Shotgun Forum banner

Noticeable difference???

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  leftieD 
#1 ·
I am sure someone has asked this same question, but I am not that good at searching past topics.

Anyhow, how much noticeable difference is shooting a left hand gun apposed to a right handed gun? This coming from someone who has shot right handed guns left handed all his life. And as an FYI I pretty much shoot only O/U and SxS.

#2 ·
As far as difference goes, there's not generally much between the two. Some models have a few subtle differences between right and left hand models. For example, the safety on pumps, auto's etc., the butt stock can have a slight cant to one side or the other (depending on whether the gun is left or right) to seat the comb more comfortably in the shooter's cheek and line up his/her eye more naturally atop the sighting plane. With o/u's and side x side's especially, the lock release on top of the receiver will only move in the one direction (with right handed guns, it moves to the right and vice versa). There can be a few other differences, that try to contribute more to the comfort of the shooter than the overall proficiency. At the end of the day, if it fits well, it's good no matter whether it's a lefty or a righty. My best fitting o/u is a right handed superposed broadway trap, and I'm a lefty.

#3 ·
With most repeating shotguns after making the safety left handed, the only other concern is ejection. I have never been bothered by shells ejecting from right handed firearms, but I have seen a Remington 1100 burst a barrel for no good reason.

The right handed shooter was not seriously injured but a lefty might have caught a little iron from the receiver and barrel coming apart. As a result I have purchased a few left handed 870's Ithaca 37's and a left handed 1187. I still shoot right handed mod. 12 Winchesters.

The other problem is with bolt action firearms both rifle and shotgun. As slow as a bolt action is when fired from the proper shoulder, it becomes a single shot with a convenient location for extra ammo when fired from the opposite side.

#4 ·
Stock "cast" is the most noticeable difference. With a tiny amount of cast, 1/8" or less, you might not notice. However, make that 1/4" or more and you'll find the gun quite difficult to shoot.

A shotgun with a left hand cast is a dream to shoot. I've only ever shot one and I was breaking 24 within the first couple of rounds. One day I will get a stock with the proper cast to it. Until then I'll continue with neutral cast guns.

#5 ·
Safety on the autos and pumps can be switch around on most, personally never had a problem with the shell ejection in a right handed shotgun and never seen a gun blowup unless the shell was improperly loaded or a barrel obstruction.
Rast has got it right the cast on measurement that is important. There are others to be sure but cast is one of the biggies. If you take the time to have your shotgun fitted you might not ever want to shoot one that isn't. I've had all my shotguns properly fitted and gone so far as to fit all my long guns. It's nice to mount a gun and each and everytime you know everything is as it sould be without any unneeded movement of head,shoulders etc. and the gun is shooting where you're looking. Same with a rifle, bringing it up to your shoulder and cheek and your eye being centered in the scope and no creeping on the stock one way or the other for the proper sight picture.

#6 ·
Only problem I've had with a RH autoloader shotgun is back when I used the fork-type shell catcher in 1100s. Had to rotate my right arm underneath the gun. I do have an autoloading .22 that ejects onto my arm. I've had no trouble pushing the lock release on O/U guns and would find having to pull it uncomfortable. For shotguns, I'd agree that fit is more important than who the action is design for. Bolt actions, I love the LH deer rifle I have. The old RH Model 70 shot great, but it was a hassle to load that second shell if needed.

#7 ·
I would have to agree with Rastoff's comment. Once I had my Wingmaster cast for a left hander it became a pleasure to shoot. The gunsmith that did the work said it has a right handed cast beforehand. I am not an experienced shooter, but it was quite obvious to me that the gun did not fit me. Now when I bring it up I can look straight down the sights and no longer have to twist it to get a good look. One of these days I will actually hit what I aim at.

#8 ·
If you're shooting in the field then the difference can be huge. Gun fit is much more important when not pre-mounting a gun. Ideally you don't even look down the barrel of a properly fitted gun - just keep your eyes on the bird and when the gun come up you fire. However, if you have a RH gun (or other not correct stock) then you'll F around getting the gun to line up so you have to waste seconds getting the correct lineup and be able to sight --- often bye-bye bird or you shoot behind the bird. $0.02 Why do you think RH shooter have RH'ed guns?

#10 ·
If you're shooting in the field then the difference can be huge. Gun fit is much more important when not pre-mounting a gun. Ideally you don't even look down the barrel of a properly fitted gun - just keep your eyes on the bird and when the gun come up you fire. However, if you have a RH gun (or other not correct stock) then you'll F around getting the gun to line up so you have to waste seconds getting the correct lineup and be able to sight --- often bye-bye bird or you shoot behind the bird. $0.02 Why do you think RH shooter have RH'ed guns
Good point, now for the million dollar question. Mid-bead are normally found on clay shooting gun opposed to field guns, so would you say that a mid-bead could or would help counter act the time spent lining up your target?

#12 ·
AcesUp011 said:
Anyhow, how much noticeable difference is shooting a left hand gun apposed to a right handed gun? This coming from someone who has shot right handed guns left handed all his life. And as an FYI I pretty much shoot only O/U and SxS.
How noticeable is the difference? To some, it might not be much. But my son is a lefty, and with him it made a TON of difference. He has a lefty AR, and his shotgun stock has been shimmed. With the AR, he would at times get powder flakes on his glasses, and there is a certain amount of gas out of the action that can become distracting. He shot a RH rifle well enough, but getting the action on the side "where it belongs" made him much more comfortable with it. As for the shotgun, his skeet scores rose significantly after the stock adjustment.

And in my humble opinion, there's just something "unnerving" about having your face on the "wrong" side of the receiver ..... it's kinda like wearing pants that don't fit. :shock:

#13 ·
I used to shoot nothing but right handed autos and pumps for skeet and trap. Then I saw an 1100 explode. We never learned why it happened, but it worried me a little because a left handed person might have gotten a face full. I went a little nuts, picked up an 1187 left hand, 2 Ithaca 37s, and 3 left handed 870s. Not to mention the lh bolt action rifles I have. Oh and the barrels.. lots of them to..lol. I still shoot right handed pumps, esp. mod. 12 Winchesters and sub gauge 870s and Mossberg 500. My all time favorite pump is a Winchester 1200, that has accounted for many different animals, from upland birds, waterfowl and deer. I do not worry about that one because the bolt lock-up is pretty solid.

I tried to shoot a couple doubles, and I guess I am just to blue collar for them. I just like repeaters I guess. At least we have Ithaca, and Browning with their pumps. It is to bad that there are so few options for us, the manufacturers claim they can not make a profit out of the arms they make left handed, but it seems archery and golf don't mind us.

#15 ·
fireguymike said:
I tried to shoot a couple doubles, and I guess I am just to blue collar for them. I just like repeaters I guess. At least we have Ithaca, and Browning with their pumps. It is to bad that there are so few options for us, the manufacturers claim they can not make a profit out of the arms they make left handed, but it seems archery and golf don't mind us.
Mike, if more LH shooters stopped buying RH'ed guns, you'd be surprised just how many makers would have to introduce LH'ed guns. (IMHO) Or at least LH'ed stocks.

#16 ·
Hidalgo said:
AcesUp011 said:
And in my humble opinion, there's just something "unnerving" about having your face on the "wrong" side of the receiver ..... it's kinda like wearing pants that don't fit. :shock:
Have you seen just how many US presidents have been LH'ed? Just how many TV gun show shooters are LH'ed? Maybe it's the RH'ed people that are wrong sided? IMHO, we're the one's looking at a backwards world. :roll: {hs#

#17 ·
Safeties or shells ejecting haven't bothered me. What does get to me, when shooting Rhed guns, is the cast and those freakin palm swells. I have the worst time shooting Berretta O/Us. I've not met one of them yet that didn't have stock bent like a boomerang.

HWD

#18 ·
leftieD said:
Hidalgo said:
AcesUp011 said:
Have you seen just how many US presidents have been LH'ed? Just how many TV gun show shooters are LH'ed? Maybe it's the RH'ed people that are wrong sided? IMHO, we're the one's looking at a backwards world. :roll: {hs#
I think you misunderstood my point ... There isn't a wrong side, or a right side, unless the action is on the same side as your face. THAT'S the "wrong side" ... whichever side it may be. :wink:

#19 ·
My joke failed. Just meant that "wrong" sided is in the eye of the beholder? More of less like why we think driving on the "right" side is correct vs. in England and Japan where they insist on driving on the "wrong" side. It turns out that England/Japan both have the same reason for driving on what they see as the "right" side -- goes back to days of old, when knights were bold. You passed an unknown person coming down a road, sword arm to sword arm, and since most people are RH'ed, you rode on the left side of a road. Ditto for why you shake hands with your right hand and sit on the right side of the king -- harder to draw your blade and hack at the king from that side or to stab the person that you shake hands with. Unless you just happen to be LH'ed. :lol: :lol:

So the "wrong" side perception is something that we all have to deal with. But you are 100% correct - gun parts, hot ejected brass or even burnt powder is not nice to catch with your face.

#20 ·
huntswithdogs said:
Safeties or shells ejecting haven't bothered me. What does get to me, when shooting Rhed guns, is the cast and those freakin palm swells. I have the worst time shooting Berretta O/Us. I've not met one of them yet that didn't have stock bent like a boomerang.

HWD
+1 on that!

#21 ·
I really enjoyed reading this thread since I witnessed a buddy go from consistently shooting 22 out of 25 on the trap range with his SXS and dropped his score significantly when he found his gun to be cast on(lefty). A key question comes to mind which is how much of the cast issue plays with the shooters head? I have mainly shot slight cast off and cast neutral double guns being a south paw and never experienced dramatic effect at either the range or in the field. I do pay closer attention now when I'm buying a new gun since I am more aware of the issue.

#22 ·
yankee57 said:
I really enjoyed reading this thread since I witnessed a buddy go from consistently shooting 22 out of 25 on the trap range with his SXS and dropped his score significantly when he found his gun to be cast on(lefty). A key question comes to mind which is how much of the cast issue plays with the shooters head? I have mainly shot slight cast off and cast neutral double guns being a south paw and never experienced dramatic effect at either the range or in the field. I do pay closer attention now when I'm buying a new gun since I am more aware of the issue.
Yes, cast does "play" with a shooters head. As in tilting one's head so that your eyes are aligned like this:

....o
o ^

(ignore the ......'s added to move the "o" to the right)
vs.

0^0

(Sorry but that's the best I can do with character map symbols)

If you have to wrap your face over the stock then you will not shoot as well as with a proper fitted stock. But messing with the mind of your opponent spooked also helps. LOL

Edited to add a good video regarding gun fit can be seen by going to Shooting Sportsman website and clicking on the Sporting Shot tab. Then pick from the RH list of issues the 2nd issue. Click on the title picture and the issue will "open" so you can view it. . If you click a few pages to the list of features, page 84 there's the continuing story regarding a restoration of a Winchester Model 21. Click on the story and you will be taken to page 84 and you can view the video about the restoration. About 1/2 way through this part of the restoration they go to a gunstock maker and put a new stock on the gun. Gun fit is very well discussed.

#23 ·
Yankee,
If you shoot one gun enough, you learn HOW to shoot it. Shoot another one for awhile and you'd probably have to retrain yourself to shoot the first one again. Least that's the way it is for me...
Us lefties have learned to adapt. Heck we have too!

HWD

#24 ·
huntswithdogs said:
Yankee,
If you shoot one gun enough, you learn HOW to shoot it. Shoot another one for awhile and you'd probably have to retrain yourself to shoot the first one again. Least that's the way it is for me...
Us lefties have learned to adapt. Heck we have too!

HWD
True, but only if the two guns are not fitted to match you. Get a fitting and make the gun fit you.

#25 ·
A recent experience that I went through, once again proved to me, that I need a LH cast gun. I traded two guns towards a 20 gauge Dickinson SxS that spoke to me on the Cabela's website. These guns are the same as the S&W Gold Elite (SxS) and Silver Elite (O/U) and are nice guns for the money. Of course, they only come with a slight RH cast to the stock. After shooting a break in round of sporting clays my shoulder was pretty beat up. That's with lighter recoil than my 12 gauge, so the gun is going off to a gunsmith for bending. When I shoot my 12 gauge with its LH cast stock and don't suffer at all after a round of S.C.'s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.