CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LH Trap gun...what to buy?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

My son needs a trap gun....he's a lefty of course (he never makes anything easy on the old man!)

I want an O/U for him. Monte Carlo stock. With cast on....not neutral. Naturally, I don't want to pay a kings ransom (1200 tops). He likes trap and does well....so I want to get him a dedicated trap gun.

Need some suggestions....

thanks!

Trail

Post subject: Re: LH Trap gun...what to buy?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

$1200 is going to be your starting point, and that will get you a well used Citori or 682/686/687 Beretta. You are also going to have trouble finding a gun w/ LH wood for that price.

$1200 won't get you anything new that is going to be LH, trap appropriate, and that will last...

You really need to step up to the $2k to $2500 range before your looking at new guns (Brownings and Berettas) and guns that won't be quite as hard to find w/ LH wood.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TRImports is getting out of importing Huglu guns (lawsuit with CZ) and they are selling off their stock of SG's. You might be able to score a deal on a Huglu with a LH stock. Or a semi-auto with shims.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sorry to say, but a Huglu is NOT a long term gun that will stand up to heavy target use. Its made for the guy thats going to shoot 1 or 2 boxes every few weeks, and will probably move on to something else in a couple years. They are made of soft metal, and the barrels are not well regulated. When you go to sell it, you'll get a small fraction of what you paid, whereas w/ a used Browning or Beretta, you can buy it, shoot it for a few years, and if you took good care of it, you can get most, all, or more than you paid back for it.

If $1200 is truly everything that you can muster, look for a Remington 1100/1187 or Beretta 390/391. Both guns are head and shoulders above a $1200 o/u quality wise, and will be much easier to find parts and service for them in the long run.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just have a hard time justifying 1800 or $2000 for a gun for a 15 year old boy. He loves the sport and he's pretty good, but still.....

Trail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet_Man wrote:
Sorry to say, but a Huglu is NOT a long term gun that will stand up to heavy target use. Its made for the guy thats going to shoot 1 or 2 boxes every few weeks, and will probably move on to something else in a couple years. They are made of soft metal, and the barrels are not well regulated. When you go to sell it, you'll get a small fraction of what you paid, whereas w/ a used Browning or Beretta, you can buy it, shoot it for a few years, and if you took good care of it, you can get most, all, or more than you paid back for it.

If $1200 is truly everything that you can muster, look for a Remington 1100/1187 or Beretta 390/391. Both guns are head and shoulders above a $1200 o/u quality wise, and will be much easier to find parts and service for them in the long run.

Here's a thread in the Huglu Forum that's attempting to put that old wife's tale to bed. CDB is at 16,000+ and still shooting with his Huglu. No fail to fires, no gun breakage and he's not stopped shooting it.

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=189338&start=1020

OBTW, Tom Knapp is now shooting Huglu's (CZ semi's and O/U).

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get back to me when he has 160,000 rounds through the gun... Most competition shooters are putting well over 10k rounds through their gun in a year.

And tom knapp is shooting huglus b/c Benelli dropped him, and CZ was most likely the only one left that'd pay him to shoot for them. Do you really think he went to CZ, or Flannigan went to Mossberg b/c they make guns that are superior to what their previous employer's manufactured?

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
Get back to me when he has 160,000 rounds through the gun...

Is the boy shooting competition?

Tom Knapp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Trail, are you concerned about his first gun being able to shoot 10,000 rounds a year for the next 16yrs?

B.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet Man please tell us all about all the Huglus you've owned and worn out. We need to soak up all your vast knowledge. We're talking about a gun for a 15-yr old here. Sheesh some people and their long noses.........

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have first hand knowledge of the quality of materials and mfg from a well respected gunsmith who won't work on them anymore b/c the metal is so soft and the sears wear out quickly.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I thought so - hearsay.....

Gig 'Em Aggies!

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How is it hearsay when you were told first hand from the source of the information?

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm with Skeet Man on this one. A Huglu may be ok as a hunting gun but they were not designed for heavy target shooting. Yes I do own a Huglu so I know how mine is built.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet_Man wrote:
How is it hearsay when you were told first hand from the source of the information?

You answered your own question. That's the very definition of hearsay.

Gig 'Em Aggies!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

skeeter1804 wrote:
I'm with Skeet Man on this one. A Huglu may be ok as a hunting gun but they were not designed for heavy target shooting. Yes I do own a Huglu so I know how mine is built.

You and Skeet Man are the only ones who have brought up "heavy target shooting".

Gig 'Em Aggies!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet_Man wrote:
I have first hand knowledge of the quality of materials and mfg from a well respected gunsmith who won't work on them anymore b/c the metal is so soft and the sears wear out quickly.

1st hand knowledge - something that I (me, myself or I) determined with scientific process.

Hearsay - repeating something told to me by someone that may or may not have a bias.

Soft metal - first used to poo-poo Belgium made trade guns prior to WWI. Then Spanish shotguns after WWII. Later used at various times to poo-poo shotguns from Italy, Japan and now Turkey. OBTW, Beretta purchases shotgun barrels from Turkey.

Huglu shotguns did have problems with firing pins breaking on guns made prior to sometime in 2007. The problem was that the pins were brazed to the hammer and the brazing process caused the pins to break. Changes were made in the manufacturing process.

Beretta, Browning and a whole host of other guns are very good and have great resale value. MSRP is up there these days, not as high a Perazzi or Ludic or a Blaser or many other guns, but still excellent guns. But that doesn't mean that there are not other guns that are suitable out there. A F.A.I.R. made O/U shotgun sold by Verona was a great buy a few years ago when Verona closed their doors. Many were picked up for about $500 to $700. Some people got a sweet deal on the Zoli made Verona guns. A great trap gun. But more money than the F.A.I. R. made field or sporting clays guns, but less than a new Zoli. I just snagged a Dickinson SxS shotgun that was imported for a short period of time, it is the exact same gun as the S&W Elite Gold. S&W and Dickinson SxS SG's are now selling at a large discount from MSRP. Market failures. So I made a deal on mine with Cabela's and after trading in 2 safe queens plus Cabela points plus a 10% discount offer from Cabela's on any puchase and I got a super deal. OBTW, this gun was also made in Turkey. So it must be a soft metal POS too?

― Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been down the quality road enough times that I'm not going to do it again.

I will say this... as a field gun, a Huglu shoots far too flat to be appropriate as a good choice for trap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

All well and good, guys. Sorry to pour water on it, but let's talk about my boy's gun...OK? I'd like some ideas.

Right now leaning toward a 101...simply because there seem to be a few lefties around. I've also heard some negatives about recoil on the 101.

Looking strictly for a left stock, Monte Carlo.

Charles Daly guns from the 70's and 80's (Miroku) seem to be very good values...were any made as lefties?

Answering the earlier question....he shoots in 3 leagues per year and we go to the occasional weekend Lewis shoot. Holds a 22 average, so there's some talent there (gets it from his Mom's side)

Trail

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

the old 101's have brutal recoil, and unless you are trying to punish your boy for being REALLY bad, you don't want to do that to him.

I don't know if any lefty Mirokus are around or not, but they are a better value for the money...