enjoy. I couldn’t care less about saving a penny a shell. It’s so small that it disappears in the noise level.


It is not possible for you to figure it out, because can't possibly understand the value other people place on their time or how much recreational value other people place on reloading. You also may not understand that many people who are able to afford all the things you mentioned do so because they developed a habit of not wasting time or money.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 am
Posts: 3581
Location: Annapolis, MD
lt0026 wrote:
bladesmith wrote:
Show me where using Promo and Lawrence magnum shot equals sub standard shells. It0026, you show a thread that doesn't back up what you say about Promo. I've used it for years with no problems or feel I'm at a handicap for using it. Just because it's cheap to buy doesn't mean it's cheap or substandard in performance.


You get what you pay for. Promo varies so much from lot to lot. Your basically getting sloppy leftovers. Blended leftovers. Promo is the floor sweepings. Look at it. You will see ten different size powder flakes in it. Wait till you shoot it. You will think it has fuel oil, coal, and black powder mixed in.
You know absolutely nothing about how Promo is made. Floor sweepings? Seriously?

_________________
Ceteris paribus, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am
Posts: 2951
Location: Newton Kansas
DEG wrote:
casonet wrote:
I’ve never quite figured out why people hyperventilate over the cost for reloading after spending $10,000 for a Shotgun, $3000 for reloading equipment and components, monthly club dues, the cost of transportation to and from events together with range fees, clothing, ear protection, glasses and the list goes on and on. The pennies saved by reloading or buying new is absolutely trivial. I cannot figure out for the life of me why people are so obsessed over this. It’s nothing in the big picture. I reload because it’s a hobby that I happen to enjoy. I couldn’t care less about saving a penny a shell. It’s so small that it disappears in the noise level.


It is not possible for you to figure it out, because can't possibly understand the value other people place on their time or how much recreational value other people place on reloading. You also may not understand that many people who are able to afford all the things you mentioned do so because they developed a habit of not wasting time or money.

People who think their "time" carries "value" when no-one is paying them, when their 'time' pays them the same sitting in front of the TV, the loading bench, or the BBQ grill making dinner have an over-inflated sense of the "value" of their 'time'.



_________________
I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 37armer, albanygun, Arroyojon, B.L.E., barkerwc4362, Bass3, Basstar, Big Midwest, bigbluedodge, Bing [Bot], Bob_K, BostonBullit, Brad F, brewsterII, Browning90va, Carbonizer, casonet, CLuttrell, Cool Breeze, cowpoke, Customstox, D McMillen, dubob, duckgoosehunt, FWP, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], gthudspeth, IthacaMatt, john391, jtf650, jtw, kennedy756, Keperkey, KRIEGHOFFK80, LG, mactownbob, Major146, marist89, Maser, McFarmer, moorewhiskey, msmith, Nebo, ohio mike, oldshotty, oldtechshooter, oneounceload, papillonkirby, Patently Obvious, popdad, Psemach11, RandyM, rich636, Road Man, ROGER_JOHNSON, Rooster booster, Roosterbob, rsrocket1, Rudolph31, Rusty16, Safetyfast, Scott H, shootingcajun, skeetsit, Skewdog, Slanski62, sleestak, smallieman, snailtrax, Specklebelly, sportshot1, sultah, Tactical, The Happy Kaboomer, trackerboy, Trapperjohn01, Tvbh40a, UNCC Grad, UPEgger, veezer, Vette Jockey, VTHokiesDuckHunter, wc beagle, woodcock1, wrfish, wttex, Yahoo [Bot], youngoilguy


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Carbon Media Group Outdoors    - DMCA Notice