It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Coast shot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have read here that, using Lawrence shot as the standard, that Eagle and Global shot tend to run slightly smaller. Where does West Coast fall in there? Also, Eagle is made in Peru and Global in the EU (I've heard Spain). Where's West Coast made? I doubt it's California.

Post subject: Re: West Coast shot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lawrence and West Coast are the same shot, literally. Made by the same company and dropped from the same tower, only difference is the printing on the bag they're packaged in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:31 pm 
Crown Grade

West Coast is made just East of Carson City. I used to live a few miles from the shot tower; a few doors down was Western NV/West Coast bullet (they became Xtreme Bullets)
West Coast is owned by the same folks that own Lawrence.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I heard they closed the Nevada shot tower.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Been 15 years since I lived there so might be.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 pm 
Field Grade

Lawrence Brand Shot is made by Mayco Industries. They have a facility in Granite City, Illinois just across the river from St. Louis.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:14 am 
Diamond Grade

Outstanding. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:01 am 
Crown Grade

Not defending nor disparaging them but one comment re Global:
Yes, it is made in Spain by an outfit called Azor Ambiental. My dealer had a few pallets of it with the shipping labels still attached. They have a web site (English or Spanish) and it includes detailed specs. It includes considerably more info including detailed specs and tolerances than I have seen for ANY other shot. I have not used it for a couple years because my dealer no longer carries it but as I recall:
It is made in three grades with various antimony contents.
It is slightly smaller. The tolerance on diameter is pretty tight. The average size of their #8 is bigger than our 8 1/2 but smaller than our #8.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

If your local brand of shot is one of those that runs slightly small, simply use #8's instead of 9's. Actually #8's are better for target use in all gauges except the 410 bore anyway. I know that #9's are used predominately in Skeet, but that's more of a tradition than a necessity. #8s or #8-1/2's are being used more and more as time goes on. I have used and preferred # 8-1/2's for the past 15 or so years, and have no problem in using #8's for Skeet.

DLM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

West Coast & Lawrence is great shot I use their Extra Hard Mag Shot. The only thing better I have used is STS Remington shot and on par with it is Winchester Hard black shot which I have never seen for sale.