It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small batch reloads
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My son in law gave me (50) 16 ga Federal hulls and asked me to reload them for him with field loads. Not wanting to recalibrate my 16 ga Sizemaster for a new powder at a different drop weight, I just removed the powder bottle and installed a bar with the correct shot drop. I found the recipe that seemed to fit the bill and then I got out my RCBS 1500 automatic powder dispenser and filled it with Green Dot. I set the weight of powder to be dispensed and hit the dispense button and in about 15 seconds I had the exact weight of Green dot that I needed. I primed the hull, put the powder in, hit the dispense button again on the RCBS and finished reloading the hull. By the time the next hull was ready for powder, so was the RCBS. I finished up in about 30 minutes and put the Sizemaster back like it was. I got the RCBS over the holidays when they were on sale and there was a factory rebate. Delivered to my door it was about 1/2 price. It is a perfect accessory for small batch reloads especially when the powder drops are near maximum. I might add that each quantity of dispensed powder was right on the money, no over or under measure.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: Small batch reloads
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I've done the same thing using a Uniflow--part of reloading is using your equipment and making things easier {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:01 am 
Crown Grade

That is actually how I powder my 10-ga STEEL loads, because, as s*****y as STEEL meters,, it does better in my Lyman 55 than it does from a charge bar, and I STILL have to weigh and fix them......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

My small batch loading is when I change from 3/4 ounce to 7/8 ounce loads with AA28HS hulls. After sizing and priming I hand weight the powder using a lee dipper and scale. Install a SG28II wad with the press. The a lee dipper which holds just less than 7/8 ounce of shot but spot on for volume needed. Back to the press for the crimping operations.

If I needed a hundred or more than a new charge bar and bushing to go with a powder/shot bottle swap would be on par. Be careful I did forget to re prime/size one hull that did get loaded. The extra primer on station two gave it away.