ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WinAA- WinAAhS
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:17 pm 
Field Grade

Hello,
New to reloading what’s the difference between WinAA and WinAAHS hulls?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: WinAA- WinAAhS
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In theory (i.e., according to the reloading data), there is no difference. In practice, with bulky powder, such as Red Dot, Promo, Clays and Clay Dot, the HS hulls present stack heights that are too tall and create a whole host of crimp and other problems.  There are remedies for the problems, mostly entailing using a special wad made by Downrnage (the DRA wads) or using a denser powder. Let me know if you want more because this just scratched the surface.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

bodackis wrote:
Hello,
Thanks

Google is your friend. There's a lot of information out there if you're willing to do a little research.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

wait... red dot doesn't fit the HS hulls without special wads?
sonofabitch I got lots of shells to pull down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
Google is your friend. There's a lot of information out there if you're willing to do a little research.

Google is not my friend at all! These are the folks that we should be worried about, and avoiding,..

Duckduckgo is a much better choice, IMO.

The web has a wonderful amount of reloading data. I used to depend on a big stack of reloading books in the shop; now I look for the latest data from the component manufacturers on line. It sure is convenient!

Last edited by desmobob on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

bodackis wrote:
Hello,
Thanks

I am also somewhat new at reloading (2 months). I have WinAA hulls.

There is absolutely no difference as far as reloading goes. Get either one, reload them exactly the same using the same recipes and wads and the same setup on your reloader.

And just to help you with your acronyms, you really mean to say "Win AA-CF" vs "Win AA-HS"

or old style vs new style

I also load Remington Gun Clubs exactly the same as I reload the WinAA.

I only speak for 12ga with claybuster wads, which is the only actual reloads I've done.

MEC 9000
Google search to figure out how to use it

Last edited by md2020 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Basic difference is that the old style are a one piece compression formed hull that tapers toward the base from the inside. The HS hull is two piece with the outside case being a straight cylinder. It contains a separate base wad that simulates the internal taper of the old style hull. The two types also seem to be made of different plastic. Remington Hulls (STS, Nitro, and Gun Club) are one piece hulls that are similar to the old style Winchester.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

+1 for Casonet.

The CF (compression formed) hulls are tapered about .008" at the top to load easier in the gun. The hull and base are formed into one piece.

The HS hulls are a straight tube with parallel sides that is cut off at the correct length, and a base is then attached.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it it helped a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OK, they why does Hornady give special crimp die adjustment instructions for the AAHS hulls. if they were the same, this wouldn't be needed, would it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I dunno, my 366 was set up for AA's when I bought it back in 1990ish and it's been upped and downed about 45-50 thousand times since then.
anyhow I'd imagine you need to adjust for the NEW AA HULLS because they are thicker plastic at the crimp area.
I wish they weren't but they are what they are.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand, the big problem is that certain wads catch on the inner sleeve of the HS hull as it is seated. The old hulls didn't have the sleeve as they were made tapered, 1 solid piece.

I load both and so far don't have any problem. I use clay dot-red dot w CB 1100 wad & 1 oz. #8 shot. The only problems I had was using CB 4100 and had to adjust the wad seating higher in the hull. Then the crimp was too high and was crushing the hulls only on the HS hulls. Those worked fine in my FGM hulls.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Nebs wrote:
OK, they why does Hornady give special crimp die adjustment instructions for the AAHS hulls. if they were the same, this wouldn't be needed, would it.

Easy, and it due to Win using spherical powder for the 12 gauge loads, came up with the perfect pressure powder amount they had with the standard win wads, and just shorten the hull to get a perfect crimp. So the 12 gauge HS hull, are shorter than the CF and STS hull. Hence if you have the 12 gauge machine set up for CF and STS hull, but swap to HS hulls, your going to get a center hole in the crimp, until you adjust the pre-crimp, the sizer, and the taper crimper down to resolve the HS shorter hull problem.

CF hulls in the back ground, HS hull in foreground, and the machine is still set up to load the longer hulls (CF and STS hulls).
Note, slinging the cat to see if it will stick to the wall king of thing in regards to why the HS hull are shorter than the CF and STS hull lenghts that were the standard for decades. It may be that the new machinery was set up to cut the hull shorter to start with, but really believe that is was the HS hulls that have slightly more volume than the CF hull of the same length, and why the hulls where shortened in the first place (to get ideal crimps with the standard win wads, without the shot rattling too much). This way same standard wads cold be used for both the older CF and new HS hulls.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I believe most of the change in the crimp was actually on the crimp starter station. You have to move the crimp starter down so it closes the shell down to about the width of a pencil eraser if I remember the instructions. It helps not leave that pellet sized gap on the final crimp.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:44 am 
Diamond Grade

I feel that there is a difference in how the loads stack. I like to use one size larger payload wad in the aa-hs vs a compression formed aa. So for a 1 oz load I use 1 1/8 wad, 7/8 I use a 1 oz wad. Better crimps that way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:44 am 
Presentation Grade

First off a new reloader will more than likely not come across many CF hulls unless he gets handed down a stash from someone getting out of it. You occasionally come across some well used ones in the buckets. AACF hulls have the same volume as AAHS hulls but for some mystery they don't load the same. Fill one hull with water and it fits into the other exactly the same. A few years ago their was a thread on another website about this and one poster claimed they load the same using the same wads and RED Dot powder. As the thread went along and shells were cut open it showed the spec wad legs to look like they were 10 lbs of crap stuffed into a 5 lb bag. Whether this affects performance I can't say but it didn't appear to be the best combination of components. As has been stated on here a 100 times When using bulky Alliant type powders in the 32 to 33 bushing size DRA wads in HS hulls will make things fit much nicer and less likely to dome up crimps. The other method that works well is the 1 1/8 wad for 1 oz reloads. In the long run this is cheaper than using DRAs because CB wads can be easier to find and run less $.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Another problem is that the HS basewad has a shoulder on it and when you try to set a wad too low, the base of the wad hits the shoulder of the basewad and something has got to give at that point. At my club the only HS hulls that picked up are the .410 and 28. Most of the 20s and 12s get trashed in favor of Remingtons and to some extent, Federals. I have recently sold many thousands of CF hulls and am pretty much sold out with the exception of 20 ga. I think that based on the calls that I had, I could have sold 10X the number that I had

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dra 1 oz on left Factory Heavy 1 1/8 on right. 95% of my reloading has been with HS hulls. I'm well over reloading 50,000 HS hulls and never had a wad hang up on the basewad. I once had a garbage bag full of "Silver bullets" and really didn't see any advantage to them because my HS loads worked/crimped fine. I'm not saying they weren't a better design but I can collect new HS hulls anytime and have 4 wad boxes filled with them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Keep in mind that their is several versions of HS hulls. I avoid any with GA stamped on the brass and only use ones marked HS. After splitting the brass and inspecting the base wad the GA stamped hulls generally had what I'll describe as a 1 locking ring, the HS stamped brass has 3 of these that secure it to the hull. I assume the GAs are earlier versions of the new design. Others on this site can describe the hull markings on the AA emblem but I don't. To make it more confusing I've recently come across new 1oz Lite recoil hulls that have NR stamped on them. After inspection they appear the same as the late model HS stamped brass and I've had an Email confirmation from Winchester that they are reloadable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
Another problem is that the HS basewad has a shoulder on it and when you try to set a wad too low, the base of the wad hits the shoulder of the basewad and something has got to give at that point. At my club the only HS hulls that picked up are the .410 and 28. Most of the 20s and 12s get trashed in favor of Remingtons and to some extent, Federals. I have recently sold many thousands of CF hulls and am pretty much sold out with the exception of 20 ga. I think that based on the calls that I had, I could have sold 10X the number that I had
i'm left to conclude you have no idea what you are talking about.