It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hornady 366 mystery???
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello All:

How does one access the locking nut on the final, taper, die? I looked at it today as I thought that I needed less taper on the shell but it appeared to be a nightmare. Do you know an easy way to do this?

Suggestions and/or comments.

Tia,

Leomat

Post subject: Re: Hornady 366 mystery???
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 pm 
Field Grade

Use a 7/8" (22mm) open end wrench to get on that nut.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

There is no way that one can get a wrench on that locknut. If one would remove the resizing die, the decapping tool, the primer drop tube and the primer seating tube then one may be able to turn the lock nut. That is a lot of removing and replacing of parts.

There must be an easier way. Suggestions?
Be well,

leomat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 pm 
Field Grade

Well, You really don't need station 1 assuming you use the resizing station. So remove it any way as it makes reloading easier. The two easiest to remove after that are the primer drop station and the primer seating stations. That got me some room. Then I had this a wrench which I did some serious grinding to which got me some room. Yes, I'm taking the handle and around the jaw part of the wrench. That locknut wasn't all that tight on mine and when I tightened again I didn't gorilla tighten it. But yes you'll have to move some dies. This isn't a MEC.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 am 
Utility Grade

A couple ideas as mine i could access with 7/8 open end wrench and was not tight one could take the top of press off turn over giving more room and or modify box end wrench by cutting notch out similar to brake line wrench or crows foot wrench to slide over just above final crimp and below locking nut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

I have a 366 but have been using a Mec 9000 the last few years. I just got back upstairs from my reloading room. I guess I will have to conclude that I never messed with this adjustment back when I was using the 366 because I sure could not get a wrench on it. Yes it is 7/8 but you cannot get either a box wrench or open end on to it. The black plastic piece is threaded on to a long thin hex head bolt that comes down through a hole in the bigger threaded piece (silver colored piece.) The head of this long small bolt sits well down in a hole in the top of the press. I tried a variety of 1/4 drive sockets. I could not find one big enough to fit on the head of this long thin bolt and yet still small enough to fit down in the hole in the press head. You need thin wall 1/4 inch drive sockets and I doubt they make such a thing. I did have to tun the whole press over and dump out the couple pieces of shot that were down in the hole. Next I tried a mid size screw driver with about a 1/4 inch wide blade. This will fit down in there and wedge against a flat on the head of the long thin bolt. Do this to stop the bolt from turning and reach underneath and unscrew the black plastic piece from the long bolt. Once this is off a 7/8 box wrench will slip on to the 7/8 lock nut. I suspect 7/8 socket would too but I did not try that. I think if I were to start using the 366 again I would investigate replacing the long thin bolt with a socket head screw. Regardless, if you can get the black plastic piece off, a box wrench will slip right on to the big lock nut. My press has not been used for a while and was not bolted down. I COULD turn it over and dump the couple of loose pellets out. If yours is bolted done you might have to blow them out (and maybe you will be lucky and not find any in there.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm 
Field Grade

All y'all mus' have sump'n different on y'alls' 366s.
I just reach in with an open end 7/8" wrench from the powder drop station, loosen the locknut, adjust the final taper, and re-tighten the locknut. Easy-peasy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Once you loosen the 7/8" nut and make the adjustment, don't tighten the nut with a wrench just finger tight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Slowpoke Rodriguez wrote:
All y'all mus' have sump'n different on y'alls' 366s.
I just reach in with an open end 7/8" wrench from the powder drop station, loosen the locknut, adjust the final taper, and re-tighten the locknut. Easy-peasy.

Slowpoke: You da Man!
I tried it- can do. You need to remove the powder drop tube, and to do that, remove the powder/shot measure assembly but, that is not hard. If I go back to the 366 I will remember this (to be truthful, might remember this, or, hope I remember this.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:26 pm 
Crown Grade

No room for a crowsfoot?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:02 pm 
Utility Grade

3/8 inch drive 7/8 inch crows ft ext and small ratchet