It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is going on
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can someone tell me what is going on. I get a pop up that says read securepubads on a black screen. when I click on the black screen I get a Caesar Guerini add. If I scan the add the item I am trying to read pops up. What is happening. This is the only web page this happens on.

Post subject: Re: What is going on
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

To be more precise, it says "Read securepubads.g.doubleclick.net" and then after close to a minute it switches to "Connecting to app.outdoorhub.com" and then finally the page opens. It's taking a minute plus for a page to open or reload. And as stated, it's only on SGW. Maybe some BS to try and get folks to turn off their AdBlocker??
For me this started last night.

On edit:
When I initially posted a reply I got "Transferring data from stat.g.doublclick.net".

:?: :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 am 
Crown Grade

It's a messed up situation, that's for sure. There is a shotgun world.com Facebook page that you can leave comments on, and track status. For as long as this has been going on, I get the feeling that Jay may not be aware of the situation.

It does seem to be browser specific.

Try Firefox. You will get a lot of black screen and delay, but eventually the page will display.

If I were a paying advertiser, I'd want a refund. If the entire site doesn't work, then no one will see the adds (because everyone just gave up and went over to Trapshooters . com ).

It's a sad situation to have gone on for this long.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am 

I am going through the same molasses that you are.
I have a direct message to Jay the owner already.
It will get fixed eventually, I hope.
Me, I cannot do anything but wait, just like everybody else.

Curly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:06 am 

Saw this on FB from Jay
app.outdoorhub.com ads are hanging. I've asked them to look into it. Thanks for your patience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 am 
Presentation Grade

There is a workaround.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=465475

If the site owners get things straightened out, I'll re-enable java. I understand the financial part of things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:33 am 
Diamond Grade

WORKAROUND!!
Not sure how he figured this out but one of the guys PM'd me with this tip... I'ts kind of a PITA but it sure beats waiting a minute plus every time the page changes until they get things fixed.

So, WHEN THE PAGE GOES BLACK, CLICK THE PAGE BACK BUTTON AND WHEN THE PREVIOUS PAGE SHOWS UP (and there hasn't been any delay going backwards) HIT THE PAGE FWD BUTTON AND TAKES YOU TO THE PAGE YOU WANT WITH NO DELAY !!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
WORKAROUND!!
Not sure how he figured this out but one of the guys PM'd me with this tip... I'ts kind of a PITA but it sure beats waiting a minute plus every time the page changes until they get things fixed.

So, WHEN THE PAGE GOES BLACK, CLICK THE PAGE BACK BUTTON AND WHEN THE PREVIOUS PAGE SHOWS UP (and there hasn't been any delay going backwards) HIT THE PAGE FWD BUTTON AND TAKES YOU TO THE PAGE YOU WANT WITH NO DELAY !!

For Firefox, this work-around does work.

However, you have to be aware, sometimes the "Fabarms" ad page pops up, and you have to know to close that tab (and not hit the back button on that page).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I haven't had any issues like that, but site's been loading hella slow the last few days.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Jager1 wrote:
I haven't had any issues like that, but site's been loading hella slow the last few days.

The issue being discussed here is one-in-the-same.

Try the 'back/forward button jockeying" trick, - works great!

i.e. as soon as you get a black screen (Firefox) hit the back arrow, and then the forward arrow.

But it seems that the best fix is to use Chrome and disable JavaScript for just shotgunworld :

Settings->Advanced->Privacy and Security->Content settings-> JavaScript -> Add (under the "block" setting) and type in: http://www.shotgunworld.com

And Well-A, - problem solved !

But you do lose some functionality when editing a post: the color pallet is gone, and the buttons for underline, bold etc. don't work. But you can manually type in the [ u ] tags etc.

Added advantage is that the side bars with the Cesar Geruini advertisement goes away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The "work around" does not work for Chrome. Any news on this subject??

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Steve Y wrote:

Steve

It worked for me, but regardless Jay posted that the problem is fixed. I enabled java and the site loads normally again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes it's fixed. It was so bad I wouldn't stay on here after just trying to get this forum to come up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:

The work-around very much worked on Chrome, - I verified that it works on both, the Windows version of Chrome, and the MAC version of Chrome.

Make sure to use the FQDN when making the JavaScript exemption (i.e. enter "www.shotgunworld.com") in the JavaScript exemption in settings. Properly configured, the work-around would look like this in Settings->Content :

But the good news is, that it is fixed (for now).

But you want to commit this work-around to memory, because it will most certainly happen again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Won't happen again if you leave Java turned off.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
Won't happen again if you leave Java turned off.

But you said that this Chrome work-around didn't work.

So if/when it happens again, it won't happen again for everyone else, except for you, and you will be broke.

Or did you just try the Chrome work-around, but didn't actually drill down on settings and block JavaScript for just http://www.shotgunworld.com ?

If you are able to manage with Chrome with JavaScript blocked for this site, then that is even better, and by far the best protection that one can afford.

The problem is, you will lose these functions when making/editing a post :

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Republican

This is the "work around" I was referring to that I could not get to work in Chrome.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
Republican

This is the "work around" I was referring to that I could not get to work in Chrome.

As stated, that work-around was for Firefox, not Chrome.

But as it turned out, that (Firefox) work-around was pretty short-lived anyhow, and it too quit working.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Republican wrote:
Steve Y wrote:
Republican

As stated, that work-around was for Firefox, not Chrome.

But as it turned out, that (Firefox) work-around was pretty short-lived anyhow, and it too quit working.

Yes, I knew that. I can read. I thought I would test it on Chrome and report what I found out.

Steve