ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Reloaders - make it easy on yourself
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not sure which inertia gun you have. I have a Benelli Supersport. It does handle 7/8 oz. loads @ 1250 FPS plus. I shot those loads in a winter Skeet league with no issue, no matter how cold it was.

I have never tried 3/4 oz. loads in it, but I doubt that they would reliably cycle my shotgun. I dropped the 7/8 oz. loads to 1200 FPS and every now and then it would fail to cycle.

I have tried 3/4 oz. loads in my 16 gauge guns, it was kinda fun but I have no confidence that as the range gets longer, the 3/4 oz. loads break every target I point correctly.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'll take your word for it. At present I'm just using my field gun (Franchi I-12) for whatever I shoot. It does fine with 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads even though the recommendation is a 1 1/8 oz load minimum.

If I get serious about shooting in more matches - I haven't shot in any yet - I will probably look at something like a used Beretta Silver Pigeon or something along those lines. If at some point in the future I acquire an o/u then I'd have more reason to keep reloading as I could load 7/8oz or 3/4oz loads which aren't as easy to find.

Last edited by CrusherT on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:12 am 
Tournament Grade

I shoot quite a lot of targets per week. Both skeet and trap. I load for both, 12 and 20 gauge. I found loads that I like and have stuck with them for years. I keep my loaders clean and weigh the drops occaisionally to make sure they are working correctly. When I started reloading, I also experimented with hunting loads, but decided that I don't hunt enough to justify the time spent on adjusting and testing. So I've purchased a pretty big inventory of hunting loads over the years mostly on sale and have focused reloading entirely on target ammo.