ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloads for friends and strangers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In this time of scarce factory shells would you offer your reloads to friends? Would you offer to sell them to strangers ? Would you shoot someones reloads in your guns?
I don't think I would do any of the above although I have given some of mine to friends,although not a whole box, just enough for him to finish a round so he wouldn't have to go back to his car.

Post subject: Re: Reloads for friends and strangers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:51 am 
Crown Grade

Nope. Not a sausage chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

Three questions, my three answers:

First question: NO

Second question: NO

Third question: NO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^I agree^^^^^

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 pm 
Field Grade

NO! Liability issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have loaned a friend a reloader, and taught them how to reload their own shells. I have also sold some components to them, to get them started. Does that make me a good friend, an enabler, or a dealer? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:05 pm 
Field Grade

Hello Folks,

Going back over 40 years ago, in addition to loading shotshells, I had bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk and was starting metallic reloading. I think it was the book "The ABC's of Reloading" by Dean Grennell that had a very strongly worded statement to the effect that once you give, sell, trade, or whatever to someone YOUR reloads, they own your soul along with the rest of your possessions.

Can't explain it now, but this was one time that this 18 yr old paid heed to the author.

Fred

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I don't think I would do any of the above although I have given some of mine to friends,although not a whole box, just enough for him to finish a round so he wouldn't have to go back to his car.

I have given one or two so a friend could finish a station shooting sporting, but that's it. No way am I giving or selling reloads to anyone. Selling factory ammo? Sure, but not reloads.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've given shells away. I've recently traded shotshells for powder & primers.

Just left a small local gunshop and they had 12 gauge Rio target loads @ $10.00/box and Fiocchi target loads at $14.00/box. At that rate, I may consider a little side job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I gave 12 gauge Black Powder Trap loads to my friend and shooting buddy of 40+ years.
No loading of any cartridges for anyone, since he passed away.
No, it wasn't the cartridges.
He had a heart attack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot a Perazzi a couple weekends ago. The guy let me me shoot my reloads through it. I'm not sure I would have done the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can't imagine how bad it would be if one of my reloads caused a shooting accident destroying someones gun or hurting someone. I think everyone agrees.
That being said I have taken beginner friends out shooting using my guns and reloads.I may have to rethink that too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don’t even let others shoot my reloads in MY gun. You want to shoot a round with my gun? Sure, no problem, let me grab a box of factory ammo . . .

Nobody is shooting my reloads but me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm really beginning to trust my reloads and place a high value on them.

I'd give or sell factory ammo to almost anybody. Almost...

I'd share my reloads with a friend if he needed them and asked. But all my shooting friends have plenty of their own ammo and would probably only need a shell or two to keep shooting while at the sporting station.

I would not sell my reloads to anyone. They are not for sale.

I would shoot the reloads from somebody I know and trust on some level. But you can't walk up to me as a stranger, hand me a reload and expect me to put it into my gun.

I don't know how the average person could tell my reloads from the factory ammo you'd buy.

MEC 9000
Google search to figure out how to use it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:14 am 
Limited Edition

I would let them buy components and do their own reloading on my equipment, if they were a good friend and I was watching over them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 am 
Diamond Grade

md2020 wrote:
I'm really beginning to trust my reloads and place a high value on them.

I'd give or sell factory ammo to almost anybody. Almost...

I'd share my reloads with a friend if he needed them and asked. But all my shooting friends have plenty of their own ammo and would probably only need a shell or two to keep shooting while at the sporting station.

I would not sell my reloads to anyone. They are not for sale.

I would shoot the reloads from somebody I know and trust on some level. But you can't walk up to me as a stranger, hand me a reload and expect me to put it into my gun.

I don't know how the average person could tell my reloads from the factory ammo you'd buy.

I'm right there with you on this!
Many years ago when I was doing a lot of metallic reloading, I thought about starting a reloading business...Then I learned about the liability issues and insurance costs. Nope, never going to do it, not worth it in any way, shape or form.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:50 am 
Field Grade

Yes. I have given away reloads but with full disclosure as to what they are. Most friends on that list have come and helped reload and brought their own components. I did just give a friend a box of primers yesterday.

No. I don't sell reloads.

Maybe. If I trust a persons reloading I would and have shoot them in my own gun. My friend who taught me to reload for example.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

NO :!: :!:

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:50 am 
Limited Edition

I have given away my reloads in the past. I'm less inclined to do that now.....BUT....Covid boredom induced me to use some left-overs to load four boxes of 410s and four boxes of 28s just in case...Dunno when I will use them. I guess if a friend really needed some 410s or 28s I might give them to him. Hey, if they sit there long enough I may end up giving them away just to be rid of the clutter.

I would not sell my reloads, but I would leap for joy if I could sell my left-over hulls, powder, wads, shot, and primers.

I have used plenty of my friends' reloads in my guns. I am less and less inclinded to do that again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 am 
Field Grade

The old man that taught me and my twin to reload has given us many reloads for our shotgun and rifles to shoot since we were kids. We only shoot reloads in the duck boat, and on occasion we have loaned each other shells to finish a hunt. Those are the only 2 folks I am comfortable enough to shoot their reloads.