ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New versus Old Dillon SL900
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:38 pm 
Field Grade

I can get a new SL900 for $1800 with the auto feeder or a used one for $1250. The used one is about 10 years old but rarely used, maybe 6000 shells. Is a new one worth the extra money or is the used one a better deal?

Post subject: Re: New versus Old Dillon SL900
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Of those two, I'd take the used Dillon loader in a heartbeat.

Dillon will provide just about ANY part for the lifetime of the unit for free (not just the first owner's lifetime). And they will rebuild one that you think is worn out for not much more than the cost of shipping and parts needed.

The loader is very tough. Very easy to convert between gauges.

Most used Dillon presses sell for about 85-90% of the cost of new units. They HOLD VALUE like almost nothing else, except maybe a Krieghoff.

AND, right now, Dillon is back-ordered on many of their presses - some as much as 8-24 (gulp) weeks. That used unit can be used tomorrow.

So, almost no risk buying a used Dillon, and immediate delivery.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:55 am 
Tournament Grade

I bought mine used off of this board. It's a fantastic machine.

Get the used one and spend some time getting to know her. She'll treat you right. And if she misbehaves, Daddy Dillon will set her right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:54 am 
Crown Grade

Yep, used all the way, since the machine comes with a life time warranty (the machine, and not the life times of the different owners).

Trust me, so can buy a totally destroyed Dillon machine, send it to Dillion to have them correct it (even just a pile of parts in a box), and just going to get a invoice in the box telling you want parts they replaced, and no charge to you. So short of the 1050's that are considered commercial machines, the rest of the Dillon machines have a life time warranty to them.

The only exception to this rule, is if you do something/mod the machine in a way to void its warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

FWIW,Yes Dillon will replace warranty parts,but times have changed to some degree.One of our shooters went to Dillon and wanted his 550B gone through,they told him that there would be a $65.00
charge to do that,but parts were free.The Super 1050 and older 1050 are considered commercial machines and come with a one year warranty.If you buy a Dillon Sl 900 and return it,there is a $35.00,restocking fee charged to do that.I tell people that,if you are going to look at the SL900,reloader,it would be wise to download the manual free from Dillon before you do that,so you
will have an insight into the unit?Also the Dillon show room is now closed on the weekend,unit further,notice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:46 am 
Limited Edition

Get the used one and order a replacement part kit for it. The only parts I’ve ever broken were the index ring and primer arm, both replaced for free in about a week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Be prepared for a long wait for parts. A friend waited several months for parts he needed to load 28ga shells. The parts arrived 2 weeks ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

There ain't nothing that can be obtained right now that is cheap or quick, except a disagreement.

good luck, garrisonjoe