ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing empty hulls
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Is there an issue with storing various plastic hulls in all gauges in my attic? They’re in plastic garbage bags so will be dry. Temps in summer will hit high 90s a few days. In winter, a few days will be zero degrees.

Post subject: Re: Storing empty hulls
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I used to keep mine in my garage (when I had a house with one) for years with no issues. Is your attic insulated so the temps stay somewhat constant? My garage was not heated or A/C'd but being part of the house it stayed reasonable as long as I kept the door closed

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have had them in high and low temperature areas over the years and just would kind of let them get to room temperature when I was going to load them. I now keep them in plastic 35 gallon garbage cans in the garage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I keep the excess hulls in my yard shed, with the lawn equipment. Believe me, in Oklahoma, it gets danged hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Never had any effect on the hulls that I've stored out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I keep them in 5 gallon paint buckets, but a clean garbage can out in the shed would free up space. Good idea :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Temperature isn't going to cause trouble. Moisture, and condensation, might. But as long as it's in a space that can breathe you shouldn't have an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

df wrote:
Is there an issue with storing various plastic hulls in all gauges in my attic? They’re in plastic garbage bags so will be dry. Temps in summer will hit high 90s a few days. In winter, a few days will be zero degrees.

I have hulls from my hunting in Mexico back in the late 70’s that I keep in the rafters of my garage, (20ga) used them when I started shooting sporting clays in the 2000, worked great

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Prior to relocating several years ago, my experience mirrors Vette's. I stored a supply of AACF hulls in 55 gallon black contractor bags stuffed into large industrial shipping cartons kept in my yard shed. The hulls survived snowy winters and hot summers without a problem. I don't believe there would be an issue storing plastic hulls in your attic (winter in International Falls might be an exception).

My stash of hulls currently reside in a row of double stacked 10 gallon storage totes on wall mounted overhead wire shelving in an attached garage.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:28 am 
Utility Grade

I was just wondering about this very question. I wonder no more!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

I don't know about temperature. Extreme temperatures can't be a positive thing but I can't remember ever losing a hull because of temperature alone. I have lost quite a few hulls to rust & corrosion. Few of us live in a region of as severe corrosion/ rust producing conditions as we have here. You can consider yourself fortunate if you don't in regard to corrosive conditions. Namely, tropical & semi tropical conditions of high humidity & high temperature like we have in Florida, the Southeast & the Gulf coast. High humidity will get you! I have been keeping hulls in at least a semi controlled environment that limits humidity & temperature extremes, namely a closet in the house. I haven't lost a hull to rust in the last 4 years. The attic worked pretty good too but temperatures up there get well over 100 degrees. Also, brass is not immune to corrosion & that doesn't even consider the effects of a salt atmosphere!
One encouraging development in relatively recent years has been the new super rust/corrosion preventative sprays. Tests have shown samples of treated steel exposed for extended periods to have survived with little or no rust or corrosion. WD40 has such a product as do others, now if I can find a place to buy some!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Winchester (Olin) stated in print ads many many years ago that their new compression formed hulls were made of polyethylene which is pretty indestructible stuff. I have no idea about the current AAs or other brands; maybe the same stuff. I have AA cf 20 ga hulls that are red in color. These go back to the 1960s and they are still just fine. Wads are a different matter. I’ve got wads that are so old that the plastic petals will easily break off when bent back. That plastic, whatever it is doesn’t seem to have the longevity of the hulls

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:54 am 
Crown Grade

I store my hulls, both once fired, and fired several times in unheated buildings. The only time I ever had any issues is when I didn't let them warm up sufficiently. They cracked at the 'roll'
of the crimp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Buckets, boxes, bags, in garages, basements, barns. Over the years I have stored hulls in all of them. Some are pushing 40 years old. I have never run across an issue. Wads are thinner and more fragile. The hulls just keep on going.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:48 pm 
Limited Edition

150 qt totes work well for me and are stackable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In big totes from Menards, stored in the crawl space.

cdb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:33 am 
Field Grade

Plastic trash bags work OK. I don't think it really matters how you store them. The only thing that really matters is to keep them dry. Usually that means letting them breathe and get some air, preferably indoors.
Had a shooting buddy about 30 yrs ago with 1,000 hulls in storage. Loaded them all, and about 1/3 of them were duds. Turns out that the temperature swings cause a lot of condensation in our humid environment (WNY) and the paper base wads soaked it all up.

Post subject: Storing empty hulls
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Keep your hulls in a closed container to keep out mice and insects which can be a source of foreign matter getting into the hulls.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I keep them in the basement in large cardboard boxes left over from our last move.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:45 am 
Limited Edition

I used to keep them in my attic in cardboard boxes. It gets to 100+ up there often in the summer. I decided it was not worth risking all the time I spent scrounging them so I moved the boxes down into my attached garage which has much less wide temperature swings. Just to be safe.