ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dumpster Diving for Shells / Ben Avery
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:15 am 
Limited Edition

I'm camping at Ben Avery Clay Target Center. I've been here over two weeks now. Shooting clays and competing in Cowboy Action "Winter Range".... I had an Early morning trash run.....Opened the 6 yard dumpster and was surprised to see it nearly half filled with empty SG hulls!

You'd think some local organization would like access to them. The local Boy Scouts were at Winter Range picking up spent brass, cleaning it and reselling it. My understanding is they make a few thousand dollars for the troop every year doing this.

Is there no market for all these empty, once fired, SG hulls?

Post subject: Re: Dumpster Diving for Shells / Ben Avery
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:18 am 
Presentation Grade

what brand of SG hulls?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:24 am 
Limited Edition

You name it, the brand was there.....Lots of gun club in 20G as they were easily recognised.

Dumpster was emptied recently so they are gone now. But I bet it fills up rather frequently as the number of shooters here is quite amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:29 am 
Crown Grade

Unlike brass, which can be more interchangeable within the same cartridge, that is not always so with shotgun hulls. Certain brands are definitely worth scrounging; many others, not so much

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

And if you talking about 12 and 20ga hulls, there isn't nearly the economic incentive to bother with reloading right now. As those gauges are pretty much commodity priced for factory new shells.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

When we were there many years ago for a skeet zone 7 shoot they did not allow you to dumpster dive - I think they had kids that sorted hulls and sold them. I think they let you pick up your empties, but that was about it.

One of Many

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

usually if a hull hits the ground it belongs to the club.
I think right now the tendency is to toss them in the trash, I can pick up or have the trap kids dump all the hulls they pick up in a couple of trash bags for me most any weekend at our club.
I end up tossing about 3/4's of them away, but I do get quite a number of free hulls.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

About the only hulls anyone will pay for is STS 12ga and STS or AA 20, 28, 410, and it's pretty rare to see any in the garbage.

Anything else rightfully goes in the dumpster, so few people will bother paying for them that it doesn't make sense to invest time sorting them out. Yes, there are plenty of lower end hulls that people will take for FREE, or will dumpster dive themselves, but they aren't going to pay for them at any price.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:53 pm 
Crown Grade

FWIW,about 8-9 years ago,there was an outfit that had big reinforced bags,so that the empties were
put in there and recycled,but it didn't last very long as there was some kind of labor dispute on the
people that were collecting the stuff,from what I understand?I still hit the cans for empties,pretty much
everything but the Euro stuff,as I don't want to buy larger primer to fit?Ben Avery gets people coming back to shoot,with the reloads,anyway,so the money is there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

creeker wrote:
FWIW,about 8-9 years ago,there was an outfit that had big reinforced bags,so that the empties were
put in there and recycled,but it didn't last very long as there was some kind of labor dispute on the
people that were collecting the stuff,from what I understand?I still hit the cans for empties,pretty much
everything but the Euro stuff,as I don't want to buy larger primer to fit?Ben Avery gets people coming back to shoot,with the reloads,anyway,so the money is there.

I think the big hiccup was part of their business plan was relying on free/extremely cheap freight on trucks returning from delivering clay pigeons, then the company would pick up from the centralized location instead of having to from every club. I believe they also ran into lead issues with their employees at the tear-down facility.

Probably a viable business 20 years ago when every hull used a brass base, but definitely not when 95% of shells use steel now, where you're getting a little more than a hundred bucks a ton, lot of case heads to make a ton of steel, and the plastic is basically non recyclable garbage, so the cost to cart the plastic is more than what you get back on the scrap.

Basically I think it was a company and business plan put together by non shooters. A lot of clubs got stiffed on the freebies they were supposed to get in exchange for the hulls, those that did get the freebies (benches, chairs) got low quality goods, and a few clubs left holding the bag (literally) on now full immovable tyvek bags full of hulls.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 am 
Crown Grade

On my way to Ben Avery,I used to stop by one of the county recyclable centers that they put up about
3-years ago,to dump my paper,cans,bottles,carboard.They have at least 10,30 cubic yard dumpsters,that get filled every week,also 2-metal dumpsters.Originally,most people would pay to dump,now it's about 85%,who use the reclaimed dumpsters.All the recyclable stuff gets put in mixed
together,no sorting,it's a money saver,for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used to Dumpster Dive, but as stated, the preferred Hulls were STS and AAs, though I find that 12 and 20 gauge Gun Club Hulls load just fine.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Although I have enough 12 and 20 hulls to probably outlast me I still find it hard to pass up once fired anything. Now 16 gauge Federal or Remington I'd swim a Croc filled river for. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For 16 gauge I only shoot and reload Remington Plastic (Black) Game load hull. The rest get thrown out. Where in Ohio are you? I get to Shiloh on a regular basis and could probably trade some hulls for bar time! {hs#

I got really luck last year when a guy in Upstate New York posted on 16ga.com that he had sold his last 16 gauge shotgun and that he had about 15 flats of brand new 16 gauge Remington Game shells, 1 ounce 8s, he wanted to get rid of. I called him, negotiated a great price and then asked if he was near a small airport. One of my flight students needed to do his Long Dual Cross County, so not only did I get free delivery, but got paid to fly up there and get them. Took a little longer to get airborne, but easier than swimming across a croc filled river. :lol:

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm 
Utility Grade

In such situations, you can ask the company that made them. Usually, they can explain if there is reuse or if they dispose of the empty ones. But, unfortunately, with this, I can't help you. I had recently finished my house and all the solid materials were dropped near the court. Since I didn't want just to throw it away, I found mini skips brisbane. They work with heavy materials such as sand, soil, bricks, and concrete. For me, it's soothing to know that all the heavy stuff will not be disposed of but will be reused or even recycled.

Last edited by Maciret on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

fiver wrote:
usually if a hull hits the ground it belongs to the club.

This is a really stupid rule that just penalizes new shooters shooting a pump or auto.

Fortunately, at the many, many clubs I have shot at, this was never a rule, or not enforced. Sure, during a tournament, it may be inconvenient to pick them up, but otherwise, let a shooter pick up his hulls.

And in fact, at a lot of clubs I shoot at now, they have signs asking shooters to pick up their hulls, less work for club management.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
creeker wrote:

I think the big hiccup was part of their business plan was relying on free/extremely cheap freight on trucks returning from delivering clay pigeons, then the company would pick up from the centralized location instead of having to from every club. I believe they also ran into lead issues with their employees at the tear-down facility.

Probably a viable business 20 years ago when every hull used a brass base, but definitely not when 95% of shells use steel now, where you're getting a little more than a hundred bucks a ton, lot of case heads to make a ton of steel, and the plastic is basically non recyclable garbage, so the cost to cart the plastic is more than what you get back on the scrap.

Basically I think it was a company and business plan put together by non shooters. A lot of clubs got stiffed on the freebies they were supposed to get in exchange for the hulls, those that did get the freebies (benches, chairs) got low quality goods, and a few clubs left holding the bag (literally) on now full immovable tyvek bags full of hulls.

I believe the business model was recycling the plastic and making things like gun racks, seating benches and the like; too costly

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dalee100 wrote:
Hi,

And if you talking about 12 and 20ga hulls, there isn't nearly the economic incentive to bother with reloading right now. As those gauges are pretty much commodity priced for factory new shells.

Right now, target ammo is pretty hard to find. Reloading may be the only option!

I was in a gun shop last week doing a transfer. There were selling a box of AA target shells for $35. (not a misprint)

rkittine wrote:
I used to Dumpster Dive, but as stated, the preferred Hulls were STS and AAs, though I find that 12 and 20 gauge Gun Club Hulls load just fine.

Bob

I have been reloading the Winchester Super Target shells although I was advised that those where not the best shells to reload. I'm on the 4th or 5th reload for some of them and they are holding up great. Those are easy to find and are left behind by the dumpster divers.

These are the shells I give to my niece who shoots a semi-auto. I don't really want my AA's hitting the ground.

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:59 pm 
Crown Grade

As was stated before,there was an outfit that came for the shells,but no more,so you can go and pick up for grabs,all that you want.I pick up some as need be but anybody can do the same,besides it gets
the reloaders back at Ben Avery,so what goes a round,comes a round.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been selling hulls for the past several years. I sold thousands and will do so this year. I found that the hulls in demand are:
12ga. Remington STS
" Nitros
" Gun Clubs
Winchester Red and Grey AAs
Federal Papers
Federal Gold Medal Grands
The sub gauge hulls are rare and the most in demand are Winchester AA in 20,28, and .410. Hardly anyone shooting the Win AAs discard their hulls.
I don't think a club could much money selling hulls as labor is creeping up to the plus $10 hour range. A 5 gallon bucket full of STS hulls (500) goes for $25.