ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull expected life 20 ga vs 12 ga.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:36 am 
Field Grade

Hi everyone,
I reload rem GC in 20 and 12 gauge,(7/8 oz claybuster win clones with clays for the 12 and Universal for the 20)
my 12 gauge GC hulls last twice than the 20 gauge GC hulls, 10, 12 times for the 12 vs 5,6 times for the 20...….
Have you the same experience for those who use those hulls ?.
Foulcan.

Post subject: Re: Hull expected life 20 ga vs 12 ga.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lots of difference in hull life even within 12 gauge from using different powders.
Use a modern powder for better hull life, is what I am finding. Like Red rather than Red Dot.

There are SO many different variables between 12 gauge loads and 20 gauge loads, you may never see exactly what causes shorter hull life.

But smaller diameter hulls do seem to fail much quicker at the crimps.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Loading 20 ga AACF hulls with Unique, I can’t seem to wear them out. Finally, I toss them when they get so black that it’s embarrassing

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

thanks guys for reply,
i have some win AACF (old ones) they seem to last better, like you said casonet, do you know if the AAHS are the same as the AA in longevity ? (20 ga)
Foulcan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hear from folks who load them (HS) that they have good longevity. I don’t have a lot of experience with them, so I can’t compare the two types. If you ever want more CF type I have plenty for sale.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I use Fed Gold Medal 12 ga and Win AA 12ga ( get factory AAs for Christmas ) Load RGC and AAs in 20 ga. The Fed GM seem to last for 10-12 loads. The 20 ga. hulls about 5-6 times before they burn out or crack. Use to load 12 ga RGC but found they got brittle and burned out or cracked too soon.

I load the AA 12 2-3 times then toss. I use the Fgm hulls when I shoot clays, 1 oz. Clay Dot, and AAs for trap,1 1/8 Red Dot. I have a buddy that works at BA that saves me AA 20ga hulls so have a good supply. I get all the FGM hulls from Balistics P. when they have them. Never see them in the barrels at the trap range or clay range.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:36 am 
Tournament Grade

I have been loading 20 ga Remington GC lately. And I get the same results regarding case life. I get 5-8 reloads before the case mouth starts to split and becomes weak.

Other than a little extra effort resizing them because of the steel base, they reload great.