It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000 loader. Jerky when Advances
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

So I have a MEC 9000 that I’m loading 410 Winchester AAHS Hulls. It’s dropping very consistent 16.2 gr. of 296 and perfect 1/2oz. Of shot. When loading on the upstroke right at the very top before it releases and automatically advances, it acts like it’s binding up and jerks. Best I can tell it’s not the Collet. I’ve read the cleaning thread and took the Collet all apart, cleaned and greased it and it seems to be working fine.

Any ideas what could be making the auto advance seem to act like it’s hung up and then all the sudden clicks and advances. It caused one of my hulls to fall over and dump out shot. I know I’ve read that this is a big gripe about the loader in 410. It’s loading very good looking shells I just need to brainstorm ideas of where to start adjusting to make the auto advance smoother.

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000 loader. Jerky when Advances
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Its not the collet that far up in the stroke. When was the last time you lubed the main column with 90w gear oil??

In your first paragraph you say
Pirates55 wrote:
. before it releases and automatically advances, it acts like it’s binding up and jerks.

But go on to say in the second paragraph
Pirates55 wrote:
Any ideas what could be making the auto advance seem to act like it’s hung up and then all the sudden clicks and advances.

We really need to know where it hangs up and when.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Steve when on the up stroke I can release the handle on the up stoke and it will stop at the top. Then I have to push up on it a little to make it go all the way up and then advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jason

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/Conte ... s/9000.pdf

Scroll to page 31 "Adjustment for Shell Carrier Release" and see if that helps.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

I recently picked up a 28ga 9000 that had one of Bumstead's shell carriers already on it. I'm not sure if it would help with your carrier release issues but my 28ga is by far the smoothest operating of my presses...and there's no way a shell is going to fall, or get knocked out of these carriers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/410-ga-MEC-she ... SwfpVZLux2

I bought one of his collet removal tools and he's a good guy to deal with. I also heard a rumor that it may be a while before he does another run on any of his products. ??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you Steve. Adjusting the nut up on the rod seems to have fixed my issues. This board is great and I'm very thankful for everyone's willingness to help rookies like me learn the sport.

Steve Y wrote:
Jason

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/Conte ... s/9000.pdf

Scroll to page 31 "Adjustment for Shell Carrier Release" and see if that helps.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

It seems almost as if something is lifting the shell carrier on the up stroke. Seems to happen most often when there is a shell in the primer seating position. And ideas. I think I have the advance timing adjusted correctly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:42 pm 

Pirates55 wrote:
It seems almost as if something is lifting the shell carrier on the up stroke. Seems to happen most often when there is a shell in the primer seating position. And ideas. I think I have the advance timing adjusted correctly

There is something lifting the shell plate, it is the hull.
There is a protrusion into the hull that is wrapped around the primer. The powder drop tube is slightly smaller than that protrusion once a primer is installed and it becomes wedged into the drop tube. You get that bang when the tube is pulled off of the protrusion with the shell carrier keeping the hull from staying stuck on the tube.
Check with Republican for his "Bang-B-Gone" mod.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Use as little pressure as necessary to seat the primer, but enough to keep the bar lock working, and it might go away on its own.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All four of my 9000s have the hesitation at the top before the carrier starts rolling. I don't know the cause, but I think it's inherent in the design. What Curly describes is something I experience with 20-gauge Wnchester AA hulls but not with other brands or with other gauges. The hollow priming punch/powder drop tube sticks in the groove surrounding the primer pocket and pops out when the tube is lifted. Irritating.