Shotgun Forum banner

A real sub gauge .22 shot.

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  GP100man 
#1 ·
I have just picked up a b/d present for my G/F, a Webley & Scott single shot bolt action .22 smoothbore garden gun.
I was pleased at how well it patterned compared to my rifled guns, however when I tried a few Eley subsonic hollow points, a barn door came to mind :lol:
Rats and magpies had better watch out, it's even quieter than her air rifle.
She has a Mossberg 20ga slugster and a Rossi 28ga but the .22 smoothbore hopefully will not alarm the neighbours.

#4 ·
Hello! Congrats on your smoothbore 22! When I was a teenager I bought a Remington 514SB, which was a smoothbore single shot, uh, shotgun. (Yes, I remember the model number even after all these years) It even had a shotgun bead instead of rifle sights. In a moment of insanity years ago I sold it and my other guns, for which I am still kicking myself.

The gun turned out to be so much fun that several other of my hunting friends got one. We mainly shot sparrows, bats, and targets tossed in the air. We practiced with a guy standing behind a tree and throwing wood blocks which we would wing shoot. It was lots of fun, and unlike shooting a regular 22, we didn't have to worry about injuring someone where the bullet came down. We did find some curious holes in the wood blocks and I suspect that on the way out the barrel a few shot fused.

I've looked off and on for years to replace that gun, but they are scarce and the ones I've found have been in poor shape. I recently happened upon a site called Whittakers Guns who was advertising a smoothbore Savage that they had made up special. It too was a single shot with wood stock. Despite the smooth bore it sported rifle sights. In a few days, one was in my hands.

Like you, I found that shooting solids was a short range proposition or just for entertainment purposes. The only ammo we have available now is CCI, which come with a blue plastic nose to contain the shot. When I had my Remington the one shot cartridge available was Federal in 50 count boxes with a crimp at the end. Those are really hard to find here. Hope Federal gets busy and makes us some.

Enjoy the smoothbore! I'm glad I was able to find one to help bring back those memories.

#5 ·
I would think the plastic tipped CCI round superior to the old brass crimped rat shot. There are several one shot, kid models in .22LR naturally equipped w/rifling.

It's a shame that none offers a smoothbore. For a bit over a C-note I purchased a new 10" fluted bull barrel single shot pistola w/left hand bolt. Though I'd prefer 14-18" this style platform would lend itself well to #12 shot.

I'd buy one in .22 mag calibre in a heartbeat.

#6 ·
The little Webley is fun and useful for some pest control situations.
From my observation the smoothbore .22 throws a better pattern and would benefit from a change from #12 to #10 shot, I contacted CCI about this and got a reply that #10 would have better energy but #12 works best in other short barreled or rifled firearms. CCI would not consider making .22 shot shells in #10 for the very few smoothbore out there.
I also have an Anschutz 9mm rimfire garden gun which is pretty anemic by shotgun standards but even this can be too much gun in some circumstances. I think the CCI .22 shot shell with #10 shot would work, I have no experience of the .22 magnum shot shell, if it's not too noisy it may be the best of the three calibres.

#8 ·
A 108 gauge would be much closer as I think the 9mm is 8.8. There's about 40 gauge dif from 28/68/108.
In fact the 410 can duplicate 28 gauge as the farther down the gauge scale the closer they are to each other.
The 36 gauge would fit nicely except that was erroneously used for the .410.
All the more reason for the 40 gauge.

#10 ·
At me post I didn't note the .22 was the rimfire of discussion. I'm going to round off to 68 gauge for the .410. A 40 gauge measures .488 and I'm rounding the 9mm to 108 because it fits for me.

Within 0.011811" at that end of the scattergun spectrum lies a ten gauge spread.

That much restriction on the muzzle of a .410 would classify as a tight modified choke.

Hits like a 104, yet carries as a 114. :roll:

#11 ·
we shoot .22 smooth bores indoors at the Milltown Ind American Legion at turkey shoot cards. we only use federal and shoot at 16 feet. we shoot 32 rounds with 15 shooters, it costs $1.25 to shoot a round and winner takes half the pot. great fun and fund raiser for charity.

#13 ·
If you shoot skeet, try high house #8. If you are dead on, sometimes you can actually break the bird with that tiny load of shot

#14 ·
I have a Remington .22 pump, Model 572 smoothbore. The old style crimped #12 shot cartridge is way superior to the CCI with the plastic cap. I just bought a brick of Federal shot cartridges from Midway, great gun for chipmunks and red squirrels. The crimped style shells have more "bang" to them than the CCI.

#15 ·
#17 ·
Not a 22 SB , but my medicine for mr no legs is a 410 with 45 LC , 2 gr. of clays & filled the rest of the case with #10 shot card over cut from cereal box to hold the shot in.

I also form a 357max to fit into 357 mag , makes mince meat out of a no legged creature.
Comes in handy out here in the coastal NC swamps!!

What I would`ve gave for a SB to shoot rats at the hog barn when I was a yungen!!

GP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.