ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resizing 410 AAHS Hulls - MEC SuperSizer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:48 am 
Field Grade

I reload 410 AAHS hulls on my MEC Grabber and normally shoot 410 skeet with an O/U. However lately I've really taken a shine to shooting my 1938 Model 42 Winchester skeet gun and I/m running into trouble with my reloads sticking in the chamber after firing. My very wise "old school" gunsmith is telling me that the brass bases aren't being made as sunstantially as they used to be which is causing the brass to expand when fired and stick in chamber.

If this is truly the case then my question becomes acedemic. Which is - I don't mind running my 410 hulls hulls through a MEC Super Sizer prior to reloading on my MEC Grabber. Does anyone think that this would help or am I wasting my time doing this. I will have to check into the poor house if I'm forced to shoot factory loaded 410 only in my Model 42. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Resizing 410 AAHS Hulls - MEC SuperSizer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:59 am 

Alleycat wrote:
I reload 410 AAHS hulls on my MEC Grabber and normally shoot 410 skeet with an O/U. However lately I've really taken a shine to shooting my 1938 Model 42 Winchester skeet gun and I/m running into trouble with my reloads sticking in the chamber after firing. My very wise "old school" gunsmith is telling me that the brass bases aren't being made as sunstantially as they used to be which is causing the brass to expand when fired and stick in chamber.

If this is truly the case then my question becomes acedemic. Which is - I don't mind running my 410 hulls hulls through a MEC Super Sizer prior to reloading on my MEC Grabber. Does anyone think that this would help or am I wasting my time doing this. I will have to check into the poor house if I'm forced to shoot factory loaded 410 only in my Model 42. Thanks

Your Grabber uses the same principle as the Super sizer. Just adjust the collet on your grabber to size properly.
Get the proper manual for your model Grabber right here at this link.
Mec Manuals

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:13 am 
Limited Edition

Easy peezey.
Set your resizing station to fit the gun with the smallest chamber in that gauge.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

With luck it will work.....it did not with my 9000H. 410 shot in my 725 would not fit into my SKB 200 HR after reloading. The collet on the 9000 has a limit with adjustments before it 'tops' out preventing the press from fully extending.
So, I shot a couple of new AAs boxes thru 200 and keep those hulls separate from the others to be use only in the 200.
MEC website reads that their 'Resizer' does a better job than their presses returning the brass to factory specifications.

H

UPDATE: edit
DUE TO THIS THREAD...MY 9000 now resizes to my SKB...read below.
H

Last edited by HenryPeter on Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:47 pm 
Crown Grade

HenryPeter wrote:
MEC website reads that their 'Resizer' does a better job than their presses returning the brass to factory specifications.

The resizer came into the market before the Grabber and 9000 did. So at one time that was a true statement.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Your fired shell sticking in the M42 chamber makes me wonder what pressure your reloads are reaching. I assume that the reloaded shells chamber easily or you'd have mentioned that. So, expansion upon firing is causing the hulls to stick. One major cause of expansion is excess pressure. - Ed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I had an issue where my loader would resize just fine but the new primer would expand the brass, measure your brass after the resize and again after priming. I ended up switching primer brands to stop that from happening.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 pm 
Field Grade

I would say that one out of 15 stick in the chamber. They load into the gun easily and my load speeds average around 1325 although I don't know the pressure. My gunsmith (who is a well known authority on Win. Model 42 cautioned me about 410 reloads sticking, citing the lower quality of brass on the modern hulls, before I even mentioned that I was experiencing an issue. His concern was not so much the sticking but the possibility of damaging the gun while exerting too much force on forearm hardware trying to shuck stuck hull.

I substituted some Chedite primers for win 209 in this batch of reloads becasue (A) I wanted to get rid of them and (B) they appeared to have very similar load data other than being slightly larger diameter. I'll load some with win. 209 and see if there's any difference. I've never used a MEC resizer before and though it may be worth an inquiry. For the sake of future inquiries I'll post results (stick or no stick) of the same load using Win. 209 primers. Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well hold on to your wads and shots because your truly had miss/forgotten a important part of the 'Collet Closure Adjustment' procedure.
After reading what the Brains wrote, I knew I had to revisit the topic. So I reread the instructions and there it was..the missing link to my failure. Damn!

It reads, "Always make sure that the flat side of the closer nut is properly aligned with the base support". Page 25. I failed to do this I realize now. You're good when you can wiggle the nut a little with your fingers, not binding against the support.

Not doing it jams the rounded corner of the nut against the base support. When I tested the machine, it made a racket stopping in mid descent and scared the hell out of me. I thought it had topped out against the bottom of the 'plate'. I reset the nut to where it was, aligning flat side by luck.

Tonight...
I adjusted the C C Nut correctly, one flat side at a time and can now report that my resized shells fit into my CG and SKB 200. It took 1/2 of a turn (4 flats sides) of adjustment.
Thanks...
H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

I bought a .410 Super Sizer to use in conjunction with my 600 Jr. but you shouldn't need it with your Grabber... it has a sizing collet that works in the same manner as the Super Sizer, I believe.

As 525 sporting mentioned in a previous post, I have also seen the case head expand after a primer is inserted. And I mean a Winchester 209, not a large diameter Euro-primer.

When I had some issues with reloads sticking in the chamber of a Tristar Viper G2, I bought the Super Sizer. I had the G2's barrel at the bench as I resized the hulls and test fit each one.

After reloading them, I test fit them again and several would not drop in. And it was the brass case head, not the body of the hull, that was not fitting.