It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NIKKO-5000-II-12GA. ANYBODY KNOW OF THIS SHOTGUN?
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Just purchased a shotgun I know nothing about. Smart move huh?
It says NIKKO-5000-II-12GA. AND KANEMATSU-GOSHO USA INC.ARLINGTON ILL. ON THE BARREL. It is in great shape just a few small scratches on the stock on one side. Beautiful metal art work. It's a trap gun both barrels full. It has a wide vented rib. Doesn't look like it had much use. May of paid too much don't care. Just don't know anything about it. Can anyone help me out or should I put a for sale sign on it?
thanks
Mike

Post subject: Re: NIKKO-5000-II-12GA. ANYBODY KNOW OF THIS SHOTGUN?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:28 am 
Diamond Grade

Pics would help. Probably very similar to a Win 101 trap gun, and they almost all came out of the same Olin-Kodensha factory.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Great gun mate, I had a pair a Trap and a Skeet, these guns were of very high quality some nice engraving and Brass insert in the forend, the rib is a strange set up, wide alluminium dovetail type fit, these guns were made under the Nikko brand by Olin in Japan, years of manufacture ran from 1975-1995 they are a fantastic durable nice honest hard working gun, I put nearly 50,000 rounds through mine and it was a dream, never missed a beat and most components are interchangeable with the 101 Winchester series, you have a great good old gun DONT sell it these are becoming quite rare I sold mine for nearly double what I paid for it, once you get a fix on it, you will know why.

Cheers

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:52 am 
Field Grade

Mike,

Nikkos are great guns. I have several - a Nikko Model 612, 812, NTG, and Shadow Skeet. A friend just bought a 20 gauge Model 5000 - it's beautiful and he loves it. Nikko was in partnership with Winchester for a while (I also have a Japanese Winchester 101), so I'm sure some parts are interchangeable. Nikko also makes a Golden Eagle that was also made for Winchester. One thing Nikko did while in partnership with Winchester is that they kept the best wood for Nikkos instead of Winchester. I agree with Gary that they are great guns - and generally undervalued in the US due to a lack of knowledge. Japan makes great guns - their culture encourages craftsmanship and quality. Hang on to your Nikko - you'll be glad you did.

Patrick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a golden eagle nikko 5000-I-12 gauge,over and under both have skeet wrote on them, and had it for 31 years now. Shot some skeet when i was a kid and been in the safe ever since, no rust, some scratches on the stock but a good looking gun. Question is how much could i get for it? dug through the safe and have a few guns that i might sell, that would be one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 pm 
Utility Grade

todd777 wrote:
I have a golden eagle nikko 5000-I-12 gauge,over and under both have skeet wrote on them, and had it for 31 years now. Shot some skeet when i was a kid and been in the safe ever since, no rust, some scratches on the stock but a good looking gun. Question is how much could i get for it? dug through the safe and have a few guns that i might sell, that would be one.

I have a nikko 5000-I-12 as well. The only real 'downside' to owning one of these is that they're almost always fixed-choke. Mine's got some flexibility as it's choked M/IC, but being choked SK/SK pretty much relegates it to a skeet gun. I'm no expert though, maybe one of these other more experienced guys can provide more insight.

That being said, it's an *excellent* shotgun. Maybe not as shiny or pretty as some of the newer shotguns but I love how mine shoots and handles. To answer the OP (or at least try to), I'm not sure about the mk II series, but the mk I 5000s are nice and heavy, which means less percieved recoil. This is more important when you're shooting clays and putting your shoulder through 100+ shells. For hunting, the lighter shotguns seem more desirable. I think the quality of the Nikko shotguns is extremely high and they're well built. I've compared it side-by-side (and shot-by-shot) to a Citori and (imho) prefer the Nikko. As always, though, YMMV, and remember that I'm giving you info based on a 5000 mk I (so take it all with a grain of salt.)

todd777: As for value, no clue. Looking on GunBroker isn't a real good indication - there's a lot of very... 'hopeful' listings in terms of the prices I see there. But it could give you a ballpark-ish idea of what you might be able to get for it.

I'd be interested if you're looking to sell it. I'm just getting into shooting skeet and really do love how my nikko shoots. It'd be great to have a skeet-specific shotgun that I know I'll love. PM me to discuss.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I just purchased a NIKKO "Golden Eagle" Model 5000 II 12 Ga. on Sunday. I shot it this evening at my favorite trap club. I really like it. Very soft shooting and will break birds if I do my part. It's in "like new" condition and is very well made. It needs to be shot and broken in and that's my plan. It fits me like a glove and as I said above very soft shooting (Winchester AA Heavy Target loads) for such a light gun with the hard rubber/plastic butt plate. It's probably the softest shooting shotgun I've ever shot, it just feels good. I can see a long term relationship in the making. $900.00 (maybe a tad much) well spent IMHO.

De Oppresso Liber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 am 
Diamond Grade

Nikko pricing in the real world seems to be pegged to the comparable Win 101, minus 20-25% because it does not have a big "W" on it. I have seen some Nikkos for which there is no comparable Win 101, and those might go at a premium. As shooters, these guns are great values, but some parts can be difficult or nearly impossible to find, such as replacement forends for the early ones (same issue for some of the 101s).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I own a Niko 5000 golden eagle. Does anyone know where I can find extra barrels? I'm looking for 30" barrels.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Bought a well used one 22 years ago, I've shot the hoo-hoo out of it. The top lever really is a little too far to the left, it will go for a reset this winter. Replaced the firing pins twice (win 101s work fine). Looked at one four weeks ago at a swanky gunstore, they wanted $600, damn near called them this morning to see if they still have it. Fixed chokes, big deal, seemed to work for a 100 or so years before Winchokes. Mine was originally mod/full, had the full opened to a light mod or tight improved so that I could shoot steel (never larger than #3's). Took it out to shoot sporting clays a couple of nights ago, 41/50 (I blew the last two stations, not the gun!). I'll carry it for sage hens next week. Great guns, I really should see if I can get the one I saw, $600 is good, but if I could get it for $500 I'd be really pleased!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:47 am 
Utility Grade

Hello all,

Hope you're fine,

I up this one because I got a nikko 5000-2 skeet ? (it's a legacy)

Is the gun made in aluminium ? Someone told me it's "crap" false skeet gun can't use it to double each strike. Only rifle to do hunting and shot few rounds a year. Is this true ?

I want to use it for clay shooting (skeet or sport compak because trap is not possible with this rifle) but the top lever is little bit to the left so I think I need to replace the top lever spring and totally don't know how to do it and if someone can help me about that it would be much appreciated. Also does this one will fit (http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_909_3_31_80.php)

Some pictures for you :

Thank you very much for your kind help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:24 pm 
Field Grade

There was a time that this and the win 101 was made at the same factory. I used to have the same shotgun, bought it in Japan! It was a sweet. Have fun with it

Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's NOT aluminum, it is what is called a "white" receiver. You have a very well made shotgun, don't worry about your top lever, it has plenty of bite, and changing the spring won't move it to the right. As long as the lockup is tight when the forend is off, shoot it. Nice gun, if I found one that looked like that I'd buy it as fast as I could fill out the paperwork.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 am 
Utility Grade

Hello,

Thanks for your answers, soon I'll try skeet for the first time with this riffle. Does it suit for compak shooting too ?

Another question if I would like go huntinh with this rifle, can I shoot slug and also does steel ball are ok with this rifle ?

As the barrel are liss could I take it for bird hunting I think the open shock is a problem ?

Thank you vey much again !

Have a nice day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That gun will work for all of the clay games, maybe not perfectly, but it will work.

With the open chokes I don't see a problem with slugs, but I am uneducated on steel balls. Do you load the steel ball in a sabot or plastic wad to protect the bore?

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:33 pm 
Field Grade

Is this the company that took ove for Miruku?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 am 
Tournament Grade

havelocksparky wrote:
Is this the company that took ove for Miruku?

No. Olin-Kodensha went out of business long ago.

Nobody has take over Miroku for the manufacturing of Browning over/unders and bolt action rifles.