ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mec 9000 Station 6 smashing edge of hull
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hi,
Loading AA HS 12 gauge and noticed some of my hulls were getting a little crease in them at the final station. I raised station 6 by 1/2 a turn and it appeared my problem was solved. 2 shells later the edge of the taper die caught on a shell and smashed it bad. Never happened before. I loaded another and it got smashed, too. I stopped and looked at everything and it seemed fine. Die feels smooth. It smashed 3 more and I stopped. I’m clueless as to how I caused this. Barely loosened the nut to turn the die. Ideas?
Jeff
https://i.imgur.com/xWc51qK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8St0cBl.jpg

Post subject: Re: Mec 9000 Station 6 smashing edge of hull
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:55 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I've had that when the shell did not line up with the finish die. The finish die is catching the edge of the hull. I seen it when the shell moved slightly out of it's slot in the shell carrier due to the shell carrier movement. I have also seen it when the hull was rocking a bit due to a primer that was not quite seated.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Jeff
Based on your post my guess is the first time it happened your carrier plate did not rotate far enough as Bob_K mentioned. That "smashing" resulted in a bent die post and the current issue. Loosen the adjustment nut and turn the shaft and see if it spins true.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Yup, and get in the habit of listening to the "click' of the spring-loaded latch dog lock snapping into place once it's rotated enough (and into the ball-baring detent).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the responses. I'll take it apart tonight - I presume the steel rod is bent. I've loaded over 150,000 shells on various MEC machines and I still find new problems. At least I have equipment and supplies to keep shooting:)
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:47 am 
Presentation Grade

Pulled out the finishing die this morning - it's bent. I must have moved the index a smidge when I was looking at shells. I need some other MEC parts anyway so time to put in an order! Again, thanks for everyone's help!
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

Republican wrote:
Yup, and get in the habit of listening to the "click' of the spring-loaded latch dog lock snapping into place once it's rotated enough (and into the ball-baring detent).

My hearing is bad, for sure, but I don't think I've ever heard that sound while reloading shells. For sure, it's probably being drowned out by the sound of the brass of the hull sliding down the shell slide.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:56 am 
Presentation Grade

John Henry wrote:
Republican wrote:

My hearing is bad, for sure, but I don't think I've ever heard that sound while reloading shells. For sure, it's probably being drowned out by the sound of the brass of the hull sliding down the shell slide.

Since Ive got my hearing "helpers", Im hearing stuff I havent heard for a long time. Time for a test?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

rosiesdad wrote:
John Henry wrote:
Republican wrote:

Since Ive got my hearing "helpers", Im hearing stuff I havent heard for a long time. Time for a test?

As a Naval Flight Officer, my hearing has been checked every year for the past 26 years! I got my first pair of hearing aids in 2008, and am probably on my 5th or 6th pair now.

But I usually don't wear them reloading.

And I agree with you, when I first put them in, I was amazed at what I could hear. I started laughing, and she said wheat's up. I told her I could hear the batteries (Hearing aid) rolling around in the plastic bubbles they come in. I'd have never heard that before. I was also with my dad when he get his first pair at the VA hospital in Lebanon, PA. He was walking down the hall and said, "Something's weird.....I can hear my shoes on the floor." I said, "Yup, welcome to hearing!!"