ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reloads for friends and strangers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:13 am 
Limited Edition

So a couple Sundays ago I broke my rule about shooting others reloads, kid handed me two rounds and said give these a try. Frist went bag and the second went pop and I had to push the wad out of the barrel. Lesson learned right?

Nope I'm a slow learning. Next Wednesday kid handed me a couple more rounds, after shooting the first round my XT wouldn't open until the case head cooled off enough to contract the brass head. I gave him back the other round and started to question him about his load.

Seems he was loading a max Longshot load designed for Remington STS, Nitro or Gun Club hulls in a Remington Peters hull and he to had some sticking hulls in the camber. Guess he is a slow learner as he and his friend kept shooting the reloads until he cracked his BT stock and his friend cracked his forend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:34 am 
Limited Edition

Although the liability risk is real, how is it any different than some of the other liability risks we incur? For example, would you loan your neighbor your lawnmower? The one that you maintain yourself? You did torque the blade properly last time you removed it to sharpen, right? Do you replace your own brake pads? Would you drive your girlfriend to the restaurant in that same car? You did turn down the rotors to spec, right? How about letting a buddy hunt from your tree stand? Or borrow your chainsaw?

I would not sell my reloads. Nor would I give them away. Let a friend shoot a few when we’re together? Probably.

I just think we each should weigh the risk we take on and decide where we stand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

I would give reloaded ammo to friends and family

I would not sell reloaded ammo to anyone because I do not have the required Class 6 or 7 FFL that you are required to have to manufacture ammunition for sale.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:12 am 
Utility Grade

DEG wrote:
I would give reloaded ammo to friends and family

I would not sell reloaded ammo to anyone because I do not have the required Class 6 or 7 FFL that you are required to have to manufacture ammunition for sale.

Same

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:44 am 
Limited Edition

No.
For years a group of us have met in SD for a week of pheasant hunting. I live close enough to drive. The rest fly. I have always brought shells for the group. It saves them from the ammo/airline hassle. I shoot reloads. I give my brother my reloads because he shoots one of my guns. The rest get factory ammo. I don’t want the others using my reloads. Not so much liability as I would feel very bad if something went wrong. Not a fear just a peace of mind issue. Besides if they missed, they’d start needling me about not putting any shot in my reloaded ammo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:23 am 
Field Grade

Question #1. Very Improbable. I can only think of one person I would do this with.
Question #2. Not a snowball's chance in Hades would I ever sell a reload to anyone.
Question #3. See Question #1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Black Hills Ammo started off by selling reloaded ammo and then turned to new manufacturing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Commercial reloaders carry liability and have the Federal licenses/permits necessary; the average guy in his garage does not

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Muddydogs wrote:
So a couple Sundays ago I broke my rule about shooting others reloads, kid handed me two rounds and said give these a try. Frist went bag and the second went pop and I had to push the wad out of the barrel. Lesson learned right?

Nope I'm a slow learning. Next Wednesday kid handed me a couple more rounds, after shooting the first round my XT wouldn't open until the case head cooled off enough to contract the brass head. I gave him back the other round and started to question him about his load.

Seems he was loading a max Longshot load designed for Remington STS, Nitro or Gun Club hulls in a Remington Peters hull and he to had some sticking hulls in the camber. Guess he is a slow learner as he and his friend kept shooting the reloads until he cracked his BT stock and his friend cracked his forend.

How is a Remington Peters different from a Remington STS load?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Hal4son wrote:
How is a Remington Peters different from a Remington STS load?

Unless you are talking about really old Remington Peters hulls with a separate base wad, I don't thing there are any differences. I know the old Remington RXP hulls load the same as STS.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:48 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Uuuh... guys, if you are so worried about your reloads blowing up someone's gun and injuring them, do you shoot them yourself??!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tal/IL wrote:
Uuuh... guys, if you are so worried about your reloads blowing up someone's gun and injuring them, do you shoot them yourself??!!

I'll take that chance myself but won't ask someone else to, regardless of the very slim odds something bad could happen. When you think about how many handholds are fired at all the skeet, trap, rifle and pistol ranges in the country and how many serious injuries or fatalities you've heard of, the odds are probably really slim. And that's good!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:23 am 
Presentation Grade

Tal/IL wrote:

I can't sue myself.

tp (logical)

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 am 
Field Grade

Tal/IL wrote:

It's really a matter of controlling the end use.
I actually worry about the exact opposite effect. Not blowing up the gun, but not discharging completely and leaving an obstruction in the barrel.
The world changed with respect to liability. It just is what it is.
30-40 years ago I used to reload hundreds and hundreds of shells per week, and would hit the range with my wife and friends. Everyone shooting my guns, with my reloads. All of us together having fun. I'm not sure that I would do that any longer, which is unfortunate because shooting sports have always had a very significant social interaction aspect to them.
I used to do brake jobs for a living, and I do my own brake jobs still. I would not do your brakes though. Not for free, and especially not for money. Kind of the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't worry about friends but selling them to strangers is a different matter. If there was a lawsuit a lawyer will name everyone as a responsible party. You, the maker of the reloader,the powder company,wad maker etc.Even if you win the court costs will make a big dent in your reso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:10 am 
Tournament Grade

T-Pee wrote:
Tal/IL wrote:

I can't sue myself.

tp (logical)

You can... and I want you to video tape the court session when you do :lol:

MEC 9000
Google search to figure out how to use it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Man , I'm out on the tip of-the reloading branch. Hope no one holds it against me.

I met a retiring reloader and bought 12 cases of 12s, 8 cases of 20s. Long time reloader since the 70s, expensive guns. Told him I was a new reloader, his wasn't going to kill me? He said he would give me his Holland n Holland if I had an issue. He loaded 1oz. soft. Shot the same as GC 1145s. What the hell....now on case #9. Stinky powder.
Same as the 20 ga., no issues.
$30 a case. What the hell.

I trade a-box of 410s AAs reloads for 100 hulls with a friend. He's happy, I'm happy. What the hell.

Life has risk...I-95 is the riskiest.

When any of you decided to pull out of reloading, call me first. I'll give you a waiver.
What the hell. I'll trust your loads more than I will with the big boys.

H

Oh the old guy also sold me 30 cases of commercial 12s and 11 cases of 20s at $40 a case.
'What the hell'.

Last edited by HenryPeter on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes.

When I have loaned a daughter a gun of mine to practice shooting, ammo went with it (I do not buy factory ammo other than rimfire).
The only stipulation was Bring My Brass Back (and add to it if you can).
Said daughter and I both went through well past 2,000 rounds last spring in her training and my "knocking some rust off".

I've let people shoot my ammo, no, I don't sell my ammo, I am not a mfr.,a nd I do not have ready access to such unlimited volumes of components that I would consider selling ammo.

I made, on request, a box of 9x19mm JHP for a co-worker, he just wanted a box, SD ammo, I borrowed his gun, worked up the load, gave them to him, since it was only 50 it was nowhere near worth him buying me components, boxed by the 100 or pound.

I don't load up "iffy" or "questionable" ammo, 4 decades of not blowing stuff up, SHOULD teach a person SOMETHING (but, often, it doesn't).
My own loading ability (or lack thereof) doesn't scare me pooless.
I don't exactly have half the county lining up wanting to shoot my ammo either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:13 am 
Presentation Grade

md2020 wrote:
T-Pee wrote:
Tal/IL wrote:

I can't sue myself.

tp (logical)

You can... and I want you to video tape the court session when you do :lol:

It would likely look like a Robin Williams skit.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

As a general rule I'm not interested in shooting anyone else's reloads but I do have a few close friends who's reloads I would shoot without hesitation.

I load several recipes that you just can not buy commercially (or find easily) like 7/8 & 3/4oz 12 GA, or 5/8 & 3/4oz 20 GA, I've given plenty of those boxes away just so a buddy can try them, it's usually an incentive for them to start rolling their own.

All that said, I have no interest in selling any of my reloads.