It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to shotgun reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey everyone, I’m new to shotshell loaders and I have a quick question, I just bought a mec sizemaster and I was wondering what I will need to get in order to load steel shot out of it?
Thanks everyone in advance.

Post subject: Re: New to shotgun reloading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:43 pm 
Field Grade

Welcome to SGW Tdhayley!!

Required items are:
A good scale, either a balance beam or digital.
Lymans' 5th & or other current publications on shotgun reloading & reloading steel shot.

Realize that reloading steel shot is similar to reloading lead, but other than using same hulls & possibly the same primers, wads need to be rated for steel-shot & recipes for lead may not be used with steel shot.

Hodgdons' website has steel recipes, but the only powder listed for same is Universal as I recall.
Alliants' website has steel recipes as well.
Other publication with recipes can be purchased thru BPI, Precision Reloading & Bucks-run, (RSI).

Ponder what shot drops you wish to use & velocity desired. Decide which hull/s you seek to reload & what primers desired after you review various loads. Understand the difference between Euro primers & US primers.

Conduct a few searches on SGW for steel-shot. Visit "Duckhuntingchat.com".

I use a MEC 650 for 12g & a 600 for 410. I weight each powder charge on a scale, and I do the same with the steel shot. I use my MEC's to deprime, prime, seat the wad, precrimp, crimp & taper.

I'll assume that you're interest is more for hunting than for clay birds, so consider what loads you seek to use for game, reload a few & pattern to ensure the results meet your needs.

If desired, PM me & I'll address any other questions you may have assuming I know the answer

...pete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:51 am 
Crown Grade

What steel payloads are you considering reloading?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:08 am 
Diamond Grade

I think you will need steel charge bars for the weight of steel shot your using. Possible a larger steel drop tube (if that is its name). There are differences between a Steel Master and a Size Master. The Lyman manual has great information read it over & over, use data from powder companies. You my want to buy new primed hulls like Fiocchi or Federal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

tjen,, those, and bottles with slightly larger mouths.

For Tdhayley.............. these minor differences (and they are minor, but of some importance) is not just to sell you parts, but to deal with larger volumes of larger, less dense, steel shot pellets.

The steel-setup "Steelmaster" will, with no issues whatsoever, load lead and tungsten-laced shot.

The lead-setup "Sizemaster", CAN (but not necessarily "will") have some issues feeding big volumes of big shot pellets through (drop tube bridging mostly). Thus the bigger shot bottle mouth and the radiused drop tube.
Yes,, "Steel" shot bars (or the UCB's I use) are mandatory, the volumes are all wrong on lead bars.

The "steel shot conversion kit" for single-stage presses is $46 from MEC. MEC P/N 1008433
https://www.mecshootingsports.com/steel ... sion-kit-2

Not to be confused with a similar kit that ALSO extends the press to do 3 1/2" 12-gauge shells, $170.

I load steel for 10-gauge on a Versamec, at 10-gauge, there is no real "big-pellet/drop tube" issues.

Alliant STEEL powder is the crappiest, poorest volumetric dispensing stuff I EVER used, and that includes a couple IMR extruded stick rifle powders in the complaint.

I weigh, and adjust every single shell before putting the wad in, because they are full-power loads and the powder charges go all over the place, a couple of full grains all over the place.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks everyone for the input! I’m going to be doing all hunting loads, I only dove and duck hunt. Biggest shot I’ll loading will be number 4s. I was interested in loading some hevi-shot also. It’s hard to find load info for it though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:13 pm 
Field Grade

Tdhayley,
What size loads of steel shot do you have in mind? (11/16, 3/4, 7/8, 1oz,....)
As you have probably read, the rule of thumb is 2 sizes larger than the lead loads you have used in the past.
I don't hunt duck, but do hunt dove, quail, pheasant & cotton-tail.

...pete