ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reloads for friends and strangers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

Back in the day, (1980) reloads were all we had -- my friend had the powder and press, we split on a sack of shot, I bought some wads and hulls (I had a job, we were both in school back then). We would get a case of clays whenever we could, and drive around till we found a big enough woods or field, with hand throwers.

We were both shooting the same loads --AA 1-oz loads with 18 gr Red Dot. The concept of "liability" never crossed out minds.

I would do the same today in similar circumstances. But not for a stranger, nor for sale. Family and friends, yeah no prob if you're running low or something.

Post subject: Re: Reloads for friends and strangers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:24 pm 
Limited Edition

I spend enough time keeping enough reloaded for my own use, so selling really isn't an option for me. My concern would be more along the lines of improper use of the reloads. How many times have you seen someone fire a weak sounding shot and not check the barrel? As the one loading my shells and the one paying for my expensive firearms, I am very safety conscious. Someone else may just load and fire without thought. On the other hand, how many times have you seen factory loads fail such as separated base wads, separated brass, failure to fire, etc? I have seen more than a few bulged barrels and a few blown barrels and not once have I ever heard of successful litigation against the ammo manufacturer. It is prudent to remain on the safe side and not expose yourself to unnecessary liability, but there comes a point that it can become more like chicken little.