ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000GN turret out of alignment with carrier
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:17 pm 

So in the second video, can you explain why it looks like the column is moving in a rotational manner when you cause the turret to rotate? If that is happening, no wonder it acts sloppy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ieCmZraMzxor13cj8

I believe that there is trouble with the column bolt that you say is tight. It may be hard to turn but it might not be clamping the column tightly to the base. A good start would be the removal of that bolt and possibly a tap run into the column hole and the bolt replaced with a new 6 line(Grade 8) hex cap bolt.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I didn't pick up on the column moving. Still can't say for sure with the camera shake.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 pm 
Utility Grade

YevetS,
The column is tight, very tight in fact, and doesn't move. There is just the play in the turret. I took out all of the linkage bolts yesterday and none are worn in the slightest and the holes in the linkage and handle are nice and round with no sign of wear. I was able to slip .004" of shim stock on the left, front, and right sides and the shake was still there as was the axial misalignment. I was only able to get shims in the top part of the turret as the column spring blocked me from getting it through the bottom.

I sat looking at the dumb thing, actuating the handle for about an hour last night. Nothing obvious is jumping out at me. I think it's one of the stamped steel parts is slightly bent, so I'll probably order the handle and linkage as suggested above and see what happens. Luckily, the misalignment isn't a game stopper, just an inconvenience when it causes a wad to catch on station 3, crushing the edge of the hull and causing a spill.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The turret play doesn't look that excessive to me. There has to be some clearance between the square column and the turret since it slides up and down. Your problem with the wads sounds like the wad guide is too high and not getting the fingers into the hull mouth before the wad goes through. Try lowering the wad guide a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:08 pm 
Crown Grade

That's like 3X the slop mine has. That it's all to one side would suggest something is bent to me.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

Last edited by Jager1 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

DanG wrote:
The turret play doesn't look that excessive to me. There has to be some clearance between the square column and the turret since it slides up and down.

For a good "slide action/movement" all you need is .010" between the parts. Theres way more then that in this case.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Nothing to update yet. I plan on ordering linkage and a new handle, but the bare handle is out of stock and I refuse to pay almost twice the price for the handle with a rubber grip. I still think the turret slop is excessive, but I agree that since it's pushing to one side that something is bent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Dingode wrote:
but the bare handle is out of stock .

Sometimes guys have those laying around from converting their unit to an "E" drive. Put up a WTB classified here.

Steve