ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rem 57 primers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:46 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a box (1,000) of Rem 57 shotshell primers in perfect condition.
Since primers are virtually impossible to find these days wondering if there is any way to use the smaller Rem primers.
Anybody want to trade a box of 209s for my 57s?
Or is there any source of hulls for Rem 57s?

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

Post subject: Re: Rem 57 primers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not advising you to do this, but some cut off about 1/8” of a plastic soda straw and slip it over the 57 and then install it into a 209 pocket. I have heard that it works in fixed breech guns, not semi autos or pumps. Proceed at your own risk

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Those are pretty rare. You might want to put them up for sale/trade in the classifieds section where folks might actually look for such things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:18 pm 
Limited Edition

mpolans wrote:
Those are pretty rare. You might want to put them up for sale/trade in the classifieds section where folks might actually look for such things.

Local gun shop has two packs of 1000 sitting up on the shelf forever and still sitting there right now.

I have 700 on a shelf that get burned up very slowly in some old 20 gauge hulls but I fear I will run out of those hulls long before I get rid of those.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

I didn't put them up for sale because I assumed nobody uses them anymore. I used to shoot 20ga years ago so maybe that's why I had them back then. If they have been sitting on a shelf in a South Dakota gun shop forever, probably not much of a market anywhere. :) Tried straws, did not work. Thanks for the tips.

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are more of them laying around than you might imagine. The first problem is finding hulls that will take them and if you do, the second problem is finding recipes that will work with components that are available today. Most of the old recipes call for powders that are obsolete or have been out of production for a long time. That’s why those primers are still laying around. I gave away 1000 to a guy who loads them in brass hulls for black powder

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

The 57s fit just a little loose in 209 size primer holes but if I run out of 209 primers I might just glue a couple of 57s in my hulls with a little epoxy or even super glue! What do you think? My target reloads are mild, 3/4oz 1250fps, couldn't be dangerous? :)

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:14 am 
Field Grade

Check out the “Other Classifieds Classifieds” forum. Guy has 400 Remington hulls for sale that use the 57 primers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:22 pm 
Field Grade

OBH Gun Club wrote:
Check out the “Other Classifieds Classifieds” forum. Guy has 400 Remington hulls for sale that use the 57 primers

Looked for the 400 Remington hulls and couldn't find them,

BERETTA AL391 TEKNYS 12GA
BERETTA URIKA 2 20GA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:38 pm 
Limited Edition

I have tried the straw trick and it did work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

southdakbearfan wrote:
I have tried the straw trick and it did work for me.

Thanks that's good news...how tight was the straw on the 57 primer?
Did the 57 primers make your shells go off ok?

I have no idea how my recipe will work with a 57 primer. The recipe works fine with every type of 209 I have tried...Rem, Fed, Rio, Noble Sport, Fio. It's a light target load that I copied from Republican: any 12ga hull, 16.2gn Vectan A24, 3/4oz shot, CB 6100 wad in straight wall or CB0175 wad in tapered hull. I mostly use Fio primers since they are the cheapest.

I can't find a straw of the right diameter that fits snug enough on the 57 primer.
The straws I tried just get pushed down and do not fill the gap between the primer and the inside of the primer pocket, so the primer still falls out!

I will keep my eye out for more straw sizes, maybe I will find one that works.

If I don't find any straws that work, I guess I will try glue if I totally run out of 209s before they come back on the market.

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:12 pm 
Field Grade

Still there

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=529226

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The issue of using soda straws to "shim" the Rem 57 primer into a 209 hull was discussed recently, with favorable comments on the practice. Can't seem to find it, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

FWIW, I was curious and happened to have 100 of the Rem.*57 primers around so I turned 5 hulls (RXP) brass side up and glued the primer in with some Seal All (yellow & red tube) put some SA on the rim of the primer pocket and some on the primer. After letting sit for a few days I loaded them with 18 grs. of RD & CB-1100 wad. When I shot them (in a O/U) they all fired as expected. Not one of the primers backed out of the pocket. The blow back on the breach was more than expected and after I removed the primers from the hulls 3 of the 5 were a lot blacker on the sides with powder burn than a normal 209 primer. In the future I might try the straw method, but just using glue I would not use them in my guns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 am 
Diamond Grade

al1969brown wrote:
FWIW, I was curious and happened to have 100 of the Rem.*57 primers around so I turned 5 hulls (RXP) brass side up and glued the primer in with some Seal All (yellow & red tube) put some SA on the rim of the primer pocket and some on the primer. After letting sit for a few days I loaded them with 18 grs. of RD & CB-1100 wad. When I shot them (in a O/U) they all fired as expected. Not one of the primers backed out of the pocket. The blow back on the breach was more than expected and after I removed the primers from the hulls 3 of the 5 were a lot blacker on the sides with powder burn than a normal 209 primer. In the future I might try the straw method, but just using glue I would not use them in my guns.

Thanks for that info. If I cannot find straws that work, I am definitely going to use glue. Probably JB Weld. I am not worried about blowback hurting my target gun because I only have 1k 57 primers and clean the gun every time I shoot so a little blowback from that few primers is not enough to do any material damage. Plus I shoot an A400 and they are virtually indestructible if you keep them clean. Plus pretty sure blowback is not getting past JB Weld, it's amazing stuff. Hopefully the component makers will get primers back on the shelf and none of this will be necessary. But you have answered my main questions which were - will glue work and will my reloads still shoot more or less normally with Rem 57 primers. Yes to both! Thanks again.

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks William, one suggestion I have is to maybe use a steel headed hull like a Gun Club, the epoxy might bond a little better than it does to the brass hulls I used, also JB weld might be a little better epoxy than the Seal All , GOOD LUCK !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Nebs wrote:
The issue of using soda straws to "shim" the Rem 57 primer into a 209 hull was discussed recently, with favorable comments on the practice. Can't seem to find it, though.

I saw it also and think Byrd Slayr took credit for the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:24 pm 
Limited Edition

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ub ... ber=328499

Thread from another site with images. This is what I did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

al1969brown wrote:
Thanks William, one suggestion I have is to maybe use a steel headed hull like a Gun Club, the epoxy might bond a little better than it does to the brass hulls I used, also JB weld might be a little better epoxy than the Seal All , GOOD LUCK !!!!

Good point! Pretty sure you are right that steel will glue easier than brass. Luckily I do reload mostly steel base hulls - Gunclubs and many euro hulls are easy to find free at the gun range. Brass base hulls like STS or WinAA are very rare.

Never tried Seal All but I have used JB for many years and it is fantastic. If the primers don't fall out and jam my auto I will be happy. If I had an O/U like you I would be worried about blowback as well but it is super easy to clean the bolt face and firing pin channel in the A400 bolt.

Still hoping I can buy 209 primers before I run out. Don't look forward to fiddling with glue or straws.

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

southdakbearfan wrote:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=328499

Thread from another site with images. This is what I did.

Thanks for that link. Interesting that other people figured this out years ago. I don't actually remember using Rem 57 primers, that must have been quite a ways back.

My wife did find one straw in a drawer somewhere that fits the 57s snug and I ran a couple 57 primers with straw jackets into 209 hulls using your method and it seems to work. The primers do not fall out on their own but I can push them out real easy with a toothpick! Makes me think they might fall out inside the auto during ejection? The straw we tried was pretty thin material so wifey is still looking for better straws when shopping.
Thanks.

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life