ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mec help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought 2 mec loaders. 1 is a 600jr pre82 setup for 16ga and the other is I believe to be a super 600. The super600 I can't get it to size the case head. It has the ring but the case head won't go into it. They are I believe steel case heads. Is this the reason they won't go into the size ring?

I am also looking for a die set in 20ga and 410 for the Jr. I don't own a 16ga so I would like to switch it to something I shoot. Anyone have dies to sell? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Mec help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Are you sure its a Super 600? They did not come with a factory resize die. They are a progressive press.
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/600.pdf
Therefore it could be the wrong resize die. You never know with used. If it is the correct size, the steel head should fit, might take more effort on your part.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I believe it is but I'm not 100% sure. It has the exact same resize setup as the 600jr. Do you know what the measurement should be on the id of the size ring? Should I lube the steel? Its very close but I couldn't get it to go. I will mention that this was just setting there not bolted down yet for either press. I just wasn't sure if the steel would take that much more force to size. The loader doesn't look like its been used in a while or very much

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Cardshooter88 wrote:
The loader doesn't look like its been used in a while or very much

Take the die off and polish (steel wool 0000) could be rusty/dirty on the ID.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I can do that. I wanted to ask someone who knew before I did something stupid. It is a progressive press and the sizing dies is the same as the one on the 600jr. It also chase the same flat 3 hole base as the Jr. Any idea what model it is?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can you post up some pics?
I thought that on the 650 (progressive) you could run the same sort of resizer AS the 600, BUT... you could only resize... THEN... take the resizing die off... and load your shells as a progressive unit.

I think it may be documented in the 650 manual on the MEC site.

Maggs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't know how to post pics here but I can email them. This one is fully functional with the sizing ring in place. Size and deprime and spin it to the next station

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Be kind to yourself and if you want a MEC 600 jr. in a different gauge than the 16 you have list it online locally with what you want. 16ga owners who have a jr in your wish list (20/410)will trade you even up or maybe even do all the driving to work an exchange. The thing about just changing dies is you now have extra dies sitting around and new die set must be adjusted properly it's not rocket science but can seem that way especially the 410 . Yes, all used presses sometimes need fine tuned why ,but why spend more money when you can swap.
I have 2- early MEC 600 supers (they were adorned with a lot of chrome ) in 12 gauge and 410 and sizing on them is a bear and a separate operation from reloading. I use a MEC case conditioner which de primes and sizes then just change out the gauge dies per gauge I am working with. Enjoy your finds. John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:22 pm 
Utility Grade

You need a mec part to fill the space in indexing ring and give support to shell head keep shell above index ring while sizing on 650 or you won't completely resize your hull. Yes, the resizing is a separate operation on the 650 press look up on mec web sight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Yep that sounds like it. I knew that the sizing die had to go on the low brass head more then 1/16" or so. I'm guessing a guy could make said piece pretty easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Cardshooter88 wrote:
Any idea what model it is?

Go here https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/600.pdf and scroll to page #2 and look at the diagram/picture of the charge bar lock system. Does yours look like this, its a Super 600. If it has the lock mechanism on the far RH side of the bar its a 650. like this
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/650.pdf page #6 photo 11.

Steve