ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading for 1951 Ithaca M37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all,
I just purchased a used Ponsness Warren 375 shotgun reloader from a family friend. I want to reload bismuth so I can hunt waterfowl with my great grandfathers Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight. It has a Poly Choke on it and I believe the gun is from 1951 based on the serial number. It is chambered only for 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch. I want to make sure I don't damage the gun or the choke. Is there certain powder I shouldn't use? Can I put too much weight of shot for the barrel to handle? Is bismuth actually safe for these older guns like I have read? I am BRAND NEW to reloading so any and all information you may have to share is appreciated. I don't know how to weigh out the powder, I don't know how to weigh out the shot. The reloader came with over 1,000 hulls and about 500 Windjammer wads and about 250 Claybuster wads. Do wads matter when it comes to shooting ducks? All I need are primers, powder, and shot. I will continue to educate myself through the internet. I figured this would be a great resource to use. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Reloading for 1951 Ithaca M37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:44 pm 

Do yourself a favor and get Lyman's #5 Handbook for shotshell reloading. It has Bismuth recipes in it
Here it is on Amazon

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:35 am 
Crown Grade

Any load that is safe for any current shotgun will be child’s play for that old 37. They are tougher than a mouth full of shingle nails!

BP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:11 am 
Crown Grade

The SAAMI standards were in effect back then, and same as today. Reload ANY recipe that meets the specs, the gun will be safe, as long as the gun hasn't been abused or neglected.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:16 am 
Field Grade

I am by no means an expert, but I'll try and answer some of the basic questions

BlueDuck98 wrote:
Hello all,
I just purchased a used Ponsness Warren 375 shotgun reloader from a family friend. I want to reload bismuth so I can hunt waterfowl with my great grandfathers Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight. It has a Poly Choke on it and I believe the gun is from 1951 based on the serial number. It is chambered only for 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch. I want to make sure I don't damage the gun or the choke.
Is there certain powder I shouldn't use?
-Powder selection is based on what type of performance you are looking for out of a given load.
Can I put too much weight of shot for the barrel to handle?
Put the amount of shot in that the recipe calls for and you should be fine.

Is bismuth actually safe for these older guns like I have read?
Yes, Bismuth has similar characteristics to lead, but is lighter.
I am BRAND NEW to reloading so any and all information you may have to share is appreciated.
I don't know how to weigh out the powder,
Your reloader will "meter out" powder according to charts, but you should still validate that it is accurate with an inexpensive grain scale .
I don't know how to weigh out the shot.
Once again, the reloader will dispense a unit volume of shot, but the charts are for lead, so for a given volume, bismuth will be lighter than lead.
The reloader came with over 1,000 hulls and about 500 Windjammer wads and about 250 Claybuster wads. Do wads matter when it comes to shooting ducks?
Yes, the correct wad matters for any load. It will matched to the hull, weight of the shot, and powder charge, required.

All I need are primers, powder, and shot. I will continue to educate myself through the internet. I figured this would be a great resource to use. Thanks!

I would second that you should invest in the Lyman's manual. It's necessary to understand the inter-relationship of the components involved in reloading.

I think I would suggest that you start out with some "lead shot" target loads to get a feel for what you're doing before you jump in with Bismuth.
Bismuth is expensive. Lead isn't "cheap", but better to learn on shells that are much, much less expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like you have the right idea. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since it has a Poly-Choke, you can shoot steel through it as long as the choke is set for Modified or lighter.