ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yes, I Am An Idiot. Why Do You Ask?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17 pm 
Field Grade

I saw a good deal on a couple of boxes of 0.315" lead balls. I ordered them, and tonight, as I was looking at them, I remembered...these are pure lead. IDK why I didn't think about them being too soft. Would PC'ing help with deformation? I'm thinking I might add buffer and a over shot cards between the layers. Any ideas would be welcome.

Post subject: Re: Yes, I Am An Idiot. Why Do You Ask?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:37 am 
Crown Grade

Just shoot them slower. Subs are good for limited applications

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:29 am 
Presentation Grade

Pure lead buckshot was used for hundreds of years in muzzle loading shotguns.

Won't probably hold as tight a pattern, but will work. That size is just about single-0 buck, so it would fit in most shotcups using 3-ball layers.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:41 am 
Presentation Grade

I wouldn't expect it to make much difference at all.

The amount of deformation will probably be less because the pellets are larger, and in any even the mass of the pellet is so much greater the aerodynamics would have lesser effect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

They will work fine with 12 stacked by two in a Remington gun club hull with a WAA red wad. They will also work fine stacking by three in a straight wall hull like federal. Both slowing down the velocity and adding a shot buffer will tighten the way they pattern. Be careful with adding a buffer as it will raise pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Gee, you go right into your problem without defining what you're going to use them for. You just assume everyone knows it will be used for buckshot loads. 315 RBs are great in 32 cal muzzleloaders. So why would that make you an idiot ? You didn't say how thick a patch you'd be using.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well, the OP DID put his post in a shotshell reloading forum. Had he posted in a rifle shooting forum, then the assumption he was about to shoot a ML rifle would be appropriate. But here, the assumption he's making buckshot shotshell loads is highly more likely to be right.

good luck, garrisonjoe