CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ponsness Warren 800B VS Dillon SL 900
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:28 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I've been using my PW 800B since the early 80's. I looking to buy one in 20 GA now. My wife tried a Dillon SL 900 and really liked it. Does anyone have any experience (good, bad, other) with the Dillon? I'm open to suggestions re the Dillon before I get another PW.

Post subject: Re: Ponsness Warren 800B VS Dillon SL 900
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've had my Dillon in 12 gauge about 3 months now and have no regrets. Set up is easy and the owners manual is very well done with good explanations. I've had a few problems but Dillon's tech support was extremely helpful. Like any loader there is a learning curve. I've never used a PW so can't offer any comparisons. The case feeder on the Dillon may be offered as an option but you'll quickly find out that it is a necessary purchase as its very awkward to use the loader without it and it is very slick. If you don't want to spend the money for the case feeder I'd suggest you look at another brand. The primer feed is very reliable and I've only had a couple of times when it failed to drop a primer and that was when the tray was nearing empty so now I don't let it get too low. I'd buy the Dillon again with no hesitation. One of the reasons I bought the Dillon was because of my good experience with their metallic loaders. Sooner or later with any loader you'll need some technical support and Dillon's is first class. I don't know if you can buy a part from Dillon as they always send what you need for no charge. I can't say that the Dillon is better than the PW since I've never used one but I'm satisfied with my purchase. Good luck

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I also thought about "upgrading" from a P/W to a Dillon.
It appears there are many more (small) parts in a Dillon reloader than the P/W before adding on a shell feeder. It also appears that Dillon likes to use plastic or nylon for many pieces.
I decided to stick with my trusty P/W.
I think the only way to step up from P/W is to go with a Spolar

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
I've been using my PW 800B since the early 80's. I looking to buy one in 20 GA now. My wife tried a Dillon SL 900 and really liked it. Does anyone have any experience (good, bad, other) with the Dillon? I'm open to suggestions re the Dillon before I get another PW.

I had a Dillon SL900 in 20ga for about 3 months and had to return it for a refund because it just would not reliably produce decent reloads and it was too difficult to adjust for different hulls and load recipes. I wrote a rather lenghty explanation of my problems in a different thread. If you are interested in the details I will try to find it for you. Let me know.

There is no reason not to try the Dillon since you can return it if it doesn't work out for you but you might be happier staying with PW. I switched to a Spolar and I am very happy now. The only significant downside of the Spolar is the price.

Bill Wood
Life Member:
NRA, NSSA/NSCA

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

MEC 9000G

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Here is my .02 on the Dillon.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... ht=#454187

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:12 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I apologize for my late response, thanks for the feedback guys. I have a line on a PW 800B 20 ga for $275, so my decision may have been made for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Since you've been using an 800 for 20+years...I think that speaks volumes for the loader. You already know it's a good machine. At $275.00...if the 20 ga is in good shape.....I'd grab it in a heartbeat. Even if it needed a little TLC and a couple of parts, you know what you're getting...something reliable that you are already familiar with and will likely last you another 20+years.