CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Affordable 28 Gauge Target Loads
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is there such a thing? What do you shoot and how much does it cost. I know most of you reload - we are not there yet. I'm trying to get a realistic cost of use.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Affordable 28 Gauge Target Loads
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

Around here (South Jersey/Delaware) the best price for 28 gauge AAs or STSs are about $106/flat, $10.60/box. No sales tax in DE.

Buy decent quality shells and then if you reload you can cut your cost down to about $3.75-$4.50/box (not counting the initial cost of the reloader). You can usually get quite a few reloads out of a good quality hull. The most expensive component is typically your hull, followed by the lead shot. If you buy the cheap shells (Estates, etc.) then you can still sell the once fired hulls but you won't get 15 cents each for them. I reload Estates but only for factory shells that I shoot and only in an O/U where I can verify the base wad isn't stuck in the barrel.

If you don't reload, then you can sell your once fired hulls for about $0.15/hull, making your cost final about $7/box.

Some actually enjoy reloading. I like not having to run around to find shells on sale and reload just to feed my hobby. I use a single stage Sizemaster for 28 gauge since I don't shoot high volumes. I prefer the MEC 9000 progressive for 12 gauge which I shoot more often.

Here's a link to a reloading calculator. This is a very useful tool...might help in your decision.

http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My local sells cases of AA 28ga for $90. Still pricey. I also bought a sizemaster MEC and will try my
hand at reloading this winter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lake run brown,

Unfortunately, the the 28 gauge (along with the 16 & .410) are much more expensive than 20 or 12 gauge shells. I can pick up 12 & 20 gauge target loads at Dick's for $5/box. I cannot reload for much less than that. 28 gauge shells carry a premium, and I have decided to reload for them.

If just starting out, I would probably recommend the 20 gauge. If you are concerned about recoil I would investigate some of the low recoil target loads that are out there (Not cheap, but you can still find them for less than a lot of 28 gauge ammo).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unless you can afford new shells everytime you shoot, the only affordable target loads for the 28ga are reloads. Not a difficult process and adds to the joy of the 28ga. The initial cost of a couple of flats of AA's will pay you back in reload ability( I get around 12-14 reloads out of each hull), with a cost of well under $4/box. I do not factor in the cost of equipment as I am not reloading for resale or as a commercial venture, but a good used press and scale will not break the bank and properly maintained will last almost forever it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wish we could get Win AAHS shells here for that sort of money it cost me $360 a case (500) I'm trying to find a place in the states who will send once fired hulls so far no luck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Define "affordable". When compared to Tungsten waterfowling loads, 28ga AAHS seem downright cheap... it's all relative.

I can get some of the Eurotrash in the high $60's at wholesale, but they aren't worth it...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:13 am 
Crown Grade

Beikirch's (E. Rochester NY) has AA-HS shells on sale for $89.90 a flat. It's a "monthly special".

My buddies and I have stocked up.

Inexpensive 28 shells? The simple answer is "RELOADS"!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BobK

That's the place. I go to Beikirch's to get my 28s and .410 shells as well. I have a flat of 28s and .410s on my
Xmas list this year. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:33 am 
Diamond Grade

I believe RIO sells sporting/skeet/trap shells for around $6 box/$60 case. I am in the DC area and I was told that one of the pros at the PG County range can get them for you.

Keep well, keep happy & keep your head on the stock. - Robert Stack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:25 am 
Diamond Grade

I just got into 28 ga and the first thing that crossed my mind was "load your own". Now I'm the kind of guy that rolls his own for everything but 22LR. I love doing it.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:01 am 
Field Grade

Kemen/Rio has been my choice for the last few years. Check out the Kemen website and see where your closest dealer/distributor is. Here in Jacksonville, FL, 12 & 20 are $54-62/flat depending on the load. I believe their 28ga 3/4oz load is $82/flat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:46 am 
Diamond Grade

You just have to use a little common sense; watch for sales, buy hulls when and where you can find them... First and foremost don't buy the car if you can't afford the gas.