It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My old PW 800B
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm 
Field Grade

Good evening all,

My old 800B is acting up. This one has some miles on it. Wondering if anyone has an idea what is going on with it. Here I go: With the carrage all the way up, insert a new case on the case feeder. On the way down, the case stops right before the index pin clicks. It seems like the case is stuck, with a little more pressure the case goes in and the index pin clicks. Weird part is that this does not happen all the time. I thought that it was only certain positions of the turret, but it isn't. These cases are all pre-sized. It almost seems like the carrage is not rotating quite enough everytime. The machine will reload, I just don't want to break anything. Any ideas?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: My old PW 800B
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Would start off to make sure that the insides of the sizers are clean, needed to be cleaned.

On my machines, I have mounted a cleaning brush that will go through the sizers each stroke, keep the brushes lightly damp with CLP, which keeps the sizers clean.

As for the bind up at hull sizer seating, would almost guess that the hull insertion post is no longer centered on the sizer.

The best way to check this with the machine empty, make a dot on the center of the seating post surface with a marker, install a hull in the size, deprime it, cut the top of hull off that is above the sizer (so you can look straight down the hull and the primer channel, then short stroke the lever until the hull in sizer back around to the hull insertion, and as you a handling back up, look through the hull to make sure that the sizer post is centered on the hull primer channel.

Also, before you handle back down again, reach behind the machine, push the index pin up past the cam plate channel, and as you handle back down again, the cylinder will not advance and leave the hull in sizer above the hull insertion post station. Hence this will allow you to fell the bottom of the hull in the sizer, to make sure that the hull has been seated in the sizer so it bottom of rim is flush with the bottom of the sizer.

As for the hull insertion port not being centered, some times it just that when bottom plate side allen screw was tightened, the hull was not held in place so it was centered on the sizer above, while other times it the hull insertion post that was bent, and needs to be straightened instead. Also, on the bottom of the hull insertion post, there is a screw with nut, and this is how the insertion post is adjusted in height in the base socket so it will seat the hull in the sizer correctly, with the bottom of the rim flush with the bottom of the sizer.

Once you checked the hull insertion post out, the take the hull in sizer over to the priming station, with again the center of the primer seating rod having a dot on the center of it, and double check to make sure that the primer assembly with seating post is centered as well on the hull primer channel. Here too, could be that when the primer assembly base cup allen bolt was tightened, primer center not held correctly to center it to the hull primer channel, or could be that the primer assembly needs to tweaked to center it instead.

As for the upper primer assembly on the base post, its the primer seating rod that will dictate mostly the index of the upper housing to the bottom of the hull in sizer. Hence if you grasp the top of the primer assembly, you can lightly bend the primer post that the upper assembly is riding on, to bring the entire upper assembly back into index with the hull primer channel.

Hence although you may be thinking that that that problem is back out the hull insertion post station, but as the hull is being finally inserted into the sizer, the primer is being inserted to the hull to the left at the same time. So if the primer is not being guided straight up into the primer channel, this cause a that lever bind and pop noise that you may be hearing instead.

Post subject: Re: My old PW 800B
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 pm 
Field Grade

Good evening.

Dano523, Thank you for your response.

I have not used this machine in some time. It loads a five gallon pail of shells in no time. This is a very old 800B (serial 2782). I completly rebuilt it a few years ago, loaded a ton of shells and havn't used it since.
Your suggestion about the hull insertion post was correct. It was not centered. When I first started the old girl up, that setscrew and the carrage setscrews were loose. The dot on the seating post was slightly off center, and the cases were not completly engageding the sizer. I adjusted the screw and nut on the bottom. The post centered right up! The happy spot was found!
I really though that the indexing gear was jacked up and not fully rotating the carrage to fully relocate. This gear looks like hammered dog crap. I just figured it was the issue.
All seems well with it now. A truly fantastic machine!

Thank you very much for your help.

Marc