It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cost of hulls
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:32 pm 
Field Grade

What are once fired 20 gauge STS or AA hulls worth? How about 28 gauge AA?

Post subject: re: Cost of hulls
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

28 ga AA have been going for 15 cents on e-Bay and that seems high.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Either STS or AA-HS 20 gauge hulls will reload 10 times or more and are worth no more than a nickel apiece, including shipping.

The other Remington hulls -- Gun Club, Sport Load, Game Load -- are just as good but would go for much less, about two or three cents apiece.

In 28 gauge, the STS hull will go for as much as the AA-HS -- 12 to 15 cents -- but will not reload with decent crimps more than about five times. The AA-HS will easily reload 10 times or more.

You'll do well to avoid STS hulls altogether in 28 gauge or .410 bore -- unless they're free.

And that's fact from much experience -- not opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:38 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Robb,
Personally I would not pay anyone 15 cents each for any hull out there. That's purely robbery and buying at that price only perpetuates the inflated cost of these hulls.

If people would quit paying that price, they, (the sellers) would get the message and price them more reasonably. Very few hulls are worth as much as 10 cents, and very few are worth that much. Most aren't worth more than a nickel.

At that price I would rather buy new shells and then reload my own hulls after firing the new ones. At 15 cents each hull, that's $37.50 a case for just the hulls. Half the price of a case of new 28 ga. or 410 shells. Simply too high and I flat out won't pay it.

DLM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
What are once fired 20 gauge STS or AA hulls worth? How about 28 gauge AA?

Here is the math: Lets say new 20ga factory STS/AA shells are $5.50 per box at Walmart. Also lets assume that you can reload comparable 20ga shells for $2.50 per box.

Thus you can buy new high quality factory shells, shoot them and keep the empties. The empty hulls cost you the difference between what you paid for the new shells and what it would have cost you to use reloads in the first place.

Result:

5.50 - 2.50 = 3.00, cost of empties.

3.00/25= .12, cost per empty hull.

Therefore the maximum you could pay for once fired 20ga empties is .12 each including shipping. But in reality 20ga empties are not worth that much because you can scrounge FREE excellent empties at the gun range. They do go for about .05 each on eBay but I wouldn't pay that since it is so easy to find free hulls.

So my suggestion is don't pay anything for 20ga empties. Scrounge them. Any Rem hulls are fine. Gun Clubs, Game Loads, STS, etc are all great for reloading and use the same load data.

Now 28ga is a different animal because it is hard to find free empties.

The math is the same except the cost of new 28ga AAs is higher, lets say about 7.50 per box.

7.50-2.50= 5.00, cost of empties per box
5.00/25= .20 per empty hull

So the maximum you can pay for AA 28ga empties is .20 each including shipping. And of course this assumes my price estimates for new shells and reloads are accurate. Those prices will vary by location and how well you buy reloading components.

Also note as Case says that STS hulls do not last nearly as long as AA HS hulls in 28/410ga so AA HS hulls are worth more.

Since you can get your own 28ga empties by buying new AA HS factory shells and shooting them I would not even consider paying as much as .20 per hull for empties - its easier to buy your own new shells and you know you are getting once fired hulls in perfect condition. Maybe .15 is the max anyone would consider for eBay 28/410 hulls.

Bill Wood
NRA Patron Life Member
NSSA/NSCA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:37 am 
Field Grade

For 28 gauge, do what i do: find a friend who shoots 28 but doesn't reload and scrounge the empties off of him. I have a buddy who shoots the Estate 28 gauge loads (same as Federal) and I get all the empties I need. Sure, the Estate hulls only load four or five times before they begin to split, but they're free.

As for the prices on Ebay, most of those auctions don't start out at 15 cents apiece, people bid them up that high. A while back, if I recall correctly, 300 16 gauge Federals were bid up to $54.00! That's 18 cents each, or $4.50 a box! People get "auction fever" and often bid an item up much more than it's worth. Me, I'll never buy a hull on Ebay again.