ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WinAA- WinAAhS
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Really!!?? Makes perfect sense to me. And the part about what’s picked up and what’s left behind is in fact factually correct.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Casonet, if you take a Win. HS hull apart you will see that there is a very smooth taper on the base wad and there is not a lip, any Win. or Rem. type wad slides to the top of the powder very nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have, and some of the early ones weren’t that way

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can honestly say I have never had a wad stick on the base wad of any of the HS hulls, nor on any of the earlier Super Handicap hulls without the HS on the brass, they had a black base wad, I've even loaded some of the cheap Target Loads with the steel head and all loaded quite nicely, maybe I am just lucky or this is a non-issue !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Probably more of a non issue but it has happened to me. Resulting in a cocked wad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
Probably more of a non issue but it has happened to me. Resulting in a cocked wad
How do you know this? Did you cut the shell open and view the cocked wad? Or did you assume the wad was cocked from something else about the shell?

Post subject: WinAA- WinAAhS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, Nebs! I did cut it open and thats what I found. I noticed the bulge on the side which prompted the investigation. I’m not making this up. I even had a base wad come lose on an early one before Olin made changes to eliminate that problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:54 am 
Tournament Grade

Casonet, I do believe you, where was the bulge in your hull? I have seen a slight line around where the top of the base wad is and when I examined it in a dark room with a flashlight the wad always seemed to be compressed concentrically.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This happened years ago. I do recall that the hulls werent stamped HS on the brass head and unlike current production, there was a black line box around the AA on the side of the hull. When I got a basewad separation, I discarded them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Left well used HS basewad Right once fired GA stamped basewad. I picked several of these brand new GAs out of the bucket yesterday. They had factory primers in them so you have to be aware that you'll still come across them from someones stash.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

A lot of answers here are assuming 12 gauge.

On the 28 gauge win AA CF vs win AA HS, you have to use a different wad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

12 gauge AAHS and AACF do NOT load the same, no matter what any handbook says.

With 1.0 ounce loads, I use 1.0 ounce wads with AACF and also any Remington hulls, but have to use 1-1/8 ounce wads with AAHS hulls. Otherwise I get tenting and shot leakage with the
AAHS.

I think that AACF and Remington Gun Clubs are better hulls for reloading. They last longer too.