ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winchester Xpert hulls ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Geo, I hate to disagree with your quote "that compression formed hulls are for the most part target hulls". I'm sure there are a lot of SGW members that have loaded 1-3/8 oz. & 1-1/2 oz. loads in the Win CF hulls, which I think are a lot stronger than any Reifenhauser hull.

Post subject: Re: Winchester Xpert hulls ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

al1969brown
You are right & I don't think we disagree. Compression formed hulls have been & I think still are made in 3" mag. configurations. They are also loaded with heavy loads in shorter hulls. However, the tapered powder chamber, as I understand it, was originally designed to burn the faster powders in target loads more efficiently. That may be the best application for that type of hull but it surely isn't the only application. They are also stronger & more durable. The advantages of the reifenhauser hull & other tube type hulls with a separate BW is they have more volume & tend to run lower pressures.

Post subject: Winchester Xpert hulls ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve seen many Super X and Western Xpert compression formed baby magnums in 12, 20 and 16 ga. All came with high brass and plastic welded centers on the crimp. On the other hand I have seen and actually have a few CF AA target hulls with 3/16” high brass heads. They really look strange

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith