ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rem 57 primers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Regardless of what you use to hold them in, I would not shoot them in a semi auto at all.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 am 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
Regardless of what you use to hold them in, I would not shoot them in a semi auto at all.

Yes, you might be right!
I am certainly wondering if the primers will fly out but I will test a few and if necessary just shoot the shells one at a time. I do shoot mostly singles in practice so that will not be a big problem. If some of the primers fall out I can easily fish them out of the action. I hope! :)

And remember this is a desperation situation that will only happen if I actually run out of 209 primers before the shortage ends plus I only have 1K of the 57s so at most this will amount to a few weeks of practice sessions. I guess I can put up with some aggravation for a few weeks compared to not being able to shoot at all.

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had a primer come out in an 1100 one time and it caused a fair amount of damage.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:49 am 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
I had a primer come out in an 1100 one time and it caused a fair amount of damage.

I can see that happening if I put 2 shells in the gun which would cycle the action. But my shooting will be practice for sporting clays and I will only load one shell at a time so the bolt will lock back after each shot and not cycle forward. If the primers fall out of the shell they will probably fall out of the gun completely, if not I should be able to see any stuck primer and fish it out. I agree its a risk but I will be careful and appreciate your heads up.

Thanks.

Bill Wood
NRA Benefactor Life
NSSA/NSCA Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
There are more of them laying around than you might imagine. The first problem is finding hulls that will take them and if you do, the second problem is finding recipes that will work with components that are available today. Most of the old recipes call for powders that are obsolete or have been out of production for a long time. That’s why those primers are still laying around. I gave away 1000 to a guy who loads them in brass hulls for black powder

The Remington 57* primer appears to have been proprietary to the old Remington-Peters Plastic and the Remington-Peters SP hulls. Both hulls had an asbestos type base differing them from Remington's All American and old style target hulls. SP target loads used 700X, Red Dot or Green Dot. Heavy field loads used SR4756, Unique or Herco. The WAA12 appears to be the only currently available wad that was used in combo with the 57* primer and the SP or Rem plastic hull. I haven' t seen either of those old Remington hulls in decades.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many of the powders called for in the old recipes include dinosaurs like: 7625, 4756, PB, Trap 100, various Scott powders, Alcan powders etc. All are out of production