CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "odd" gauges
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Like 9mm, 24 ga, 32 ga, etc. I've read about them but have never owned or even seen one. Just wondering if anyone here owns and uses one of these or other non-standard gauges, and if so, why?

Post subject: Re: The "odd" gauges
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I coulda bought a Beretta in 24 gauge, but I passed. I just didn't want another gauge to reload for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:17 am 
Crown Grade

Oddgauge, Popplecop, and Snipehunter have mentioned owning them. I can't understand it myself. I don't think there is anything a 24 or 32 can do that at 20 or 28 can't, except cause a lot of trouble finding ammo, hulls, and wads.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Have never fired any of the odd gauges.A couple of years ago a fellow at a gunshow had a brand new 24 gauge O/U for sale.Do not remember the make but some factory somewhere is turning out new 24 gauge shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've noticed that Midway (and others, I'm sure) sells shotgun shells in 9mm, 24 ga, and 32 ga so I assume someone owns guns in these sizes. Maybe they're popular elsewhere in the world or something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:36 am 
Presentation Grade

Some people just don't get it. "won't do anything a 28 or 20 can do" So what? A 20 will do anything a 12 or 16 will do and do it better than a 28, so the only gauge of shotgun that should be manufactored is the 20ga right?

Love my 24ga. Had a chance to buy same gun that had 24 and 32ga barrels. Wish I would have come across it first. But then gee, I would have to fuss around and struggle finding shells, and hulls, my goodness, what toils and trouble. I guess I will sell all of my "odd gauges" and buy just one 20ga.

Look at it this way, I am essentially shooting 28ga load out of a bigger bore, that is my philosophy in about all gauges. I shoot 20ga loads out of a 16, 16 ga loads out of my 12 and shoot 12ga loads out of my 10ga. Payload going out of a larger tube, better pattern, more shot on target. That is my reasoning, right or wrong.

I like loading my own, have zero trouble finding components.

Take your new 24ga (that you are going to buy) and take it with you dove shooting. Your friends will be amazed!! Will kill pheasants, grouse, prairie chickens, huns, and this spring it is going to kill a turkey!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Hey, it's a free country! Shoot whatever floats yer boat! But, 28 gauge is about as exotic as I care to get. I almost never shoot more than 3/4 oz in my 20 gauges (except for pheasant) and I shot 5/8 oz loads out of my 28 gauge today. One of these threads mentioned a 24 gauge Darne. Now that would be a conversation piece!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 am 
Diamond Grade

28 gauge wrote:
Have never fired any of the odd gauges.A couple of years ago a fellow at a gunshow had a brand new 24 gauge O/U for sale.Do not remember the make but some factory somewhere is turning out new 24 gauge shotguns.

I seen a Beretta SxS advertised not that long ago in 24ga. I would love to add a 24 or 32 to my collection of bird guns. I search for one often on the gun action sites. Just need the cash and a gun to be available at the same time and I'll have one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 am 
Presentation Grade

i believe Rio makes shells in all the "odd gauges". from what i understand from doing some reading when i was looking at buying a 24ga is that they still enjoy some popularity in Europe. i think asking why would you hunt with one is like asking why fly fish. there is only one answer. because i can, it's fun and i like to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Listed on Guns International
Arrieta Model 578 24 ga. with 28" barrels choked IC/MOD

Description:

Arrieta Model 578 "24" ga. with 28" barrels choked IC/MOD. Straight gripped walnut English stock, 14 3/4 x 1 1/2 x 2 1/4 inch of cast off. Weight 5 oz. These are exclusive with Wingshooting Adventures and priced at $6,950.

Those 24 gauges really are light!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

There is no good reason to own an "odd" gauge other than the desire to play with one which is a very good reason. In some ways my 16's are becoming an odd gauge. Another gauge that passed, but was a very good one was the 14 gauge. Some were made in muzzle loaders and a friend of mine shot BP trap with an original. In the hammer days there was less reach to thumb back the hammers and they made a great gun. A 9mm or 36 cal would be about a 110 ga as the 410 is about a 64 ga. Might be a good snake gun? The 24 ga would ikely handle a slightly heavier laod better than a 28. Mostly, a shotgun gauge is more dependent on the type of shotguns made to used them.
DP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 pm 
Utility Grade

My Grandfather has a 9mm shotgun, or at least that's what a local gunsmith told him it was. It is old (if not older...) than the hills, no markings on the gun at all. We have no clue what it is. Although it will chamber a .357 Magnum shotshell load and shoot it just fine. The hammer is broke (won't stay locked back), so the only way to fire it is to pull the hammer back and let it drop. But yeah, he has no boxes of ammo (we didn't even know 9mm shot existed till recently) and the gun rarely gets shot, it just kinda sits on the rack. Definitely an "odd gauge" though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:58 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Dense Fog wrote:
My Grandfather has a 9mm shotgun, or at least that's what a local gunsmith told him it was. It is old (if not older...) than the hills, no markings on the gun at all. We have no clue what it is. Although it will chamber a .357 Magnum shotshell load and shoot it just fine.

Unless you're looking to mangle yourself, please don't do that!!!

Shotguns and .357 Magnums have VERY different chamber pressures! The HIGHEST chamber pressure I've ever seen listed for ANY shotgun is 14,000 psi. The .357 Mag is listed as a chamber pressure of 35,000 psi!

Clearly, very bad things could happen if you put a 35000 psi bomb in a chamber designed to hold 14000 (or less!) psi. So far, you've been lucky. Please quit while you're ahead, take your winnings and "walk away from the table". You're gambling with your physical health.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.