ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000GN turret out of alignment with carrier
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I have had an issue with the wad catching the edge of the shell on insertion, crushing the rim, and spilling the shot. Upon closer examination, I've discovered that the turret isn't coming down centered on the carrier stations below. Looking down from the top, the turret is indexed a bit to the left, or clockwise, to the lower stations. On station #2, prime and charge, I'd say it's off about 1/8th to 3/16th of the primer diameter. If I'm paying 100% attention to my stroke and put right-hand pressure on the handle, everything aligns. By doing this, I can load 99.5% perfectly. The problem is I'm concentrating on primer drop, wad and shot charge, Etc... and I sometimes forget the RH pressure and I get the spill on station 3.

I got the press used, so I have no idea how many shells have been loaded on it. It was lubed pretty well when I got it and I also keep it lubed. There just seems to be an excessive amount of play from the turret around the column it rides on. Is it possible to wear out a turret? I don't have access to another 9000 to compare mine too and any local stores that had one are sold out. I wrote MEC and they suggested making sure the bolt that attaches the column to the base is tight, if not it can cause angular misalignment. The bolt is tight and the column is 90 to the carrier. My problem is radial misalignment.

If it'll help I'll post some pictures and videos.

I can try post pictures or videos if it helps.

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000GN turret out of alignment with carrier
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like Page 30.

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/9000.pdf

This should help. Prolly other vids too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wfvUfdp60

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Yep, lets start with what Jager suggested, page 30, figure 65. Is your shell carrier plate stopping locked behind the anti-reverse lock as shown in the picture all the time? If not look at figure 64 and adjust the rearward travel adjustment bolt until it does.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 am 
Utility Grade

The carrier travel is set correct. The actual misalignment is the turret to the station below the carrier. I know it's hard to explain, so I'll try taking some pictures when I get home and posting them tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:04 am 
Crown Grade

Dingode wrote:
. The actual misalignment is the turret to the station below the carrier.

Are ALL the 6 stations misaligned or only the 1? If its 1 the first thing to look for is something got bent. I have sent bent shot tubes, the one that installs the wad. Put a small "dot" on it with a Sharpie and rotate it 180*. If it hits in a different spot its bent.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:46 am 
Presentation Grade

YevetS wrote:
Dingode wrote:
. The actual misalignment is the turret to the station below the carrier.

Are ALL the 6 stations misaligned or only the 1? If its 1 the first thing to look for is something got bent. I have sent bent shot tubes, the one that installs the wad. Put a small "dot" on it with a Sharpie and rotate it 180*. If it hits in a different spot its bent.

Steve

If every station is misaligned you should also check to make certain that the column is installed square to the base.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:15 am 
Crown Grade

Dingode wrote:
The bolt is tight and the column is 90 to the carrier.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Dingode wrote:
The carrier travel is set correct. The actual misalignment is the turret to the station below the carrier. I know it's hard to explain, so I'll try taking some pictures when I get home and posting them tonight.

Doesn't sound like it. The "clocking" is an adjustment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm looing forward to seeing the pics of the turret out of alignment. That's one I haven't seen before!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Is the "ratchet drive pawl" that advances the shell carrier IN THE WRONG HOLE?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:57 pm 
Crown Grade

In "help forums" such as this, it is so very important to use the correct part names so everybody(newbies and experienced) know what you are talking about. The correct names are just a click away.
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/9000-series-model-g

That being said I don't see how part #61, slide bracket, could be in the wrong hole. There are only 6 holes it can be in and it engages each hole once per revolution of the shell carrier plate.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Here is a link to photos and videos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S4zbyo93jCcK8Ypu9

Let me know if you need more pictures or videos.

The column is tight and not moving, the turret is loose. You can see the misalignment in the first picture. The second picture shows everything in alignment which is achieved by pushing the handle to the right. The videos shows the turret sloppiness on the column.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Dingode

WOW, I have never seen one that moves that much. You either have a VERY worn die head (never seen one with that much wear) or a combination of wear and poor "fit and function" from MEC. What that means is, all parts are made to a size and then a +/- tolerance to that dimension. For example, my center column is .697", so the spec for that part might have been .700" +/- .004". So any part from .704"-.696" is a good part. The die head is built to similar specs, but always has to be larger then the biggest dimension(.704") of the column by at least .004"(.708") so it slides. You run into your problem when one part is built to the large spec( die head) and the other to the small spec(column) both parts are technically good but they dont fit and function well.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:50 pm 
Utility Grade

YevetS,

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks the tolerances are excessive. Like I said in my first post, I bought this used and have no idea how many rounds it's loaded. It's an older model since it doesn't have the hole drilled in the base for the primer seat assembly and the post is just a threaded rod.

Turrets aren't terribly excessive, so I may start to look for one. My daughter's skeet shooting season starts next week so I don't have time to mail it to MEC for a factory rebuild or I would.

I have access to a Bridgeport mill and a surface grinder, so I may try to rig up some shims to get me through until I can find a turret or get it mailed in for a rebuild. I'm open to suggestions from all of you on the best way to get by.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

That does seem quite excessive. Mine (fairly fresh) has about 0.020 movement as seen at the drop tube to platten. The movement is also quite centered vs all to one side as yours.

A sophisticated machine would have some gibs to adjust, but no one every called these Rube Goldberg machines sophisticated.

Maybe if you could capture some shim stock by bending a tab on both ends? Determine the clearance with a feeler gauge and purchase the appropriate shim stock.

If you haven't, I'd send the pics/vids to Mec. Maybe we're overlooking something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:54 am 
Utility Grade

Jager1,
Gibs would be a great addition. I'll have to take a look at the thickness of the turret where it goes around the column and maybe drill and tap it for some nylon faced set screws. Not as good as gibs, but better than nothing possibly I do plan on grabbing some shim stock of varying thicknesses from our die shop today and doing exactly as you suggested.

I did contact MEC and provided them the link that shows the pictures and videos. I am I hope to hear back from them soon. Though this press looks pretty good and it was obviously well taken care of I think it's been well used. Not sure if it's worth paying postage to mailed into MEC plus the cost apart to have it rebuilt. Hopefully turrets will become available again and I'll purchase one and install it myself and see if that fixes the problem or at least helps it.

Open any suggestions still to any of you might have. I'll update this post after I put some shim stock in to try to center it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:10 am 
Crown Grade

Dingode

After thinking about your issue overnight and taking some measurements from the column hole in the die head I have, I am not sure that is where you should start looking. At this point I would start looking at all the 1/4-20 bolts MEC uses as rotational surfaces for the connecting links and handle on your 9000. Part # 31 and #118 in the exploded parts view. I would also look at all the linkage arms (#22 & #23) that ride on those bolts. I have replaced those bolts for customers that had so much wear you could see a groove. Same goes for the linkage arms, the holes where worn to an oval. You might need a new handle for the same reason, check the holes.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:34 am 
Utility Grade

YevetS,

MEC suggested the same thing. I'm going to look up the parts in the next few days and see how much they are and if anyone has them in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Dingode wrote:
I'm going to look up the parts in the next few days and see how much they are and if anyone has them in stock.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/MEC-L ... fo/130610/
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/MEC-H ... fo/130609/
Get the bolts at a hardware store and save some money.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Dingode

In your 6 second video, as the de prime punch moves to the right across the face of the spring pad(part # 88) it appears to me that only the right edge of the spring pad drops. True??
In the other video (3 seconds), it is happening so fast its hard to tell but is your column moving too?
Steve