It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000: do I have an old or "new" style collet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

oldtechshooter wrote:
I'm sure Gamaliel's buys these in bulk and gets a big discount, like Walmart, but if they are making a profit on them at $40 ea, how can MEC, the source, justify their price of $63?

Cary,
Mec sells at full MSRP so as not to undercut their distributor/dealers. You undercut your distributor/dealer and before long you won't have a distributor/dealer network.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 pm 

Republican wrote:
I want to order some rebuild parts for my aging MEC 9000 (new top turret, collet, etc.)

I look at Gammys for the collet, and they show an "old style" collet :

I got my MEC 9000 about 10-11 years ago in 2006, - how do I tell which one I have ?

Thanks!

I bought my press new prior to your purchase and it uses the Mec 8080-12 collet for the 12 gauge. Buy with confidence.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm a little confused. Can the new one that resizes high brass be used in everything ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MEC does not set the retail price for their wholesalers/distributors/retailers. MEC charges full MSRP on anything that you(the end user) buys directly from them. In some cases there is s huge difference between MSRP and what you actually pay for the product from a company other than MEC. It is MEC's way of not underselling their wholesalers/distributors/retailers.

You wouldn't want to pay full MSRP on their reloading machines.

aka Mr. Tactful.

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
oldtechshooter wrote:
I'm sure Gamaliel's buys these in bulk and gets a big discount, like Walmart, but if they are making a profit on them at $40 ea, how can MEC, the source, justify their price of $63?

Cary,
Mec sells at full MSRP so as not to undercut their distributor/dealers. You undercut your distributor/dealer and before long you won't have a distributor/dealer network.

Well that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm 
Limited Edition

When I ordered collets, I originally went on Gamaliel’s site to try and order the right parts. I, like Republican, got a little confused. I didn’t want to order the wrong parts, so I called up Mec’s technical service, and instead of taking that part# back to order the parts at Gamaliel’s chose to just buy them through Mec. Important to note that the $63.00 price included a shipping cost of about 7.50-$8.00 per unit. I don’t believe that the $40.00 cost at Gamaliel’s includes freight, and it will be something to get parts out Here to the West Coast. Just a little back story why I did what I did. In retrospect, I probably should have talked to a human at Gamaliel’s to get this figured out. Hopefully this thread will help the next Guy, thanx Republican!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

longliner wrote:
. I don’t believe that the $40.00 cost at Gamaliel’s includes freight, and it will be something to get parts out Here to the West Coast.

No it does not, but a $50.00 purchase does, so a wad guide here or a "dog bone " insert there and you are well on your way to free S&H.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Or add just a coupla bags of Claybuster CB-2118's ...

Just saying .... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Mec designs and builds presses. That is what they do. They are good at it.
Gammiels sells individual pieces and parts for all kinds of stuff to individuals. That is what they do. They are good at it.
Go to Gammies and ask them to design and build a press for you- might be pretty pricey, probably would not work worth a damn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 am 
Diamond Grade

Republican wrote:
Or add just a coupla bags of Claybuster CB-2118's ...

Just saying .... ;)

Sadly, shot and wads aren't included in the >$50 free shipping deal.

I went on there earlier today and was already over $50 when I thought about adding some 28ga CB wads and all of a sudden there was an almost $10 shipping charge. Deleted the wads and the shipping charge went to zero.

I tried. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Republican wrote:
I searched 3 times, and have NO idea how you found that. I searched on "MEC parts", and waded thru all of those little page numbers on the bottom THREE times and got to the end and never saw it.

I picked this up on another thread a long time back - If you have the MEC part number, just stick an M on the front of it and search for that on the Gamaliel web site. You don't even have to narrow the search to reloader parts or MEC. It's always worked for me. It is handy to have a downloaded PDF of the MEC manual sitting on your computer, though (to get them MEC part number).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:50 pm 

Pickman wrote:
Republican wrote:
I searched 3 times, and have NO idea how you found that. I searched on "MEC parts", and waded thru all of those little page numbers on the bottom THREE times and got to the end and never saw it.

I picked this up on another thread a long time back - If you have the MEC part number, just stick an M on the front of it and search for that on the Gamaliel web site. You don't even have to narrow the search to reloader parts or MEC. It's always worked for me. It is handy to have a downloaded PDF of the MEC manual sitting on your computer, though (to get them MEC part number).

The Mec website uses more digits than Gamaliel does Most Mec part numbers at Gamaliel have M before 2-4 digits.