ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dumpster Diving for Shells / Ben Avery
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would like to find a place like that. I am always looking for some 20ga. But mostly 410 hulls.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am amazed between trap and skeet shooters. After witnessing two major shoots in Az. Trap shooters leave mountains of 12 ga. hulls laying on the ground whereas skeet shooters leave little. Skeet shooters are especially fond of keeping 28ga and .410. If skeet shooters leave anything its 20ga Fiocchi and Winchester Universal, neither desirable for reloading.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:55 am 
Crown Grade

Yes wrfish,the trap shooters do that at Ben Avery range and the sub gauge stuff is rare to find,even at the skeet fields.The sporting clay course's are really clean as the signs say,please pick up your shells.This is good for me as you will find G.C.hulls,in the can ready for harvesting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dalee100 wrote:
Hi,

And if you talking about 12 and 20ga hulls, there isn't nearly the economic incentive to bother with reloading right now. As those gauges are pretty much commodity priced for factory new shells.

Oh what one year can do. Bet the mindset is a bit different these days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

It is interesting for sure. I can walk in the stores around me and still buy 28ga ammo for the same price as as last year from stores that historically sell it.

But 20ga and 16ga shells are not to be found. A few flats of 12ga are available, but if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it. I do have 8lbs of Pyrodex RS powder for my 12ga SxS ML and enough wads and cards plus caps to last quite a long time.

I have a couple flats of 16ga, maybe a bit more than half a flat of 20ga for hunting, and about a half flat of 12ga target loads. And enough supplies to reload 28ga for the next year for sure and maybe 2 years. Good thing I love shooting my little 28ga SxS.