Post subject: Re: Remington Gun Club Shells
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

blackdogsrule56 wrote:
dannyd93140 wrote:
thor_sen wrote:
dannyd93140 wrote:
... the Shenandoah Valley ....

Undoubtedly, one of THE MOST beautiful and idyllic places on this Earth!

Told that to a guy in sand box: he said you want our country: I wish you could see the valley.

I have been blessed to have spent my life hunting and fishing the Shenandoah Valley and the neighboring mountains. I live in the foothills 10 miles east of Shenandoah National Park. It is amazing country with rich history and awesome people. Not to mention great hunting and fishing.

I was the first one to get a chance to leave and took it. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:30 pm 
Field Grade

[/quote]I have been blessed to have spent my life hunting and fishing the Shenandoah Valley and the neighboring mountains. I live in the foothills 10 miles east of Shenandoah National Park. It is amazing country with rich history and awesome people. Not to mention great hunting and fishing.[/quote]

Sheer curiosity. What kind of birds can you hunt in the Shenandoah Valley?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:44 pm 
Field Grade

PoorRichRichard wrote:
I have been blessed to have spent my life hunting and fishing the Shenandoah Valley and the neighboring mountains. I live in the foothills 10 miles east of Shenandoah National Park. It is amazing country with rich history and awesome people. Not to mention great hunting and fishing.[/quote]

Sheer curiosity. What kind of birds can you hunt in the Shenandoah Valley?[/quote]

Some ducks. Lot's of geese. Good doves in September. A few woodcock on the eastern side of the mountains. There were quail years ago but they are pretty much gone. Some grouse in the mountains but same story. Pretty scarce now too. There was a pheasant season back in the 60's and early 70's but I have never seen one. Never looked for them to be honest. We have lot's of deer and bears though. I would not consider the valley as a bird hunting destination. Much better places elsewhere. Others may differ but I am near the lower part of the valley close to Front Royal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gun Clubs are great reloading hulls. Keep 'em!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

blackdogsrule56 wrote:
PoorRichRichard wrote:
I have been blessed to have spent my life hunting and fishing the Shenandoah Valley and the neighboring mountains. I live in the foothills 10 miles east of Shenandoah National Park. It is amazing country with rich history and awesome people. Not to mention great hunting and fishing.

Sheer curiosity. What kind of birds can you hunt in the Shenandoah Valley?[/quote]

Some ducks. Lot's of geese. Good doves in September. A few woodcock on the eastern side of the mountains. There were quail years ago but they are pretty much gone. Some grouse in the mountains but same story. Pretty scarce now too. There was a pheasant season back in the 60's and early 70's but I have never seen one. Never looked for them to be honest. We have lot's of deer and bears though. I would not consider the valley as a bird hunting destination. Much better places elsewhere. Others may differ but I am near the lower part of the valley close to Front Royal.[/quote]

I used to run the road between Winchester and Front Royal all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:46 pm 
Field Grade

Lived in Winchester for 3 years and loved it. Now in Hume, VA. Sort of remote but beautiful country

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

blackdogsrule56 wrote:
Lived in Winchester for 3 years and loved it. Now in Hume, VA. Sort of remote but beautiful country

Families been in Fredrick Country well over 200 years. And I know Hume: my dad ran a Kitchen cabinet company about 50 years ago we installed a large kitchen in a big house there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:12 am 
Field Grade

dannyd93140 wrote:
blackdogsrule56 wrote:

Families been in Fredrick Country well over 200 years. And I know Hume: my dad ran a Kitchen cabinet company about 50 years ago we installed a large kitchen in a big house there.

Small world. Where are you in FL. We have a place in Punta Gorda.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:36 am 
Tournament Grade

blackdogsrule56 wrote:
dannyd93140 wrote:
blackdogsrule56 wrote:

I live in Jacksonville: retired from the Navy. I have to get to Punta Gorda someday: I have driven US 17 from Pairs Virginia to Orlando, only part I'm missing is Orlando to Punta Gorda.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:41 pm 
Field Grade

dannyd93140 wrote:
blackdogsrule56 wrote:
dannyd93140 wrote:
blackdogsrule56 wrote:

I live in Jacksonville: retired from the Navy. I have to get to Punta Gorda someday: I have driven US 17 from Pairs Virginia to Orlando, only part I'm missing is Orlando to Punta Gorda.

Small world. Thank you for your service! If you ever get down this way PM me and maybe we could shoot a round at Bermont Sporting Club. I stink but love to shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Keep the gunclubs, even if you hunt salt water, they are so plentiful it's hard to walk out the door without stepping on one & unless you let the hulls roll around in salt water in the bottom of the boat, they last pretty good if you clean 'em up after exposure. I think they load better than AA's & are great for high land hunting as well.
OH yea Virginia! I was born in Virginia as was Mom, Pop's family was from S.C. Dad once told me how he killed 13 Canada geese in the Sheriff's cornfield near the Chesapeake Bay. It has always amazed me that Pop lived long enough to die of old age without serving time for a wildlife violation!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: Western Carolina - foothills to the Great Smoky Mtns!
blackdogsrule56 wrote:
dannyd93140 wrote:
blackdogsrule56 wrote:
...we could shoot a round at Bermont Sporting Club. I stink but love to shoot.

Hey! I shot Bermont twice when I was down in Punta Gorda in January 2020, awesome course and the Mgr, “Jake” is good folk! (Alas, I was supposed to be there ALL THIS MONTH but the ‘rona and an adult son only back to work a month now after a virus layoff 11 months ago has me staying close to home :twisted:

Mebbe next year. :roll: