CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: LH Trap gun...what to buy?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Trail....

My apologies if I am being dense....I do that sometimes.

But I haven't learned a lot about what exactly you are looking for in this gun for your son, so I'm going to ask a few questions before I give you my thoughts on what would make a good gun for him.....

You've said...

1) Dedicated Trap gun.
2) $1200 tops.
3) Your Son is 15.
4) Need Cast on.
5) O/U.
6) Monte Carlo stock.

My questions....

Realistically, what kind of volume is your Son likely to shoot....specifically through this proposed gun? Not through all guns that he owns or shoots.

What other guns (types) has your Son shot?

Do you expect this gun to be his primary shooter for the next 5, 10 or more years or do you expect him to succumb to the "I want a new shotgun" bug that infects so many of us?

You say he needs a left hand gun, but does that mean that you want a "true" left hand gun with a reversed top lever, or would a gun that simply was cast on and had a Monte Carlo stock be satisfactory?

If you can provide this additional information I'll do my humble best to make some suggestions.

Best....2few

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:37 am 
Diamond Grade

If you have to make 3 threads to defend your gun of choice, you should rethink your priorities. There isn't any other gun fans who go running back to their respective forums when someone says something bad about their guns.
Huglus make decent field guns if they don't break, but they aren't target guns. If you're shooting trap 2-3 times a week the price of ammo will be more than gun pretty fast, so not spending the extra money to get a quality O/U is silly. For the price of a new Huglu gun you can get a stellar used O/U that's better suited for clay shooting. How do I know? I sold my Huglu O/U and picked up a Miroku SxS, and the quality differences is stunning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Consider a BT-99 if he doesn't shoot doubles. $1200 with an additional $100 rebate if he shoot on a 4H or SCTP team. Take the additional $200 and have an adjustable comb to adjust the cast and there you go!

That is what I did with my son, but I also but a Ken Rucker Bump Buster on it so the tab was closer to $1700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

answers to 2fewdays....

reversed thumb not necessary.
shoots 2500 to 3000 per year
If he gets "new gun" syndrome he'll do it on his own dime

As for the BT....he's kind of like me. I like to shoot something that doesn't need a name tag on it to find it in the gun rack. Don't anyone get mad!....we both just like to shoot unique stuff (my trap gun is a Gamba Edinburgh). The BT is by far the best value for a dedicated trap gun there is...just not his cup of tea.

Trail

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you Trail!

I'll do my humble best to offer some suggestions that actually are within your stated budget or at least not wildly over it.

As I am sure you know, 2-3K rounds per year is not "High volume" by any stretch of the imagination. Its about what I shoot. So the truth is that any decent quality gun that meets your other requirements......cast on, monte carlo, O/U, under $1200 (or close... :lol: :lol: :lol: ) will do the job.

Naturally, my suggestions are prejudiced by my own experiences.

1) Always my sentimental favorite. DeHaan. O/U, cast on, left hand top lever, 28 or 30" barrels, custom stock dimensions, Monte Carlo stock, 5 choke tubes, grade III wood, choice of 3 engraving patterns. $1,600.

Yes....It's a Huglu. And it is over your stated budget, but it is the best bargain in the left hand world. The cast on and leftie top lever should make your son very comfortable and truly encourage his interest in the shooting sports. At the rate your son shoots it will last him well into the point where he is making enough money to pay for the next step up himself. The guns are made to order and you'll have 6-8 months to pay for it which should help with the 33% "over budget".

2) Call Chuck at TR Imports and see if he has any O/U, cast on guns with monte carlo. He is offering a 10% discount until the end of the month so total cost would probably be $1,000 or less. Again....a Huglu, but at 2-3K shells per year that is not an issue.

3) Can you find a Neutral cast gun that fits the other requirements (Monte Carlo, O/U) that runs $1050 or less? If so, get it and send it to Mike Orlen and for $150 or less (including R/T shipping) he will bend the stock to cast on. Can he bend a cast off stock to cast on? I don't know. Call him and ask. Does good stock bending, offers discounts to SGW people, works quickly.

4) I'm running out of ideas. But Mike Orlen's services should open up some possibilities to you that would bring some other guns within reach of your budget.

5) You don't have to buy used or spend $2,000 or more to get your Son a gun that will serve him very well for the next 10 years or so at the rate he shoots.

Happy hunting! Get the boy a gun that really turns him on and help built the next generation of shooters!

Best.....2few

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Trail wrote:
As for the BT....he's kind of like me. I like to shoot something that doesn't need a name tag on it to find it in the gun rack. Don't anyone get mad!....we both just like to shoot unique stuff (my trap gun is a Gamba Edinburgh). The BT is by far the best value for a dedicated trap gun there is...just not his cup of tea.

First, the Gamba is a heck of a gun. It's "different" in that you don't see many, but it's a high quality piece. I'd be more concerned about finding yor boy a quality piece than a unique one. Whether that means tracking down another Gamba or buying an old reliable BT, at least buy the boy a trap gun, not a field gun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm a lefty trap shooter and started out with a few RH guns.
With a neutral stock and an adjustable pad and comb, most will fit
a lefty quite well. With that I would look hard at a used Browning XT.
If you watch some of the trap sites you can also stumble across a LH stock
for the Browning.
Another option is a LH 1100, they are around and not that expensive.
When he gets really good and has a full ride college scholarship then he
can advance to a Kolar, they offer three off the shelf LH stocks or for a few
bucks more they will it to you at their factory.
LH stocks can be made for any gun, a good source for them is Wenig.
http://www.wenig.com/ Find a good gun and buy one of their off the shelf LH stocks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

You might be able to find an older Citori. But that would be about it. I saw one the other day, a combo. Lose with bluing wear but with a bright bore. ~1400? It would likely need two or three hundred in work to tighten it up and likely needs trigger work. But that is about as cheap as it gets.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

I guess it's my turn to add some fuel to the fire. Check out the Stoeger Competition.

Ableammo's got the left-handed model for $569.00 with free shipping. Here's their link:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default ... _6207_6211

I've put 1200 rounds through my Stoeger Condor since March and have found it to be reliable and fun to shoot. It's not designed for heavy competitive use, but should more than adequately meet the needs of your son.

P.S. I can't believe all the Huglu bashing going on in this thread. Some folks need to do their homework on the quality of these guns nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While some may say they shoot a neutral stocked gun well, I wonder how many people have had a real professional gun fit and then continue to find a neutral stock gun fits correctly? But everyone is built differently and maybe some can life with a neutral stocked gun. I am strongly left-eyed and my dominate eye doesn't not come close to lining up over a neutral stock. So my feeling is that a cheap set of LH golf clubs would better than a great set of RH clubs if you are LH'ed. Or a more correct analogy for shotguns, if you are left eyed. Again there aren't any neutral "stocked" golf clubs, but I'm trying to make a point that you don't drive a British right-hand wheel car in the US because that's what they do in England and you don't wear a RH'ed baseball mitt if you are LH'ed. Buy the correct tool for the job. If you are going to be an ATA shooter and shoot 10,000's of rounds per year then expect to wear out a lower cost gun in a few years or to pony up the money and buy an expensive gun. If you're a weekend warrior and going to shoot a few boxes a shells a month then a low cost gun may last you years. I'll let you know when I wear out my DeHaan SGr if or when it ever happens.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Reading through this thread makes me realize how spoiled my kid is. He is 14 and using
my Dad's 1100 and an 870 20ga, but this spring we are thinking of surprising him with
a left handed Browning Citori Trap XT. Looking at putting a GraCoil bumper on it as well.

Yes he is left eye dominant as well so I thought I'd get him something that will fit him best
so he can appreciate it for a long time to come. A guy at the club last week let us shoot his
XS and man that is a nice gun and my kid loved it.

Me I'm happy with my Ghetto gun Huglus and Remingtons so I don't mind getting him one
gun that he is going to use and love.