ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: remington 209 vs winchester 209 primers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

Nebs wrote:
In a 3/4 oz 12 ga load? I would not hesitate to use the Win primer instead of the Rem. It will take something more, a lot more, than a primer change to get the pressure anywhere near the danger zone.

^^^^^^ Exactly^^^^^^^^

Post subject: Re: remington 209 vs winchester 209 primers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

john54 wrote:
I am wanting to try some 3/4oz loads for trap practice. I only have Extra Lite powder on hand and Winchester 209 primers. The load guide calls for Remington Primers. I am new at reloading and not comfortable changing the recipe without some advice.

Is it safe to replace the Remington primer with the Winchester primers I have?

I think you are on solid ground

I have been reloading only a few months.

One of my favorite recipes is Extra-Lite powder, 15g, 3/4 oz, Winchester 209 primers, cb0175-12 wads, 15g @ 1250fps and either Winchester AA or Gun Club hulls.

I have even used Cheddite primers, no problem.

Here is the recipe

http://www.claybusterwads.com/index.php ... -load-data

I originally used the 3/4 recipe from Alliant, but they spec'd the cb0178 wads which were too short. I didn't want to add a cheerios , so I switched wads. Its good now

Browning Citori 725 Sporting
Tristar Viper G2 Sporting
Tristar Sporting O/U (aka Turkish Junk)
MEC 9000 to reload