ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mec 9000 Primer Jumping
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Howdy all.

I've just got my brand new press set up and have loaded appx 150 shells. It works well, but I am having the primer jump issue. I've got some of the Curly recommended special grease OTW, and will address the DRY collet as shipped from the factory.

My question regards the collet position relative to the floor? of the press. It protrudes appx 1/16" above it. I noticed that Curly recommends a dremel to relieve a little of the collet material.

Should I just loosen the nut below, and set the collet fingers a touch lower? I feel like they are impacting the primer on the upstroke.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Post subject: Re: Mec 9000 Primer Jumping
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hold off on grinding for now. What 9000 do you have? Is it bolted down rock solid?
H

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:28 pm 
Crown Grade

mdlott wrote:
My question regards the collet position relative to the floor? of the press. It protrudes appx 1/16" above it.

The top of the collet fingers have to be flush to the top of the base.(floor) Loosen the nut on the bottom of the collet and drop it down. After doing this your lifter will most likely have to be dropped down too.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:31 pm 
Crown Grade

HenryPeter wrote:
. What 9000 do you have?

There is only one 9000 as far as the collet is concerned. The 9000G and the 9000GN only have 1 major difference, the GN came with the 200 count primer feeder installed from MEC.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

All true but a collet issue isn't the only thing that will cause a 'primer hop'.
Mechanize vs. Manual operation of the press can be a difference as well as the anchoring of the press.
A brand new press...hmmm.....made on a Monday perhaps.

H

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:32 pm 
Crown Grade

HenryPeter wrote:
All true but a collet issue isn't the only thing that will cause a 'primer hop'.

Then take the time to help the OP and tell him what else might cause a primer hop based on the info he gave us.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

What is a "primer hop"?

As I get more experience with reloading, I keep my eyes squarely focused on the primer drop since it is the cause of a lot of issues when it fails.

What does the primer have to do with the collet?

I know on my device, I start a little slowly on the down stroke to make sure I'm not jammed up on station 1 or station 3, then I push the lever firmly down until it bottoms out. That bottoming out is like a little nudge to the primer tray that is sometimes helpful to make sure it drops.

On the upstroke, if the primer is sitting a little crooked, something knocks it straight. I assume that is the collet re-opening that does that. I've come to count on that.

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload

Last edited by md2020 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Something that has caused the dreaded "jump" or "hop" on my machine is having some shot wedged under the edge of the return bracket. Also be sure that the inside of the collet closure assembly is well lubed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

md2020 wrote:
What is a "primer hop"?

When your collet gets dry from lack of grease it can snap open so harshly it will cause the primer to hop out of the hole in the carrier plate. Sometimes flipping over completely and landing in the primer cup hole up side down.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One thing, when you drop the collet to make it flush with the base you have to readjust the collet. Dropping the collet 1/16" will make it size a lot smaller, possibly to the point of stressing the collet and ruining it. You will have to back off the collet closer.

You MUST read the instructions if you have never done this before. Lots of things that have to be done before you make this adjustment.

Curly probably has a thread about adjusting the collet.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is the thread,

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=199941

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Thank you gentlemen. I'll take a look.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

YevetS wrote:
HenryPeter wrote:

Then take the time to help the OP and tell him what else might cause a primer hop based on the info he gave us.

Steve

You got me there.....I do not have enough information to help the OP.
Cheers,
H

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you do decide to remove/adjust the collet, and not just adjust and lube the collet closer, do yourself a big favor and get one of these before you start...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEC-COLLET-REM ... XQbBVRCrrH

It's a simple looking tool but it makes the job waaaaaaay easier!

Oh, and a quality 13/16" socket...same size as a large spark plug socket but MEC puts that little nut on with about a gazillion ft/lbs of torque!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:08 pm 
Limited Edition

dogchaser37 wrote:
One thing, when you drop the collet to make it flush with the base you have to readjust the collet. Dropping the collet 1/16" will make it size a lot smaller, possibly to the point of stressing the collet and ruining it. You will have to back off the collet closer.

You MUST read the instructions if you have never done this before. Lots of things that have to be done before you make this adjustment.

Curly probably has a thread about adjusting the collet.

Page 25 of the manual describes the process. My plan is to lower the collet and shell lifter to flush using a straight edge. Then back off the closer nut to reduce crimp. Grease the collect with the special sauce, too. Hopefully on the right track.

I couldn't find a thread about adjusting the collet. Curlys collet lube thread is excellent, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
If you do decide to remove/adjust the collet, and not just adjust and lube the collet closer, do yourself a big favor and get one of these before you start...

Oh, and a quality 13/16" socket...same size as a large spark plug socket but MEC puts that little nut on with about a gazillion ft/lbs of torque!

I found a Mec YouTube video detailing collet removal. They don't use the tool, but a screwdriver from below. I don't think I'll need to remove the collet. I'm just going to lower it a tiny bit.

The tool does look useful, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:25 pm 

mdlott wrote:
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:

I found a Mec YouTube video detailing collet removal. They don't use the tool, but a screwdriver from below. I don't think I'll need to remove the collet. I'm just going to lower it a tiny bit.

The tool does look useful, though.

If a tiny bit is the right amount then that is good, but you want to lower the collet until the top of the collet is on the same plane as the surface of the loader where the hulls sit. Any higher, is too high, any lower may cause the hull to catch on the frame as it leaves the resizer.
After lowering the collet, you MUST adjust the collet closer to get a proper sized hull. You want one that is about 0.005" larger than a factory hull for maximum collet life and shell function.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Curly, I'm curious why you chose to grind your collet instead of lowering it slightly?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mdlott,

It is a small relief grind only to the side of the collet segments directly adjacent to the primer drop. The top of the collet is set level with the platform. No grinding to the top of the collet.

That small area also acts as an index reference point when disassembling for collet maintenance.

Not mandatory, but it sure is a good idea.

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:04 am 
Limited Edition

mdlott wrote:
I've got some of the Curly recommended special grease OTW,

OTW???